Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Towing- From CRV to Grd Cherokee Limt.

Couple of questions on switching Toads.

Any reason to switch from Blue Ox baseplate & tow bar to Demco product?

Will i feel my new ‘19 DSDP 4328 lagging up hill with Jeep? 1800lbs heavier?

Lots written about the Grd Cherokee and the “death wobble” steering when you make a sharp turn at very low speeds, anyone here have thoughts about that?
What has been your experience.

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vette View Post

Lots written about the Grd Cherokee and the “death wobble” steering when you make a sharp turn at very low speeds, anyone here have thoughts about that?

Thanks in advance

We have been towing a '17 GC Limited for the past year with no signs of a 'death wobble.' As I understand it, that was a problem with Cherokees, but not the Grand Cherokee. Easy to confuse, and lots of people do.

Can't say how much you may feel it with your DS, but it's minimal drag with our Ventana. As for tow bars/baseplates, we use Roadmaster Sterling and it has been trouble-free and easy to use.

Best wishes and happy travels with your new rig!
Old 04-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

We have a 2015 DSDP 4369 and we travel up and down Loveland Pass, don’t even know our Grand Cherokee is there. Awesome combination by the way!

All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last winter we pulled a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee behind our 2005 Winnebago 38J with the 8.1 GM motor for over 5,000 miles without any issues, and it didnt seem to pull any different than the 1999 Chevy Blazer that we had pulled in previous years.

We went with a Demco base plate because that is the brand we had on the Blazer. Had I had it do do over again I would use a Blue Ox BX1128 base plate as I hadnt seen this unit before ordering the Demco.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #5

I have been towing a '17 Grand Cherokee Summit for two years. You will eventually get a "wobble" with the toad darting back and forth in an oscillation if you hit a bump while turning at low speeds. Left turns seem to make it more likely than right turns. You will notice it immediately, and the cure is to bring the coach to a stop and then start again. I wouldn't call it a death wobble, but quite a few owners have reported it on a Grand Cherokee-specific thread in the "Toads and MH Towing" forum.

I have a 2017 Dutch Star 4018. I haven't towed anything but the GC, so I can't help with a comparison of a lighter toad, but my DS handles the GC as a toad acceptably.

YMMV,
Barry
bd041556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #6

Back to the OP's question about Demco and Blue Ox.
My feelings are that if you have a Demco towbar, stay with the system - Demco all the way. I am not sure how the Blue Ox got in the system.
I bought a used Demco towbar and then bought the Demco baseplate for my Jeep WK - less things to go wrong. I also bought the Demco tail light wiring adapter - very nice and works great. Oh and a Demco cover for the towbar too.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks in advance

I have a 17 DSDP 4369 towing a 17 Grand Cherokee. I’ve never had the death wobble while towing. Only exception is when I had to back up a few feet, then pulled forward. Took about 40-50 feet to get the tires centered with the coach. The death wobble was associated with the Cherokee and pertained to the fact that the electronic steering was not energized while towing. Chrysler solved the situation with a wiring harness that required inserting a fuse to energize. Had it put on my 14 Cherokee and never had an issue with death wobble.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Have you definitely decided to change your toad to a Jeep?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #9

Yes i have, I’ve owned the GC for a couple of yrs now and bought with the intent when the CRV started getting the miles built up i could switch over to GC.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:17 AM   #10

For the 2019 Jeep Cherokee the manufacture correcter the issue. Prior to 2019, an additional wiring harness allowed the e-power steering to engage correcting the problem.
The current GC may have the fix also. Do be sure the transmission is suited for flat towing.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Friend of mine had the steering issue and had the new harness installed. He had to insert a fuse when towing which kept the steering energized. Worked fine but do remember he forgot to pull the fuse once and had a dead battery on the toad next time he tried to start it.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #12

I've used Demco and Blue Ox base plates and found them both to be excellent. I chose Blue Ox in 2014 (currently using) for the removable tabs. It's a good fit for me as we use the RV infrequently and the toad is my daily driver. If I was full timing that might neutralize the difference between the two.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #13

We also tow a '17 Grand Cherokee Overland and have had no issues at all. We went from a CRV also originally when we had a Ventana. It still towed well maybe feeling a little bit of a difference due to the weight difference but with the MA it doesn't even seem that it is back there. No wobble in the two years that we have been towing it. As others said it is the Cherokee that had this issue and not the GC.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #14

We tow a 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited and have not experienced the “death wobble” but I’m grateful to everyone who has reported it and if it happens, I know to stop the coach and then start again. Ours has been a superb vehicle to tow—easy to hookup and disconnect the transfer.

We use a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar with an Air Force One brake controller. Only problem we’ve had is with one brake light.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, tow, towing