RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Towing GM car with RKE - push button on/off

I'm considering upgrading my Yukon to be towed behind my DSDP. It does have four-wheel drive with a two speed transfer case.

Going through the owners manual, I have two questions:

A) Why do I have to disconnect the battery cable or damage could occur to the vehicle? How? I've never disconnected my battery because most of my trips are 4 hours or less.

B) Since I have Remote Keyless Entry with the power on/off button, how can I keep the steering wheel from locking up? The manual says:

7. Shift the transmission to P (Park).
8. Move the steering wheel to make sure the steering column is unlocked.
9. With a foot on the brake pedal, release the parking brake.
10. Keep the ignition key in the towed vehicle in ACC/ ACCESSORY to prevent the steering column from locking. If equipped with Keyless Access, keep the RKE transmitter outside of the vehicle, and manually lock the doors.

If i go around a turn and the front wheels turn, won't the steering wheel turn and lock up?

thanks for any help you can provide me on this ....!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jerry_Keller,
The steering wheel needs to turn as the coach turns. Doing all these steps, most likely, gets the computer in a towing mind set. Disconnecting the battery cable allows the vehicle to "freeze" itself in the last known command state. This would be all those steps you took to get it into tow mode.

Consider getting a large bright colored rag. Tie it to the top of the steering wheel. In the rear view camera you will see the rag come back to center once any turn is completed.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Jerry_Keller,
The steering wheel needs to turn as the coach turns. Doing all these steps, most likely, gets the computer in a towing mind set. Disconnecting the battery cable allows the vehicle to "freeze" itself in the last known command state. This would be all those steps you took to get it into tow mode.

Consider getting a large bright colored rag. Tie it to the top of the steering wheel. In the rear view camera you will see the rag come back to center once any turn is completed.
Interesting point. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Jerry, can't answer your battery disconnect query, however you have to leave the key in the ignition in the ACC position so the steering wheel doesn't lock. I had another key made for my car, plain key with no chip so no one can start the vehicle. Actually maybe just thought of the reason to disconnect battery, steering wheel lock maybe electric. Good luck, Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDon View Post
Jerry, can't answer your battery disconnect query, however you have to leave the key in the ignition in the ACC position so the steering wheel doesn't lock. I had another key made for my car, plain key with no chip so no one can start the vehicle. Actually maybe just thought of the reason to disconnect battery, steering wheel lock maybe electric. Good luck, Don
I have a keyless ignition; no key - just the transmitter in my pocket and a power on/off button on the dash. So, that is exactly my concern - how to keep the steering shaft from locking up if the wheels turn slightly going around a corner.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Keller View Post
I have a keyless ignition; no key - just the transmitter in my pocket and a power on/off button on the dash. So, that is exactly my concern - how to keep the steering shaft from locking up if the wheels turn slightly going around a corner.
Most newer vehicle’s steering doesn’t lock like older vehicles. Just try moving your steering wheel with the vehicle off. I have a 2018 Mini Cooper Clubman, and a 2020 Jeep Gladiator, both with keyless ignition. Steering is unlocked on both with the key off.
Akdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We tow a 15 Escalade which is basically the same as the Yukon. I installed a battery disconnect solenoid with the switch in the dash. I follow the procedure in the manual.
1- Start the car
2- Shift to Neutral
3- Shift the transfer case to Neutral
4- Shut off the engine
5- kill the power by pushing the battery disconnect switch
6- Shift into park and turn the steering wheel to insure wheel not locked
This works very well and tows very nice
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akdare View Post
Most newer vehicle’s steering doesn’t lock like older vehicles. Just try moving your steering wheel with the vehicle off. I have a 2018 Mini Cooper Clubman, and a 2020 Jeep Gladiator, both with keyless ignition. Steering is unlocked on both with the key off.
I grab the steering wheel all the time when getting in the car; it always locks up.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
We tow a 15 Escalade which is basically the same as the Yukon. I installed a battery disconnect solenoid with the switch in the dash. I follow the procedure in the manual.
1- Start the car
2- Shift to Neutral
3- Shift the transfer case to Neutral
4- Shut off the engine
5- kill the power by pushing the battery disconnect switch
6- Shift into park and turn the steering wheel to insure wheel not locked
This works very well and tows very nice
JP
Sounds good; what remote battery disconnect do you have?
Old 10-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I used this one from roadmaster it was easy to install. The manual says to disconnect the Neg but I used this one https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-76...24265803&psc=1 It disconnects the Pos side and works fine
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #11

Quote:
I used this one from roadmaster it was easy to install. The manual says to disconnect the Neg but I used this one https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-76...24265803&psc=1 It disconnects the Pos side and works fine
JP
Excellent - good info.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
JP
Best $150 I ever spent, easy way to disconnect battery without getting out of vehicle. Also saves wear and tear on battery connections.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #13

Are you certain that your key fob doesn’t have a key in it? In my Jeep, I have RKE and push button start, both of which use the key FOB. However, in the event that the Key fob stops working and doesn’t unlock the car, or the push button start fails, I have small, almost nonexistent tiny toggle switch I can depress on my key fob, holding the fob in one hand and the key chain in the other pull them apart and put comes a physical key from the key fob.

Your instructions sound to me like they are saying to separate the key from the fob, to insert the key into the ignition and turn it to ACC mode. Keep the electronics key fob outside of the vehicle.

Alternatively, it might just be poor wording and what they mean is to put the car into ACC mode using your push button start and keep the entire key fob, Key included if you actually have one, outside of the vehicle. Typically you do this by pushing the button without putting your foot on the brake, which allows you to move the ignition into ACC mode without starting the vehicle.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Keller View Post
I grab the steering wheel all the time when getting in the car; it always locks up.
Your provided instructions say to keep the fob outside the vehicle if you have RKE. When you grab the wheel and it locks where is the fob? In your pocket? Try leaving the fob outside or better yet in the mh. Then turn the wheel. What happens?

On edit. Keep in mind that you have already disconnected the battery by step 7 which perhaps is why the steering wheel doesn’t lock any more.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing