Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 05:33 AM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I have the M&G and I can't imagine anything more simple. Can I ask why you think the AF1 is better?
Thanks
Bill
I'm curious also....Anyway

Call M&G, usually after an FMCA rally they have dozens of AF1 and Invisibrake systems used. Probably your best deal!

jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
I'm curious also....Anyway

Call M&G, usually after an FMCA rally they have dozens of AF1 and Invisibrake systems used. Probably your best deal!
That was funny...

Based on what people have said about their brake systems...both are great systems

Here's what I liked about the AF-1:

When designing a brake system that integrated to an AIR system...seemed normal to me the D.O.T. Approved brake servo and ping tank looks like a great idea. M&G's response is...nah, you don't need all that. If you cut the line your compressor will keep up with the air loss.

The AF-1 has a the brake away system included...it was a separate accessory with M&G.

The AF-1 taps into your vehicles vacuum line with check valves...this means that the brake pressure applied is just like normal braking when you drive...not an actuator pressing on a dead brake pedal. I like that...and wasn't certain that M&G had addressed that with their component that sandwiches in with your brake cylinder. Seems there is a whole lot more surface area in a vacuum servo..,than the M&G servo component.

What I didn't like about the M&G...

Corrupts the factory brake system
Brake Away was an add-on
Doesn't have vacuum assist...I.E. no power brakes to replicate real braking
No ping tank, or air fuse to isolate a leak from the coaches system
Have to in many cases take out your air filter canister and purchase a K&N filter in order to make room for the M&G component.

Anyway....those are just my opinions. For me...when I added up the number of satisfied AF-1 owner's comments to my impressions of the designs...which obviously have NOT been vetted by side-by-side engineering data...I chose the AF-1 system.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Roadmaster Even Brake is one of the few with inertial proportional braking. Love it.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #32

Hey Brian,

I have the M&G setup with the RockHard Bumper. It works great. The guys at independence did the jeep work and I haven't had any issues. They bolt it on to the brake master. Nothing goes inside the jeep. I don't know how airforce works but it looks like the valve is pulling on the brake pedal. The M&G uses the airline from the diesel brakes.

The Rockhard bumper is much cleaner than the Blue Ox...and as mentioned you can put a winch on it. :-)

-jeff
Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ready Brute! No issues towing my Wrangler. Good bang for the $$$
Old 03-15-2017, 04:54 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone! As mentioned earlier I went with the AF-1 due to the great deal a fellow member found me on a brand new unit. Also decided on the Blue Ox base plate as my wife liked the look of that rather than replacing the bumper. As they say happy wife, happy life!

Appreciate all the input!

Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing