Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing setup for Wrangler

So I just traded in my Grand Cherokee for a 2014 Wrangler 4 door (Sahara- Polar edition). I didn't bother to take out my old braking system as I was told it would be easier to start over. My local dealer (Independence) is recommending the M&G brake, however it seems quite a few have the AirForce One. Any recommendations on which might be best?

Also what light wiring kit do I need?

I'll be using my same Blue Ox tow bar (only 2 yrs old) and will be putting in a new Blue Ox baseplate.

Thanks for any input!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered the tow wiring harness from etrailer.com Sorry I don't have the exact part number handy, but their web site is very easy to find things on and their customer service people are good. It simply plugs in to the existing Wrangler wiring harness at the tail lights ... I did have to change the 4 pin flat connector at the front to a 6 pin round, to fit my existing coach to tow cable.

Have had the Airforce One system in two jeeps now and wouldn't use anything else ... it just works. The jeep side of the install on the Wrangler was a little tight (to put it mildly) in hindsight, I wish I had had it done rather than doing it myself.

We went with the Rockhard 4x4 bumper with integrated brackets that fit the Blue Ox tow bar Rock Hard 4x4™ Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper w/ Lowered Winch Mount for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2017 [RH-5005], but I had to get a new bumper to fit a recovery winch anyway, so it just made sense.

We went from a 2007 Grand Cherokee to a 2016 Wrangler and couldn't be happier ... good luck!
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I'm an AirForce One fan as well. When I traded our Discovery for the Newmar, I had them move the coach compressor from the Discovery to the Newmar.

The perfect braking system in my opinion.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

One more vote for AirForce One. Have had it on three coaches over several years and wouldn't have anything else.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
You might want to research the Readybrute Elite tow bar with built in surge brake. You get both for the price of one.

I installed one on a friends wrangler and it was pretty straight forward installation. Did have to drill a small hole in the fire wall for the cable, but other than that...piece of cake. I got the base plate from Blue Ox and the wiring kit from Roadmaster. Total cost was less than $1800 from Amazon.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
So I just traded in my Grand Cherokee for a 2014 Wrangler 4 door (Sahara- Polar edition). I didn't bother to take out my old braking system as I was told it would be easier to start over. My local dealer (Independence) is recommending the M&G brake, however it seems quite a few have the AirForce One. Any recommendations on which might be best?
I've had both the M&G and the Air Force One systems. To me, the Air Force One system is the best.

I also opted for a tow bar-to-bumper instead of tow bar-to-baseplate set up.

Here's my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JK Air Force One install.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
I ordered the tow wiring harness from etrailer.com Sorry I don't have the exact part number handy, but their web site is very easy to find things on and their customer service people are good. It simply plugs in to the existing Wrangler wiring harness at the tail lights ... I did have to change the 4 pin flat connector at the front to a 6 pin round, to fit my existing coach to tow cable.

Have had the Airforce One system in two jeeps now and wouldn't use anything else ... it just works. The jeep side of the install on the Wrangler was a little tight (to put it mildly) in hindsight, I wish I had had it done rather than doing it myself.

We went with the Rockhard 4x4 bumper with integrated brackets that fit the Blue Ox tow bar Rock Hard 4x4™ Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper w/ Lowered Winch Mount for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2017 [RH-5005], but I had to get a new bumper to fit a recovery winch anyway, so it just made sense.

We went from a 2007 Grand Cherokee to a 2016 Wrangler and couldn't be happier ... good luck!
We have the Air Force One and Rock Hard bumper, too. I installed both myself and it wasn't all that difficult. Finding a place for the control box under the hood was the hardest part. I saw a video this morning where the installer stuck the control box under the drivers seat. I never thought of that!

I did my own wiring. When the ignition is off on the Jeep, the brake lights still work. When the AFO activates the brakes, the brake light signal overrides any turn signal blinking from the coach. I didn't know of any commercially available wiring kit that accounted for this so I did my own. lI used a relay to disconnect the brake lights from the Wrangler stop light switch and connect them to the coach wiring harness.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For Wiring...

Look for the Mopar Wiring Harness... Part No. 82211156AB

This harness tee's into your vehicles harness connections located in the right kick panel. You drill one hole thru the firewall...and route the wire to the front of your vehicle. I connected it to the receptacle on the front for the Blue Ox connector. So I have a blue coil wire that goes from the 7-pin on the Coach to the Blue Ox 6-pin receptacle on the base plate...

Here's what I used...

AF-1 brake system
Blue Ox Base plate
Blue Ox Tow Bar (Aventa II...but I would consider the Avail)
Blue Ox 7 to 6 pin wiring harness
Mopar 82211156AB
Blue Ox Tow Bar Cover

Very, Very satisfied with the results....
Old 03-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/mopar...ml#post1999444

Hopefully that link will take you to an excellent description of the wiring by FLSTEVE. It made my installation go smoothly...
Old 03-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone! Seems AF-1 is route to go. I know a master tech from a local dealer who does work for cash on side out at your house so I'll start ordering supplies to get him to install.

Appreciate it!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm using a Brake Buddy now and it does the job. However, when it fails I will replace with Air Force One.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #12

I have a 2017 Wrangler Sahara on order and was dreading the wiring as I know what it took on my current 2001 Sahara.
Saw an ad in the December 2016 FMC magazine for a light bar that attaches to the rear of the toad by magnets, but when I called the company that had the ad he told me with the spare tire it didn't attach well to Wranglers. He then headed me to AW Direct that sells a mount for this light bar that inserts into a 2" receiver and the light bar sets on it with the magnets. A wireless remote attaches to the motor home 7 pin trailer light connector at the rear of the motor home, and activates the light bar on the rear of the Wrangler for tail, brake, and turn signals.
Light bar is about $325 and light mount sells for $50.95. I suppose freight charges will enter on both these but I'm still doing research on all this. Hopefully it will install and function as nice as all the ads suggest.

I'm at the age where I'm no longer flexible enough to be climbing around on/under the Wrangler to do the otherwise wiring and drilling for the rear lights.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Thanks everyone! Seems AF-1 is route to go. I know a master tech from a local dealer who does work for cash on side out at your house so I'll start ordering supplies to get him to install.

Appreciate it!
Hello Brian, here is one on ebay, seems like a really good price
*BRAND NEW* SMI AIr Force One Supplemental Braking System w Air Brakes SM99243 | eBay

Well over 1k else where.........
Old 03-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
AF
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing