Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We also went with a Rockhard bumper to use the tow bracket with blue ox bars (and added good looks) to our 2017 JKU. I installed a baseplate on the 2012 JK we had myself and it was a long days job by a 65 year old man. I installed the rock hard bumper myself this year and it was a 1/2 day job by a 70 year old man - much easier! I use a diode system run to the front within the frame for lights which use the JKU's tail lights and a RVibrake 2 that sits in the driver well when towing. I've done it enough times so that putting in there when hooking up isn't a big pain and I can move it when I change vehicles. jmo - mark PS-I thing you have the right toad for total utility and fun.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I have a 2017 Wrangler Sahara on order and was dreading the wiring as I know what it took on my current 2001 Sahara.
Saw an ad in the December 2016 FMC magazine for a light bar that attaches to the rear of the toad by magnets, but when I called the company that had the ad he told me with the spare tire it didn't attach well to Wranglers. He then headed me to AW Direct that sells a mount for this light bar that inserts into a 2" receiver and the light bar sets on it with the magnets. A wireless remote attaches to the motor home 7 pin trailer light connector at the rear of the motor home, and activates the light bar on the rear of the Wrangler for tail, brake, and turn signals.
Light bar is about $325 and light mount sells for $50.95. I suppose freight charges will enter on both these but I'm still doing research on all this. Hopefully it will install and function as nice as all the ads suggest.

I'm at the age where I'm no longer flexible enough to be climbing around on/under the Wrangler to do the otherwise wiring and drilling for the rear lights.

Interesting, you mind sharing the info so I can look it up?

Thanks!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hello Brian, here is one on ebay, seems like a really good price
*BRAND NEW* SMI AIr Force One Supplemental Braking System w Air Brakes SM99243 | eBay

Well over 1k else where.........

Nice, I'll look into that asap!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hello Brian, here is one on ebay, seems like a really good price
*BRAND NEW* SMI AIr Force One Supplemental Braking System w Air Brakes SM99243 | eBay

Well over 1k else where.........

Thanks for the heads up, was able to get it. Great deal! That just saved me $300!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #19
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
I'm in the RockHard Bumper/AirForce 1/Blue Ox camp. Love em all.
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Thanks for the heads up, was able to get it. Great deal! That just saved me $300!
Good deal Brian, glad you got it..........when the day comes, and we meet.........the afternoon's beverage's are on you
Safe travels to ya, and enjoy that new/great lookin Coach!!!!
Old 03-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Good deal Brian, glad you got it..........when the day comes, and we meet.........the afternoon's beverage's are on you
Safe travels to ya, and enjoy that new/great lookin Coach!!!!

Sounds like a plan! Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Interesting, you mind sharing the info so I can look it up?

Thanks!
The light bar is Towmate's RVHW32 Wireless Tow Light. Googling this will show up several companies that carry it plus different types of light bars also. My concern right now is that to power it a cord is run to the towed vehicle vehicles 12V receptacle, how to get a cord into the vehicle.

Since the spare tire is in the way to attach the light bar's magnets to the rear of the Jeep, and not enough metal to attach it to I'm told it's best to use a separate mount that attaches to the 2" receiver mount on the rear of the Jeep. AW Direct.com carries In The Ditch collaspable hitch tow light mount (mfg part no. ITD1095) for $50.95+frt. Zip's.com carries a mount with the same part no. for $44.64 free shipping but for some reason the measurements don't match what AW Direct has with their picture and states it comes in powder black color while the pictures show it in bright yellow. I'm still trying to figure out which one to go with. Wish I could examine one in person.

That's about all I have at this point. Please post or PM me if you find any different information.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I've had both the M&G and the Air Force One systems. To me, the Air Force One system is the best.

I also opted for a tow bar-to-bumper instead of tow bar-to-baseplate set up.

Here's my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JK Air Force One install.
I have the M&G and I can't imagine anything more simple. Can I ask why you think the AF1 is better?
Thanks
Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The light bar is Towmate's RVHW32 Wireless Tow Light. Googling this will show up several companies that carry it plus different types of light bars also. My concern right now is that to power it a cord is run to the towed vehicle vehicles 12V receptacle, how to get a cord into the vehicle.

Since the spare tire is in the way to attach the light bar's magnets to the rear of the Jeep, and not enough metal to attach it to I'm told it's best to use a separate mount that attaches to the 2" receiver mount on the rear of the Jeep. AW Direct.com carries In The Ditch collaspable hitch tow light mount (mfg part no. ITD1095) for $50.95+frt. Zip's.com carries a mount with the same part no. for $44.64 free shipping but for some reason the measurements don't match what AW Direct has with their picture and states it comes in powder black color while the pictures show it in bright yellow. I'm still trying to figure out which one to go with. Wish I could examine one in person.

That's about all I have at this point. Please post or PM me if you find any different information.

The more I thought about it I'm just going to get diode kit and tap into toad lights as we like to hook up our bike rack on Jeep to bring along all of our bikes. Thanks for the info, sounds really interesting!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #25

Quote:
The more I thought about it I'm just going to get diode kit and tap into toad lights as we like to hook up our bike rack on Jeep to bring along all of our bikes. Thanks for the info, sounds really interesting!
Good Luck. I was kind of hoping to have help in sorting out all this light bar questions. No one else seems to be interested in it, but I'm just too old and stiff to be crawling around hooking up to the Jeeps wire system. That's what I did on my current 2001 Sahara when it was new 16 years ago and just don't think I can handle it today.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #26

Quote:
If I can't obtain all the info I need for the tow light bar and chicken out on the light bar and mount, when you mentioned the diode kit is there a special kit for Jeep Wranglers or just any kit with diodes and wiring (and instructions of some sort)? If I remember right that's probably what I did 16 years ago but not sure, I've slept since then.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If I can't obtain all the info I need for the tow light bar and chicken out on the light bar and mount, when you mentioned the diode kit is there a special kit for Jeep Wranglers or just any kit with diodes and wiring (and instructions of some sort)? If I remember right that's probably what I did 16 years ago but not sure, I've slept since then.

I was told by a buddy that is a tech it's just the normal Blue Ox diode kit. I ordered that & the base plate off Amazon and plan on calling a few dealers from the Blue Ox website local in my area to do the install. My buddy normally would do it for us, but can't get by in time before our next trip out.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I was told by a buddy that is a tech it's just the normal Blue Ox diode kit. I ordered that & the base plate off Amazon and plan on calling a few dealers from the Blue Ox website local in my area to do the install. My buddy normally would do it for us, but can't get by in time before our next trip out.
Diodes work...but I figured why run wire all the way to the back...and cut and splice into the OEM wires...when the Mopar harness only has to run to the passenger side kick panel...connects to existing plugs...and all three of your brake lights work --- giving that tailgater a little more warning, esp if you have bikes on a rack that partially occlude the bottom two.

EDIT...

Actually...I might have to add a light bar to my bike rack. I just looked at a photograph of our bikes on the back of the Jeep. The top tubes block the third taillight...the gear set, hub, derailleur on one of the bikes blocks the left taillight...only the right taillight is easy to see thru spokes. Guess a couple of tail lights fixed to the back of the rack connected to my trailer wire connector ( Another Mopar harness that tee's into a factor connector in the left taillight)

Tags
tow, towing