Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Toy Hauler Motorhome?

From my searching, I see that Newmar made and is still making Motorhomes with a garage.

For any owners of the AllStar mid-engine Diesel toy hauler or the smaller Canyon Star gas toy hauler, could you share what works and what does not work for you?

And...were there any others?

Thanks in advance,
PathfinderVan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Wish i could find an allstar
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #3

And could afford to buy it.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look through the ATME 2008-09 and 2012 up Canyon Star Brochures for info this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

PPL in Houston has 2014 Canyon Star 40' for sale and they have a 2013 Canyon Star 40' available in New Braunfels.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding PPL in Houston. I looked at that toy hauler. If you are interested in it pm me and I will fill you in on what I saw.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #7

Many Thanks to all who replied.
Was hoping for some owner's individual insight.

So, how about this...
...Mid-engine RV's seem to have stories posted about heat problems (roasted turbos and interior heat).
And
...The Canyon Star toy hauler is riding on a top of the line 26,000lb GVWR chassis, but only has a 1,500lb max capacity in the garage

What gives? Are these Toy Haulers too much of a compromise?

Again, thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfindrVan View Post
What gives? Are these Toy Haulers too much of a compromise?
Sadly, that does seem to be the case as far as the research I've done has shown. Before I bought my Ventana, I looked high and low for a 5'er or Class A toy hauler that could safely carry my Jeep YJ inside. While I did eventually discover a 5'er with a >12' garage that was actually rated for 5000+ pounds (Forest River Work and Play toy hauler), I liked almost nothing else about them - and would've had to upgrade my tow vehicle just to hitch it up too. I know some people put Jeeps in some physically-larger 'mainstream' toy haulers, but they must be way over their rated GVW/CCC even dry. And I am simply not willing to assume that kind of liability in the event of a road incident.

And as far as I know, whereas those Forest Rivers are rare birds, a gas or mid-engine diesel Class A with a large, high-capacity garage simply does not exist among mass-produced brands. It would seem it's just too much of an edge case. Unless I just never looked hard enough; I'm curious to hear if anyone has actually ever found such a beast!

Now, what I have seen are custom MDT & HDT conversions with a garage or open platform for carrying a full-size dinghy aboard. There's certainly a lot more GVW to work with in Class 8 chassis territory, and perhaps folks in those forums can offer some suggestions...
PantherJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
The problem with the garage weight is it impacts the tongue weigh or Front axle
too much weight that far back makes for a squirrely ride.
NewmarCS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #10

Canyon star toyhauler

We have a 2014 3920 love it on the east coast mountains are no problem.
Have a rzr xp100 in the back and one we tow behind on a double axle trailer. no problems.
just went to Colorado with our truck and toyhauler mountains would really slow you down. East coast 6000 foot no problems west coast 10,000-12,000' would be tough
Jeff
wolfwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #11

I remember looking at a mid-engine travel supreme hauler out in Sturgis . I imagine engine maontenance would be a real pain.
Here's one for sale Used 2007 Travel Supreme Mid Engine 41' ME-DS02B Motor Home Class A - Diesel - Toy Hauler at General RV | Wayland, MI | #139238
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarCS1 View Post
The problem with the garage weight is it impacts the tongue weigh or Front axle
too much weight that far back makes for a squirrely ride.
We have a different experience...
Don't know about a Mid-Engine or Pusher with a rear toybox (i.e. AllStar and Travel Supreme-ME), but the garage in our Outlaw (Class A gas Toy Hauler) can and has carried up to the full 2,500lb capacity in the garage -AND- the 500 lb tongue weight...

...this caused no ill manners on the steering and was maybe the trip with the BEST ride we ever experienced...rear Leaf Spring suspension working hard, like it should.

The BigBlock engine and transmission directly above the front axle and generator just 1 bin to the rear of it, prevents any reduced steering control with the RV loaded within capacity.

After that trip, we seriously thought about adding "ballast" to the rear of the RV when not fully loaded to improve the ride on excessively poor roads (I-5 and I-10), but the probable MPG penalty made us decide no to that.

The Canyon Star 3920 and 3921 have a higher UVW than the Outlaw models due to construction methods (like lumber stringers in the floor vs. the bonded flooring system on 20' long custom-made ply panels) leading to the Newmar's lower garage weight rating. BUT, these Class A Toy Haulers are all beautiful RV's and have much more in common than most owners could describe. Either brand would provide many years of reliable service with simple, tried and true engineering with the front engine/rear drive ladder-frame chassis.

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfindrVan View Post
...The Canyon Star toy hauler is riding on a top of the line 26,000lb GVWR chassis, but only has a 1,500lb max capacity in the garage
I've been looking at the Outlaw 38RF but it looks like it might be discontinued so back to the 38RF. However now that we have three dogs I'm thinking the 37RB would be better so we'd have a garage we can leave the dogs in when we go out. However I'm don't really like the RB layout so I took a look at the 3921.

Although I'd like to have 2,500 lbs in the garage I really don't need it. What I do need is the party deck with the new MorRide deck railing so the dogs can lay out in the sun. I've only seen pictures so I can't tell if it's possible to add it.

It would also be nice if they add a second awning option, like the Outlaw 37BR has, to the rear side of the bedroom slide.

Tags
motorhome