Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

TPMS losing sensor signals

I have a new 2017 Dutch Star 4369. I am using a Pressure Pro TPMS to monitor tire pressures on the 8 coach tires and the 4 toad tires. I had Newmar wire a 12-volt outlet in the pegboard compartment for the signal repeater. I am losing signals on the toad and rear axle sensors. It appears that the metal in the Dutch Star body is blocking the sensor signals.

If you have experienced a similar issue, how did you resolve it? Did you find a better location for the repeater?

Thanks,

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

I put mine in the little cabinet in the small bathroom where the electric is. It was an easy place to hook up to the fuse box
Steve Mosher 2015 London Aire
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

I have the tst system monitoring 12 tires. Without the repeater, the system cannot monitor the tag tire sensors... probably because of interference.

I have my repeater mounted way back in a cabinet above the bed. I wired the repeater to a reading light circuit. The light is turned on before travel. And yes, DW has climb across the bed to turn on the switch if the slides are in.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Your two feet longer than I am, but I've been running a pressure pro for years and have no problems with sensor signal without using a repeater, that includes the sensors on my toad, which is a full size pickup, I'm 65 foot total length, including truck and towbar.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Don't know where the pegboard compartment is located.

I'm using the TireMinder A1A which comes with a ''signal booster'' -- TM told me it should be located outside and towards the rear. My Gen is located right behind my duallies so I tapped into it for power.

Assuming your front tire monitors are working OK. Try moving your repeater further back if you haven't already.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There were two sensors on the toad that would intermittently drop out so I had to get the PressurePro repeater for my 36 footer. . I mounted it above the shelf in the cabinet where the bed room TV goes - if you have one - we didn't. There was a small switch on the bottom of the cabinet that was used to turn power to the TV on and off so that was handy for when we were stopped and connected to shore power.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #7

I installed my booster where smosher installed his and have Tireminder A1A system. I sometimes lost one of rear signals on dinghy. Tireminder indicated that on some 43'-45' rigs an additional booster was needed and sent one at n/c. I installed it in the rear battery compartment. That took care of the problem
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

Have you tried it without the repeater, and if so, are you still missing the same sensors? It's possible you have some bad sensors, but not likely if it's more than one or two. You can also try swapping the "bad" ones for known good ones and see if the problem stays in the same location or moves around.

Perhaps try plugging your repeater into the toad's 12 volt outlet, assuming you have one that's hot when the toad is in flat-tow mode, and see what happens.

If Pressure Pro has an extended-range antenna that replaces the stubby antenna, this will also give quite a bit more range. It may be worth trying.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 43' coach I wired the TST repeater with alligator clips to the chassis batteries at the left rear of the coach - good coverage for coach and toad. Unless parked for over a week leave the system hooked up full-time ...
Old 10-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"LK23"......A lot of the time, a simple location change will solve the problem. I'm not talking about several feet away, but just to another position in the pegboard bay. You could simply be right in the middle of a piece of metal framing that is blocking the reception.

Move it to a couple of places and tape it on to see if it works. If it does, remount it.

I mounted mine on the wall between the Oasis unit and the power cord reel. I guess I got lucky as it works perfectly. I was originally told that the issue was being caused by remote temperature sensors (like wall thermometers), but mine just needed the repeater.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
May not have anything to do with your issue,.

I mounted TPMS sensors in my tow dolly wheels and the rear wheels of my toad. I could receive the dolly wheels, but not the rear toad wheels.

I had a wireless rear view camera. When I turned the camera off, I could receive the toad TPMS. My solution was to do away with the wireless camera and wire it directly.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

Update: I mounted the TPMS repeater in the half bath cabinet, just below the 110-volt breakers. It was easy to wire into the 12-volt fuse panel behind the other door of this cabinet. This location works great.

I was concerned about the large mirror on the adjacent wall of the kitchen but, apparently, that did not interfere with the signal transmission.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote