Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #1

TPMS Sensor Batteries

I have the EezTire TPMS with ten sensors on MH and toad. The system is about one year old. I use it fulltime on both the MH and CR-V. I even have a second monitor mounted permanently in the CR-V. I use the non-flow thru sensors. The system has worked without any problems since installation, and I highly recommend it.

This morning I drove the CR-V and the monitor display for the right front tire display never showed a reading. This could have been a bad monitor, bad sensor, or dead battery. The problem turned out to be a dead sensor battery. The battery is a CR1632 and wasn’t easy to find. Replacing the battery was very easy.

The EezTire system has a function to warn you if a sensor battery needs replacing, and which one it is. That didn’t happen in this case. That disturbed me, and I called EezRV to discuss the problem.

They said that the system will report the problem if the system in on when the low voltage condition occurs. The sensor must have enough voltage to report to the monitor. If the voltage in the sensor falls below the operating voltage while the system is off (overnight, storage, etc.) the sensor can’t report the problem or anything, and the monitor won’t display anything for that tire when the system is activated again. That answer satisfied me.

They also said that the batteries supplied in new units are whatever the overseas manufacturer decided to use and are seldom as good as replacement batteries we buy. By the way, they recommend Duracell or Energizer.

All of this leads me to believe that a full set of spare batteries should be kept on hand, and when one sensor battery needs replacing, they all should be replaced. Then get another replacement set.
wca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

I use the same batteries for my TPMS but I need 12 batteries (tag axle) If you go Ebay and search CR1632 You'll find numerous brands and prices.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Is lithium the standard for the CR1632? Are there any other longer-life options?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #4

1632 batteries are lithium. When a lithium battery is near the end of its life, it drops very quickly and, in this case, probably did not have enough voltage to transmit the low battery warning. Try buying from Amazon or E-Bay (or any other on-line battery seller). You can get multi-pack name brand batteries much cheaper than local retailers. As mentioned get Duracell or Everedy Energizer brand. Avoid all off label products for this application. Normally lithium batteries have a pretty long shelf life, so I buy a complete set and carry them in my rig for the TPMS transmitters.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I replace all sensor batteries in the spring good or bad. Easier to do it in my climate controlled clean garage than on in a parking lot
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
DGW

TPMS Sensor Batteries

Walmart carries the CR1632 batteries in their watch/jewelry section.
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I got mine from ‘Battery Junction” good price and quick service. I believe they are located in Conn. but obviously they ship anywhere.
When I ordered they had no concerns over small order
Old 05-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #8

Batteries and Bulbs out here carry them.......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #9

I don't have the same TPMS, I have TST. My initial set of sensor batteries lasted 2 years (full time) and one year (part time). Changed all them out at once.

If I recall correctly I got them at Walmart or Batteries Plus. With 12 sensors I'm planning on changing them out at the 2 year mark unless one defaults or they get slow.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:15 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TPMS Sensor Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wca01 View Post
.........the batteries supplied in new units are whatever the overseas manufacturer decided to use and are seldom as good as replacement batteries we buy.......

No need to beat around the bush, wca. You’re talking about equipment and batteries made in China. When closely monitored and in compliance with standards their products are often just fine, e.g. most name brand electronics, the iPhone, etc.. Internally managed and domestically produced product, otoh, are often the same cheap junk that bore the legend “Made in Japan” during the 50s.

I have had a TST system (10 sensors) for six years. The original batteries lasted about 1-1/2 to 2 years. At that point I experimented, buying a 10 pack of the 1632 batteries for about $10 online. When they arrived I could read the number 1632, but all other engraving was Chinese, not one word of English. I installed them all, and they started failing after only two months, and within 7 months they were all gone. Buy either the Duracell or Energizer.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #11

Have the TST system. Replaced batteries after 1.5 years.
Ordered Duracell thru Amazon
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
No need to beat around the bush, wca. You’re talking about equipment and batteries made in China. When closely monitored and in compliance with standards their products are often just fine, e.g. most name brand electronics, the iPhone, etc.. Internally managed and domestically produced product, otoh, are often the same cheap junk that bore the legend “Made in Japan” during the 50s.

I have had a TST system (10 sensors) for six years. The original batteries lasted about 1-1/2 to 2 years. At that point I experimented, buying a 10 pack of the 1632 batteries for about $10 online. When they arrived I could read the number 1632, but all other engraving was Chinese, not one word of English. I installed them all, and they started failing after only two months, and within 7 months they were all gone. Buy either the Duracell or Energizer.

Interesting. I’ve had my 10 TST cap sensors for at least 5 years and just now had to replace 2 batteries. The others are probably due. I ordered Sony Lithium from Amazon and they have worked just fine.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My TST is 8 years old and I've been buying my batteries at Batteries & Bulbs.

I change them out every year.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My eeZ system is three years old and I've never had any issues! Going to replace just on the age!

Tags
batteries, tpms