Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Trading in a Newmar

I have been thinking of upgrading my current Newmar with a new model (mine is 2017) so went to the NIRVC location in Vegas. Place is great the people are nice. Price on the new rig was reasonable. The issue can with my trade. The sales manager told me that when they figure the price they DO NOT take into account any options on the coach. They only use the base price. With how much Newmar’s are configurable this seems very strange. He went on to tell me that an Entegra coach would be worth more, percentage wise, than a Newmar as most things are standard and not options. So what they offered my was $30 - $40k less than NADA low blue book. I know that if I go to trade in a car with leather interior and heated seats it is worth more than a base model. Is this typically of RV dealers?
Daddobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #2

You can bet that they take it into account when it goes back on the lot for sale. Selling privately will get you more money. I believe the market for current used high quality rvs is good. .[Mod Edit] Cheers.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your better off reporting a post like this than posting a suggestion in the thread and hoping it’s seen by someone who can do something about it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Daddobbs".....this is very typical of most dealerships both cars and RV's. They gave a great price on their coach and a low ball on yours.

If you're willing to drive a little farther, call Tom Lindstrom in Moorpark, California. He'll give you a straight deal on a trade and new coach. If you can make the deal, take the drive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
"Blue Book" values are just estimates; dealers are not obligated to follow any arbitrary guide. And, all dealers are not the same; some are more willing to deal than others. Further, all deals are not the same. If you are working up a deal on a coach that is in high demand, the dealer won't be as flexible as when you are dealing on a coach they would like to move off the lot.

The bottom line with a trade-in is the difference you will have to pay for the new coach. That's why it is important to shop around; and, to be willing to travel some distance to a dealer that will give you a better price.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
"Blue Book" values are just estimates;
^ This ^

And they are very inaccurate estimates. Unlike cars where there are many thousands of deals contributing to the valuations on places like KBB, NADAGuides, etc., there are far fewer MH deals reported and the resulting values are typically quite out of whack.

At best, one can look to see what dealers (not private parties) are listing used coaches for and work from there to get a feel for the profit a dealer is building into a trade price.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #7

Unfortunately this is very common. Agree with the above that you will get more on the retail market, although there are some limitations with doing that too (like buyer financing, etc).
As far as options are concerned, you’ll be hard pressed to get your money back on those. I purchased my ‘18 KA at a massive discount, despite it being heavily optioned (even for a KA), and only driven 7k miles. The dealerships know this and want to make sure they get their margin.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Give Midway RV in Grand Rapids a call and ask for Chad. He is a straight shooter. They are a “top ten” dealer. We got a good deal with them
Old 02-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddobbs View Post
I have been thinking of upgrading my current Newmar with a new model (mine is 2017) so went to the NIRVC location in Vegas. Place is great the people are nice. Price on the new rig was reasonable. The issue can with my trade. The sales manager told me that when they figure the price they DO NOT take into account any options on the coach. They only use the base price. With how much Newmar’s are configurable this seems very strange. He went on to tell me that an Entegra coach would be worth more, percentage wise, than a Newmar as most things are standard and not options. So what they offered my was $30 - $40k less than NADA low blue book. I know that if I go to trade in a car with leather interior and heated seats it is worth more than a base model. Is this typically of RV dealers?

Run!
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Daddobbs:
I was talking with NIRV. Very nice and professional people for sure.
We found Tom Lindstrom RV and not only did he give us a great price on our new Dutch Star, he allowed us to hold off picking up the new coach so we could try to sell our 2008 Monaco Camelot. It did not sell, so Tom gave us a very fair price on the trade-in. He had it sold in a week.
Highly recommend Tom and his team.
Best of luck,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #11

We took ours to PPL Consignment in Texas. We named the price and it sold for that price within a month. It was a very good experience.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I highly recommend selling it yourself. It will not take long on rvtrader or even using the classified ads here. Those are the places I looked and many I called on were sold before I could have the opportunity to look at it.
RoamerDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:16 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you are willing to put up with the hassle of selling it, you'll get way more for it. If you want to just trade it in on a new coach, go to Tom Lindstrom RV, he'll give you a more agreeable deal. He does not lowball your trade. His way is all around a more honest approach.

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:28 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddobbs View Post
The sales manager told me that when they figure the price they DO NOT take into account any options on the coach. They only use the base price. With how much Newmar’s are configurable this seems very strange. He went on to tell me that an Entegra coach would be worth more, percentage wise, than a Newmar as most things are standard and not options.
I’ve heard the exact same thing from two other dealers that sell Entegras. It’s purely a sales tactic designed to steer you toward a particular brand. The deal doesn’t have to be one sided. Plenty of ways to get a fair price for your current coach.

It’s such a disengenuous statement that they only pay the base and ignore options. It isn’t rocket surgery to think they will price heavily optioned used coaches higher on their sales floor.
Alex00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar