Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #1

Trading our Entegra for Newmar

Hello everyone
Looking for a few open opinions.
We currently have a entegra aspire 2014 and looking to trade for a newmar and can’t make up our minds between Dutch star & ventana
Would love to hear from some owners.
Thx
shawn08RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Where we are staying there was a Newmar rally and they brought some display coaches. I will stay that the new Ventana has been upgraded nicely with roof mounted awnings.
The Dutchstar with the full flat floor with no carpet is a really nice feature in my opinion. Your used to side radiator so that means Dutchstar also.
Not an owner but have been through both factories and the construction process of both coaches is pretty similar.
I’m not sure what the difference is MSRP is or your budget is but there are some big pluses to the Dutchstar even though the Ventana is pretty dog gone nice.
Best of luck on the search.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We drove Entegra and shopped before deciding to go with the Ventana 4369. One big game changer was Comfort Drive. I went with what worked best for us then. After 5 years we still love our Ventana and they have added a lot more to the newer coaches of our same model.

Best of luck with your decision. Ventana or Dutch Star are both excellent coaches.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:35 AM   #4

We drove a 40' Ventana tag for 18000 miles and decided to trade up to a 43' DS. The Ventana was a nice MH and will make you very happy. For the 12 years that I drove Tiffin's I always wanted a Bus and told my wife that it was a dumb move but let's do it. I bought a new DS as my bus. The money difference is a big factor but you can tell a difference in the 2. The DS feels like a heavier MH than the Ventana and the IFS makes a difference in the ride and drive. Since this is going to be my last MH I decided what the H---. DW and I are happy with the decision to move up but if the money is a big factor the Ventana is a nice choice.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn08RV View Post
Hello everyone
We currently have a entegra aspire 2014 and looking to trade for a newmar and can’t make up our minds between Dutch star & ventana
Thx

You would benefit from studying the differences between the Ventana and the DS. A few come to mind include no carpet, side radiator, heated floors, ends of slides painted, 450 vs 400 HP, some options available on the DS are not on the Ventana. If possible, a visit to Newmar to take their tours would be beneficial, but is not currently available until 04/01 or so.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Trading our Entegra for Newmar

Congratulations on your decision to go with Newmar. Both of the coaches you are considering are great options.

To some extent, it might come down to floor plan. With your Entegra, you have had a coach about 44 feet with a side radiator and a tag. On the Dutch Star, the tag is standard on 40 and 43 foot chassis, but not on 34 or 37 foot units. So you need to decide what length you are going for.

You also are used to a Spartan chassis. This is available on the DS, but there is a small up-charge. You are also used to a side radiator and that’s standard on DS but not on Ventana.

Fortunately, the Newmar’s riding on Spartan chassis do not seem to have the radiator leak problems that have plagued a lot of the Entegra coaches. Not sure why that is, but guessing that Newmar specs a different radiator.

As others have pointed out, the DS has the full tile floors. Both coaches have Newmar’s handy escape door. Heated floors are only available on DS. It’s an option, but not offered on Ventana.

You have a lot of choices to consider when you go for any Newmar. Entegra makes it simple. You pick the model and the floor plan and then it’s pretty much a question of what paint color you want.

With Newmar, you need to wade through a large list of options (example attached), and then there is the whole issue of Specials.

Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_12_22_20_35_05.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	273178
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ken C had a great summary of the Ventana to DS differences. We just went through this decision. With the 2020 models a numbers of the nice options moved to the Ventana we decided that IFS, heated floors, full tile, side radiator were not worth the price differential. Interesting to note that wile the DS has 50 more horsepower, the torque rating is the same.

Some things new to the Ventana this year include Girard awnings, upgraded furniture and self closing drawers.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn08RV View Post
Hello everyone
Thx
You ask for opinions. Mine is you should stay with Entegra. Maybe move up to the Anthem, 20,000 lb front axle with 365 tires, easy steer same as comfort drive, 2 year warranty with Joyce Skinner head of service, more bang for your buck.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #9

I agree, if you are going to be above 40 ft the Entegra Anthem or Cornerstone are definitely more bang for the buck but it is much closer than it used to be as Entegra Keeps raising MSRP in big chunks each year while Newmar increases are much less. When you add the penalty of faster depreciation on the Entegra the difference disappears and the advantage may actually swing to Newmar. So get what you want,especially in floorplan as I have owned multiple units from both and they are both great coaches. Joyce is outstanding and can not be topped but Newmar has an outstanding customer service team and company wide policy so the main Entegra advantage to me boils down to the two year warranty, definitely a significant factor to consider. These two manufacturers make it a difficult decision with no wrong answer. Good luck with your decision. All JMHO
Old 01-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #10
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
You ask for opinions. Mine is you should stay with Entegra. Maybe move up to the Anthem, 20,000 lb front axle with 365 tires, easy steer same as comfort drive, 2 year warranty with Joyce Skinner head of service, more bang for your buck.
Except for Joyce, could not disagree more. Had two Entegra's-Anthem and Cornerstone. Both coaches from hell. Much more happy with our current Dutch Star.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star David View Post
Except for Joyce, could not disagree more. Had two Entegra's-Anthem and Cornerstone. Both coaches from hell. Much more happy with our current Dutch Star.
Sorry you got the bad ones. My 2017 and now 2020 have been really great.
I won’t say who but a dealer who sells both said Entegras quality is much improved and now better than Newmar. Just saying
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
I won’t say who but a dealer who sells both said Entegras quality is much improved and now better than Newmar. Just saying
Anytime I see a statement worded like this, it is a giant red flag.

It is anonynous 3rd party rhetoric.

No facts.

No one with the guts to identify the source of the said statement...just a total waste of time.

.....Just Saying
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Anytime I see a statement worded like this, it is a giant red flag.

It is anonynous 3rd party rhetoric.

No facts.

No one with the guts to identify the source of the said statement...just a total waste of time.

.....Just Saying

X-2

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Sold the 2018 Berkshire XL. We too were buying the Ventanna, done deal, 2019, let's go!!

But wait, you mean I have to crawl on my hands and knees for 10 minutes to strategically place these 15 or 20 plastic trays on the floor when I close the slides? Well only if you don't care if you scratch your floor with the rollers, I was told by the sales lady. I said I am an engineer and that sounds like an engineering mistake to me. She said, Oh no that is not a mistake. Well then does this model come with knee pads?

Let's look at the coach next to the Ventanna. It is a Dutch Star. This is nice too. Let me go to the bedroom and get the 20 plastic floor trays from under the bed. Oh, that won't be necessary, she said, the Dutch Star rollers don't touch the floor.

Bought the Dutch Star!

Good luck with your decision,

BobbyJ
State College, PA
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra, newmar