RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Transfer Switch

I have a bad power switch Todd Engineering Sales Model PS250 50amp in my 99 dutch star 38ft 315 HP Cummins with Spartan Chassis.
The left breaker is cooked. Does anyone have an idea which transfer switch would make a good replacement for my fryed switch. I am considering an IOTA Engineering Model ITS-50R. I hope I have not damaged my Inverter. My next question is should I keep my inverter turned on or off when the power cord is plugged in or my generator is running. Have done lots of reading from smart people on this blog over the last couple of years but I am new at requesting info. Hope this reaches someone smarter than me. Thanks for your help. Don

smoothrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrider View Post
I have a bad power switch Todd Engineering Sales Model PS250 50amp in my 99 dutch star 38ft 315 HP Cummins with Spartan Chassis.
The left breaker is cooked. Does anyone have an idea which transfer switch would make a good replacement for my fryed switch. I am considering an IOTA Engineering Model ITS-50R. I hope I have not damaged my Inverter. My next question is should I keep my inverter turned on or off when the power cord is plugged in or my generator is running. Have done lots of reading from smart people on this blog over the last couple of years but I am new at requesting info. Hope this reaches someone smarter than me. Thanks for your help. Don
I believe your choice is a good one. There are several, as you've discovered. If your transfer switch is working properly you can leave the inverter running when connected to shore power; in my coach at least (Heart Interface inverter/converter) there is a second transfer switch in the converter box just for the inverter.

F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I rarely turned my inverter off. No problems.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You selected a good replacement.
Welcome to the Newmar forum & irv2, Don.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replys. I have a Heart Interface Freedom Model 20 Inverter with an on & off switch on front of the box. Should there be a separate box for the converter or would it be part of the inverter? Only had the dpds for couple of months and still learning. Must have been a power surge that damaged the transfer switch. We had been on the gulf coast for two weeks and stopped at a state park in Miss on the way home and the second I plugged into their elect I heard a couple of clicks and no more power. Would a surge protector have helped and what size and brand would I need to purchase. Any info would be a big help. Thanks Don
Old 04-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #6

Since you have the Heart Inverter/Charger that was an option in the 1999 Dutch Star, you do not have a converter. Some people turn off the inverter when connected to shore power or running the generator and some people leave it on. Doesn't matter. When on shore power the inverter goes to standby mode.

Did you turn the campground circuit breaker off before connecting the Dutch Star? If the circuit breaker was on some of the connections in the power cord may not have made a connection and 240 volts was sent to the Dutch Star. Alway turn the breaker off before connecting.

A surge protector will prevent most problems with campground electric, but not all problems. I have always had surge protectors and they have saved me a few times.

Or it could be it was time for your automatic transfer switch to give up the ghost and it just failed.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Pretty sure the park breaker was off. I try to remember to make sure of that, but I may not always remember like when I was twenty. Your comment about the 240 volts. If I plug into 240 does the coach breaker not accept the full 240 or only 120 unless you turn on a 240 volt item. I assumed the full 240 went into the transfer switch. Never dawned on me that it could be only 120 until the switch called for 240.
Thnks a lot for your info.
Don
Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
With 50amp service, 240v is always present at the transfer switch and the breaker panel when on shore power. The generator only provides 120v power.

Since your (and most) rig(s) have no 240v appliances, only 120V circuits are fed from the breaker panel.

For our purposes the 50amp 240v service is used as two 120v circuits with 50amps each for a total of 100amps at 120v.

The term surge protector has become common, but a surge protector only protects against surges, which are rare.

An EMS system protects against voltage and surge problems. Low voltage and open neutrals are much more common than surges.

Many of us have this system.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Yes the progressive industries is one of the best EMS available. Would not hook up to power without it.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote