Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
Had the same problem when we lost the Neutral at the transformer in the RV Park , L1 went high and L2 went low. Shut down at 132 volt or 108 volt AC. then it re-connects after a minute or so.
Siggy
Symptoms sound the same. I'll check voltages all around.
The Brews Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Are there any LEDs on the front cover of the Transfer Switch?

Do you have any error codes on the EMS-HW50C?

The genset issue and the shore power issue may not be directly related. Check the genset breaker (next to power switch on the genset upper panel), Turn it fully off then back on. Remove the cover from the Transfer Switch ... green LED on board is on if gen power is reaching Transfer Switch.

As for shore power, if you have an error code on the HW50C, the HW50C may be dropping the power which causes the Transfer Switch to also drop out. My first thought on 120VAC shore power is that you have an undervoltage ... maybe an undersized extension cord ????
No LEDS on the transfer switch cover. I will check to see if the green light is on on the board, and looKevin for error codes on the EMS-HW50C. No extension cord being used. The coach 50 Amp 240 volt cord is plugg3d directly into a 50 to 20 amp adapter, plugged into a standard 120 volt receptacle in the garage. This presented no problems for the first few weeks, and the connection never got hot, but I will check the house wiring to the receptacle.
The Brews Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Transfer Switch dropping out on 2016 Canyon Star

Ok have some time now to think, your configuration is the shore power cord goes in to one end of the EMS-HW50C the other end
of your EMS goes into the transfer switch were my picture shows the shore power cord going in? If this is the case the EMS is only monitoring only input from the shore power connection. Where I have mine monitors both shore and generator power as it is installed past the switch.
To start I would make sure your 110 outlet has a good ground, neutral and hot. Then plug the Adapter into the outlet and make sure you still have all 3.
If good next is to look for codes on the EMS-HW50c, if it does not have a display then there may be a remote display connected by what looks like a phone cord. See my picture[ATTACH] follow the cord
Next like said I have read that people have found loose lugs that have caused the switches to burn. Be carful that your inverter is off, shore unplugged and no auto generator start or solar connected, when checking the switch,
Let us know if your stuck....Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2484.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	177395  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
Transfer switch problem on my 2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3710. When I am connected to 120 volt shore power, running minimal load, my Canyon Star recently started experiencing transfer switch drop outs, shutting shore power off, only to kick back in a few minutes later. This repeats at intermittent time intervals. So far no problem when connected to 50 Amp 240 volt shore power, but last week the transfer switch dropped out when we were on our 7000 watt generator power. Generator starts and runs normally, but the transfer switch doesn'the kick in to connect the coach to generator power. Has anyone experienced this? I will be troubleshooting the problem. We have only had this coach a few weeks, and I am assuminging the transfer switch is the box where my shore power cord connects. I have not connected to 50 amp service since the generator problem began, so I don't know if that will be a problem too. Maybe another thread on this, but I haven't found it yet.

Just to clarify, the symptoms are different, correct?

1) on shore (120vac) you experience dropouts with a return to power after 2 minutes;

2) on gen, the transfer switch does not transfer (no power at all)?

Correct ??

If the above is true, you likely have 2 different issues.

Genset breaker has tripped and 120vac power from house is faulty.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:52 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Just to clarify, the symptoms are different, correct?

1) on shore (120vac) you experience dropouts with a return to power after 2 minutes;

2) on gen, the transfer switch does not transfer (no power at all)?

Correct ??

If the above is true, you likely have 2 different issues.

Genset breaker has tripped and 120vac power from house is faulty.

Agreed these are the first steps to verify, next look at EMS for codes, remove cover on EMS check connections for shore line issue and remove cover on transfer switch and look at connections for generator and shore line switches.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My transfer switch burned up last week. There were loose connections. By passed by generator so I can use only shore power. Just got a new switch . My issue not exactly like yours but problem caused by loose connection
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo7 View Post
My transfer switch burned up last week. There were loose connections. By passed by generator so I can use only shore power. Just got a new switch . My issue not exactly like yours but problem caused by loose connection

I have been hearing about this happening more lately, some professional electricians on this forum have suggested that the loads are causing expansion and contraction of the wires causing this condition. They suggest as annual maintenance the Torque on the lugs of the transfer switch be checked. Bevo7 also to recheck after installing new in a few weeks of operation.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo7 View Post
No question that Transfer Switches can fail. Replaced mine 2 months ago due to a burned contactor on the Gen side. No loose connections but 10 years of service can take it's toll.

However, troubleshooting as Stuart suggested should narrow it down pretty quickly. The easiest one should be the "no gen power" issue. That's a straight path: Gen , Gen Circuit Breaker, Transfer Switch, Main Distribution. The Transfer Switch needs to detect "Gen-Power Good" before transfer.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
.... In this picture you can see that I installed mine to protect both gen and shore power
Stuart,

I've never seen the EMS installed after the transfer switch. Are there any downsides to this?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Not that I know of, Progressive provides instructions both ways. I felt why not protect both, and in doing so It let the shore power cord to the transfer switch as it was from OEM. I went to Home Depot and purchased another piece of shore power cord.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
Stuart,

I've never seen the EMS installed after the transfer switch. Are there any downsides to this?

Thanks,
Dan

Not Stuart, but has an upside and a downside.

Upside is Main Distribution is protected from a Gen fault.
Downside is Transfer Switch is unprotected (primarily from a Shore Power fault).

Both installations are acceptable practice.

In my case, I use a portable and am primarily on Shore Power. Therefore, my interest is protecting from the pedestal outward.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a routine maintenance your wire leads in transfer switch, load center, Gen feeds to TS, to load center and all power leads to fuse panels need to be checked.
Loose leads in TS can cause fires this link below will explain all that.
The leads from GEN will activate the TS so you need to check the power terminal box back at the Gen for loose wire nuts also.
Make a check list as you go through you inspection of leads and remember to control board can store voltage, , when disconnected from power supply, in its capacitors so do not cross connections with screwdriver as your working in TS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
[attach][attach]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2486.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.89 MB