RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGus View Post
At $192.65 for fluid and filter with tax, you must be talking about conventional ATF. The OP has a newer trans that calls for Transynd and for $193 you can't even get the fluid that is needed.
Also, where do you find a truck or RV shop that only charges $100 for 1.5 hours of shop time?
I'm afraid you're comparing apples to footballs here and a little out of date on shop rates.
My Transynd( Not conventional ATF)& Filter kit(2") was bought at a Allison shop right across the street from the Cummins Coach Care in Ocala, Florida.
All bought included a 6-7% sales tax.

On a change my 3060MH transmission only takes 16 qt(4 Gal.) every time on the many times.
I have done it in the last 13 years(Transynd the last 3).
Some shops may charge for a lot more fluid then they actually use.
Also some 3060's have a 4" pan that will take more then mine at a change.

I'm afraid you're apples to footballs is not in the trees/ballpark/stadium.

OH!!! For a shop that charges those rates.
You might check with Freightliner factory shop in Gaffney, SC. for one. 1.5 hour there would be $135($90 hour). And they are plenty of other shops around that are even less then that if you look around.

Look for privet run shops. I have used one for changing a air bag and another time a starter solenoid and they charges $45 a hour labor.
So they are some out there that don't try to rip off MH owners.

Maybe you are the one out of date or don't know how to find good deals.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 06:13 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
As long as it is TES 295 approved see: On-Highway Fluids

the transmission fluid can be interchanged without worry or warranty issues.

Mike
Mike & Algoma, Thanks for the information on TES 295 fluids. I spent $226.55 on 26-29 quarts of Fluid, $79.00 on Transmission kit and labor around $100.00. Altogether with TAX $432.55. I offer this information again as a baseline. If you can beat the price I paid, then you are doing well. Also depending on what brand of fluid you buy, again it must be TES 295 approved, then cost can go a lot higher or as one poster stated lower. I will also offer in Columbus Georgia and East Alabama, Shop labor starts at $85.00 per hour, I have found no one besides myself for under that amount, in fact Freightliner, Cummins, International all charge more per hour.

Good luck and shop around! Have no regrets.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 AM   #17

Terry, sounds like you got a good deal. Labor rates around here are $120 per hour. Although I do my own oil changes you benefited by the shop buying oil in bulk, I buy it by the gallon and it costs quite a bit more. I can get the filter kit a little cheaper but it pretty much balances out. $400 every 4 years is cheap compared to all the other costs of owning a motorhome!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder4 View Post
I only posted this OP for future RV'ers to have an expectation on cost with a service for planning.
Thanks for the post. Since I'm new to the DP world, this is good information.

Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, transmission