RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Traveler Antenna install on Ventana 3407 - Installation Progress

I will post progress updates on the installation:
I have the Dish Traveler Antenna and the Wally receiver and I should receive the Traveler base plate tomorrow.
1. First job was to remove the caulk with the plate marked antenna. I removed the caulk and screws and then pulled the metal plate up. To my surprise there was no access hole. So I cut a hole in the fiberglass with my rotozip tool in the center of the location of the plate which is in the center of the 4 screw holes. Well the plate was not directly centered over the conduit. It was off by a couple of inches, but I think I can work with that. I have a white wire coming from the conduit which I believe is a pull wire. When I look in the cabinet above the drive where the is a blank electric plate marked Sat/Prep with 12v 7.5 amp marked on it I find a conduit with a white wire - good. There are also red and white wires so that mush be the 12v. Next I will meter the red/white to confirm. More later.....

bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #2

Step 2: I do have 12v on the red/white, but looks like i do not need that as the traveler antenna has its own power cable. I will be able to run the power cable to the roof in the conduit that goes to the cabinet over the drivers seat. There is 115v power so that works out fine.
Step 3: Confused??? How do I get the coax cables from the traveler antenna to the cabinet over the TV in the living room where the HDMI cables are located? I would have thought there was a pull wire or string to that location. Guess I will call Newmar in the morning....

Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
When I installed mine. On my 16 CS, I called Newmar and talked with an install tech,he said that they try and hit 4 of the holes into studs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	248530  

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #4

Step 3: Called Newmar Support this morning to find out what is supposed to be located at the satellite prep location on the roof. That didn't go well as we were not on the same page with what TV systems we had in our Ventana. I finally got him to send me the schematic. That explained the communication problem with them, as the schematic was not what I had in our unit. The schematic indicated a splitter in the overhead cabinet which my unit does not have. I have a direct feed to the living room cabinet. The schematic did show two coax cables in the satellite prep area so assumed that is probably what I had so I went back and dug around and found the two coax cables. Getting them out of the access hole was difficult as the two cables were looped around in a knot so I had to open the access hole a little more to be able to untangle the knot while trying to work around the conduit that was in the way of the opening. That was a lot of fun. I now have the two coax cables ready and a conduit so next will be to mount the baseplate and antenna......
Old 06-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"bluefin".....I'm sure you figured it out, one coax goes to the bedroom and one goes to the main cabin. When yo install the Travler, connect both to the base.

Since you have unused wiring in the roof, you have an opportunity, if you're interested, to add an indicator light to tell you that the antenna is up. On a previous coach, I added magnetic read switches to the antenna. That's the small rectangular blocks you see at windows or the top of a door frame for alarms. I attached one to the roof and the other to the edge of the sat dish. Once it was stowed, the light would go out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
........Since you have unused wiring in the roof, you have an opportunity, if you're interested, to add an indicator light to tell you that the antenna is up. On a previous coach, I added magnetic read switches to the antenna. That's the small rectangular blocks you see at windows or the top of a door frame for alarms. I attached one to the roof and the other to the edge of the sat dish. Once it was stowed, the light would go out.

Not to change the subject but that is a great idea. I know Wingard use to make a kit for that but no longer. I have the Garmin with the wireless camera I installed on the roof to see if the antenna is up or down.
Works good so far, we'll see how long that camera lasts
Old 06-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

Step 4: Located the studs, outlined the Traveler baseplate, predrilled the holes and put a dab of caulk on the holes and set the baseplate in position. Screwed the baseplate down and the instructions say to let it cure before mounting the antenna so that is what I am doing. I did not caulk the screw heads yet as I will do that the same time I caulk the rest of the antenna and plate that covers the hole for the cables. I would post some pictures if I knew how. More later......
Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #8

Step 5: Caulked and mounted the Traveler Dish to the baseplate. Going to wait a day for the caulk to set up and them I will power up the antenna and mount the dish. More later.....
Old 06-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here are bluefin's photos, he can describe them.....

Name:	xuMab+xbTymZLkZIkuwpsA.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	248989

Name:	UplcysqZR0e5Ak%qegQIiw.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	248990

Name:	IUEUZ2BcT2OeLV3kVc8nWw.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	248991

Name:	hipUv2VVQd+3KAxvEdteKw.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	248992
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Many are more adventurous than I, factory is installing my traveler for DTV. It would be almost more than I could do having to drill that hole in the roof, that would just about kill me, that roof is so nice, I would not be able to do it. Having the factory do it, just saved me all that angst about the hole.

Does anyone know if factory puts the plate down as recommended by WG? Just curious, our MH is in route to dealer now, and we might get it in little more than week.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Plate is really intended for rubber roofs, Newmar does not install them on fiberglass

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here are bluefin's photos, he can describe them.....

Attachment 248989

Attachment 248990

Attachment 248991

Attachment 248992
The photos show the size of the opening I made to get the wires out of the opening and expose the conduit. Also note the cracks around the opening. Apparently Newmar did not pre drill the holes before putting the screws in. That is a big no-no when dealing with fiberglass. The baseplate is not necessary and probably overkill, but for an extra $100 bucks I liked the idea of a little extra holding power and protection of the roof. I will take more photos and see if we can get them posted again.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #13

Last step: I took the controller up on the roof and plugged it in to an extension cord. I powered up the antenna and turned it off when upright and installed the dish on the antenna. My wife then helped my pull the control cable through the conduit to the cabinet over the drivers seat. We then plugged one of the coax cables to the Wally receiver in the living room cabinet, plugged the control cable from the antenna to the antenna control box over the passenger seat and then plugged the two coax cables coming out of the access opening on the roof to the traveler antenna. We turned everything on and as soon as we had a signal on the TV my wife called Dish to activate the Wally. While she worked with Dish I mounted the cover over the access hole in the roof, secured the loose cable to the roof and finished all of the caulking. (Hopefully Dutch Star Don will post the pictures for me).
Some comments from the install:
1. Glad Newmar uses a very sturdy ladder to the roof as I was up and down that many, many times during the install - thank you Newmar!
2. The hardest part of the install was opening the access hole and finding the two coax cable and getting them out of the access hole.
3. I am glad I used the Traveler Baseplate as I believe it makes a much more sturdy mounting system and as you can see by the pictures the roller rides on the baseplate instead of the roof.
4. I had some leftover spiral wrap for a project on my boat so I went ahead and covered some of the exposed cables on the Traveler Antenna to help protect them.
5. The Traveler Dish Antenna with the Wally was on sale at Camping World for $1350. So with the baseplate and a couple of tubes of caulk I probably have about $1600 in the project.
6. It was a fairly easy install (other that the access hole issue) and was not to time consuming. I waited 24 hours after caulking the baseplate and 24 hours after caulking the antenna to the baseplate. Probably didn't have to do that, but it was recommended and so I did which added time to the total install.
7. Would I do this again - yes.
I hope this helps some DIYer's in the future - Good Luck.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a great experience and excellent documentation.

I once had to change the alternator on my alpine. I made sure I made notes along the way, with plenty of pictures, and created a word document with all the pictures and description. I still have it, as the wiring on the old alternator and the new one had some differences (alpines are weird-trust me), and if I ever have to do that job again, I at least have a something to assist me along the way, although the engines are different. So my suggestion is to write this up in a format easily disminated, with any pictures you took, and send it along to 007, he can add it to any technical library he has started or put it into the stickies at the top of this forum. I am sure all of us would appreciate having copies, if only from the reference point of all the wires and connections you did, inside pictures also would be nice if you have them. We are in this weird RV world together.

Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, install, travel, vent, ventana