Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Traveling cross country

Hi all. So this isn't a coach problem. We are starting a cross county trip from California to Fayetteville, North Carolina. Our nephew is graduating from Special Forces training (so proud). Anyway, looking at the map I'm thinking US Hwy 40 is a good bet, however, someone said Hwy 70 is a good one too.
Any thoughts? Thank you all ahead of time.
Mike S
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msobie236 View Post
Hi all. So this isn't a coach problem. We are starting a cross county trip from California to Fayetteville, North Carolina. Our nephew is graduating from Special Forces training (so proud). Anyway, looking at the map I'm thinking US Hwy 40 is a good bet, however, someone said Hwy 70 is a good one too.
Any thoughts? Thank you all ahead of time.
Mike S
Personally as this is a trip with a finite destination and time constraints,as opposed to sight seeing..
I would run I-40, it's a lot flatter terrain.
I-70 in western Colorado is very mountainous..(Long & steep grades)And it's nearing time when the snow fly's..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #3

Why not take I-40 back east and return I-70. When we are traveling we try not to travel on any more of the same roads as we have already traveled.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Why not take I-40 back east and return I-70. When we are traveling we try not to travel on any more of the same roads as we have already traveled.
Newmar Man
i'd do it the opposite way, but check the weather first....

but totally agree on going a different route each way.....always more fun, IMHO
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Perfect answers. We will take 70 east then when its colder we will do 40 west. And yes all depends on weather.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When we travel east and west on the Interstates, we stay as far south as possible, the later you get in the year. As an example, I-70 until about October, I-40 until about January and I-10 after that. Just something to consider.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I-70 has had snow in Colorado already. You better be really sure of the weather forecast before you try to go up from Greenwood Springs to Loveland Pass. If there is snow, you will be required to stop and put on chains. No chains, you can sit on the side of the road until you get them.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #8
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Too late in the year for the I-70. As we folks say, you must not be from around here.

This time of year winter storms can come up in the mountains and the only news coverage is about how many out of staters died in the sudden storms. For those Californians (we were one once) think Donner party.

We here in fly-over country know that when the forecast is for clear to partly cloudy they mean marginal with periods of apocalyptic weather. See some of the posts on this forum about softball sized hail recently in Colorado. It gets real ugly when it gets to basketball sized. Think I am exaggerating, google it.

So, if you are inexperienced with the weather here, do the I-40 route. But, watch the weather in flagstaff. If it is iffy at all, take the I-10 route.

Oh yes, we have winds here. Comfort drive is a blessing, but if you have the dial on 6 and are still moving too much, pull over for a few minutes. The I-25 south of Cheyenne in notorious for flipping semis.

If you have traveled here and can read weather maps properly then you might navigate between storms ok. Just understand your limitations. We are having some stronger than normal storms this year so use caution. South Dakota now has its wettest year on record (read lots of big hail storms and flooding on east river side.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Congrats to your nephew. Give him my best. I graduated from the Special Warfare Center in 1963. Top notch people there.

This late in the year, I'd definitely stay away from I-70. In fact, I'd be inclined to fly out to North Carolina rather than take the coach. If you do drive, allow yourself some extra time just in case the weather is an issue.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #10

Thanks I will tell him. Geez I hope we make it
Old 10-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msobie236 View Post
Thanks I will tell him. Geez I hope we make it
You'll make it; just be smart and watch the weather. Like I said earlier, give yourself some extra time in case the weather slows you down. Coming back, you might consider the southern route; I-10.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Ok no more scary stuff [emoji83].

Here is a website I use when traveling to check road conditions and help me determine a safe route, or if I have to honker down.

http://www.safetravelusa.com/

Current and projected road conditions can sometimes be more important than the weather forecast. I use three different weather forecast apps; weather underground, accuweather, and my radar. Why? Each uses a different formula for forecasts.

There ya go. If you have traveled a lot you probably have the skills and common sense based on experience to make the trip safely. If you have never been out of coastal California then are you in for a surprise. Lived in Orange County, central coast, and San Jose for 25 years so have some XP with the region. When we lived on Santa Maria a thunderstorm blew in. Our neighbors stood out in the poring rain. Why? They had never seen lightening and wanted to watch [emoji23].
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #13

Yeah we’re from Bay Area so this will be an experience. 34yrs in Law Enforcement should have given me some common sense so we’ll take it slow. Gave ourselves 11 days to reach NC. Thanks for all the tips. You guys are always spot on
Old 10-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #14

I agree with the others. Stay away from I70 this time of year. I40 is the way I would go.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel