Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

TriMark keyless entry - AUTH code vs ACCESS code?

Am I missing something, or if the Authority code is the same default from the factory, couldn't anyone who knows it just come to your coach, press the authority code and then in turn create their own access code?

Changing the authority code is miserable, you have to find some wiring harness, short some bare wire, and then go in and change it.

If this is the case, I am absolutely going to change the authority code so if anyone knows the best way to access it in a MA, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

Trust but verify is my motto. Changed the authority code on ours as soon as we took it home.

An added benefit I now know how to get into anyone's coach in less than five minutes using just a screwdriver.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

Jeff on my 2015 London Aire I’m sure yours is the same. There is a button on the lower steering column on the left side I believe you hold that in for three seconds and you can change your entry code.i believe what you are describing is the older units.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Wow! Hard to believe that TriMark made it so easy to enter coaches with this type of lock system! Of course when our first camper was broken into, the thief used a screwdriver also, except they forced the door open, after all they didn't care how much damage was caused!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #5

Changing the Authority Code is certainly a good idea. But the Authority Code does not allow access to the vehicle. You have to have the Authority Code AND access to the hardware (i.e., the button inside the vehicle) to change the Access Codes.

From the Trimark manual:

"The authority code does not enable secure functions (lock/unlock doors, etc.)—it is only used to assign access codes."
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
Jeff on my 2015 London Aire I’m sure yours is the same. There is a button on the lower steering column on the left side I believe you hold that in for three seconds and you can change your entry code.i believe what you are describing is the older units.
I wish I was. This is a new 2018 unit. According to the manual I have to find a wire bundle buried in the wall on the passenger side behind the grab bar/keypad, isolate a yellow (non-functional) wire in the bundle and short it, and then the keypad goes into a learning mode and then and only then can you change the authority code.

So literally if someone doesn't do that and I know your authority code (which I think is universal from the factory), I can go up to YOUR coach, enter the universal authority code from the factory, and create myself a nice little personal to me access code to let me into YOUR coach anytime I like.

Somebody please tell me I am wrong on this
Old 02-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gluckman View Post
Changing the Authority Code is certainly a good idea. But the Authority Code does not allow access to the vehicle. You have to have the Authority Code AND access to the hardware (i.e., the button inside the vehicle) to change the Access Codes.

From the Trimark manual:

"The authority code does not enable secure functions (lock/unlock doors, etc.)—it is only used to assign access codes."
The part in bold is incorrect. With the authority code all you need is the keypad to assign new access codes.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
I wish I was. This is a new 2018 unit. According to the manual I have to find a wire bundle buried in the wall on the passenger side behind the grab bar/keypad, isolate a yellow (non-functional) wire in the bundle and short it, and then the keypad goes into a learning mode and then and only then can you change the authority code.

So literally if someone doesn't do that and I know your authority code (which I think is universal from the factory), I can go up to YOUR coach, enter the universal authority code from the factory, and create myself a nice little personal to me access code to let me into YOUR coach anytime I like.

Somebody please tell me I am wrong on this
On the 2018 NA there is a push button on the steering column to set the Admin code. Bet you have one too.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
On the 2018 NA there is a push button on the steering column to set the Admin code. Bet you have one too.
Admin or auth code? Are these interchangable?

Changing the access codes is done by the keypad and is simple if you have the correct authority code.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
That would be great - but no mention of this in the owner's manual from TriMark. Maybe in the Newmar manual or on Newgle?
I think it is hidden somewhere in the Newmar manual on Newgle.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
The part in bold is incorrect. With the authority code all you need is the keypad to assign new access codes.
I stand corrected. I re-read the manual and you're absolutely right -- you only need the button to change the Authority Code. Wow -- you sure need to change the standard code ASAP!

Reminds me of the time we were looking at coaches on a dealer's lot on a Sunday when they were closed. I took a guess and discovered that we just had to enter 12345 into each coach for a chance to inspect the interior.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:33 AM   #12

The manual is incorrect as far as a bundle of wires in the wall by the passenger seat. I was going nuts trying to figure it out to change mine. There's a red button on the steering column that you have to press until it blinks, then you can go to the keypad to change the access code. Ken is correct on this.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hardly lock our MH. Between Verizon jet pack(for constant WiFi) and cameras we get instant notifications when someone comes near MH.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #14

BUT that still doesn't change the AUTH code so I think my original statement still applies. If someone has the original AUTH code, they can use keypad itself when the coach was locked/unoccupied to change the access code to whatever they want. I did this myself.

The manual says it makes it very difficult to change the AUTH code on purpose. The reason for this is if the AUTH code is known anybody can use it to program ACCESS codes, which are secure (lock and unlock) functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ51 View Post
The manual is incorrect as far as a bundle of wires in the wall by the passenger seat. I was going nuts trying to figure it out to change mine. There's a red button on the steering column that you have to press until it blinks, then you can go to the keypad to change the access code. Ken is correct on this.