RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Unhappy trip tech system

I am having trouble with my Trip Tech system. It worked last fall but has been stored over the winter. The only trouble I had before was with the rear camera system. It would work for 40 or 50 miles and then go blank. I would shut off the camera switch for awhile then turn it back on and it would work for awhile again.
Now I can not get the system to come on at all.
I can not find a fuse. Could it be the rocker switch for the camera, the Trip Tech box, or the rear camera?
Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks Bob
2005 Mountain Aire 4304

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

I don't have an answer for you but I do have the same system, the AVIC N1, my GPS has died (not getting signal from antenna) and I have replaced it with a portable one. The unit is made up of several components, the head unit, brain and xm module and from what little bit I've researched the AVIC it could be almost anything, if you can figure out which part is bad ie the brain or cables, etc. ebay has several of these items for sale. I expect my rear view to fail and dread that day. I'm not crazy about the unit but can't figure out what to replace it with. Good luck and please keep us informed.

harleyman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #3

We had the same problem with the camera on our 05 Mtn Aire. It would flicker a few times after driving it for a few miles then just go out. It always came back on after stopping and turning the key off. While it's kind of fuzzy what we did to resolve the problem, I would suggest calling Newmar and see if they have an idea or get them to give you the name of the supplier. I recall from another RV buddy that he was at the International Rally a few years ago and talked to the President of the company who supplied the camera system and they got it fixed at the Rally. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

I think I will get my test light and try to trace the power in and see if it is the rocker switch or something else. Thanks. Bob
Old 05-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #5

My trip tek system is tied into my rear view camera system, and when I was having problems with it (2 years ago), the owner/founder of the company came over to fix it (Tucson). Lovely guy, who told me that Newmar refuses to wire the camera correctly, and that 10% of his sales and 90% of his problems are with Newmar (the rest was Prevost). He has developed a diagnostic kit he sends to RV technicians to troubleshoot/fix the various views provided by his system. Just last week my coach was in Tucson for its pre-summer check-up, and the right turn camera was giving me trouble, and Rod happened to have his coach in at the same time and he fixed it again for me.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #6

As discussed in another thread, I replaced my Pioneer AVIC unit. It's death march lasted about an hour. First, the GPS quit functioning, like it was frozen in time. Then the rear camera monitor went blank. About this time, the tuning buttons on the radio became non functional.
I cannot determine from the OP whether his Trip Tech has quit or if his monitor has gone out. If only the Trip Tech as quit, try unplugging it from power for a few minutes.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #7

trip tech system

I found my problem on the trip tech. I had installed new house batteries and apparently when I disconnected the old batteries the loss of power made the trip tech system lose memory. I had to re-program it and everything was ok.
I am sure I will still have a problem with the camera going off and comming back on until I figure what is causing the problem.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #8

Gary L

Jayhawk, I had the same problem with mt trip tek, Newmar replaced the radio the camera and it srill didn't work, only itermittantly. I finally started to look at the problem myself and found that there was a lot of weight trom the wiring harness hanging on the plug into the trip tek unit that would break the connection and cause the screen to go blank. I used a wire tie to take the pressure off the plug and have not had a problem scince. Hope this helps you out. Gary
GaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is allot of information in the COM NET LINK " Tech Reference Information" Suppliers Literature section for all camera systems. including Trip Tech.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote