Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 05:43 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
To drive a Motorhome in Canada all you need from a license perspective is what you have from your home state. In other words, if you are legal in your home state, you are legal to drive in Canada. The same as you are from state to state in the US.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #30

CDL license in Canada

Sailfish- I can tell you with complete knowledge (having crossed into Canada 57 times over the past 62 years) that you DO NOT NEED A CDL DRIVERS LICENSE! Who ever tells you otherwise is misinformed. You need a valid drivers license from your home state & Proof of Insurance on the coach you're driving as well as the toad you're pulling. I have been across with coaches that had Hydraulic as well as air brakes & have never been questioned about my braking system.

They will check you on booze & smokes- you're allowed 1 case (24 cans or bottles not exceeding 12 oz./can or bottle) of beer or (not and) 1 5th of booze per person entering the country. 1 carton of cigarettes or 12 cigars per person on smokes. Also if you've had a DWI in the past 5 years - a felony in Canada- you must go through a special request waiver procedure that can require up to 9 -12 months to receive a waiver. They are very strict on this as we've had 2 gentlemen over the past years that were refused entry & had to turn around and fly back home because of this - be sure to ask all members of your party about any past DWI's.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #31

You will also need a Passport (either the small credit card type or the full blown book type).
Old 08-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
What about going into Canada with dogs What paper work do you need

Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post

Good Luck
JP
That's a good question!
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post

Good Luck
JP
All you need is proof that your pets vaccinations are current and up to date and proof the paper work carried is linked to each pet. Both our pets had tattoos and the paperwork had to match the tattoos. Same as what we need to enter the USA.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
All you need is proof that your pets vaccinations are current and up to date and proof the paper work carried is linked to each pet. Both our pets had tattoos and the paperwork had to match the tattoos. Same as what we need to enter the USA.

Tattoos? Do they have to have tattoos?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #36

These 2 websites might help

Steve

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inf.../1389648516990

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...-eng.html#_s2a
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Tattoos? Do they have to have tattoos?
No mine had tattoos and their paperwork reflected the connection to us, and, the tattoos were just a bonus.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish44 View Post
I am trying to find out if you are required to have a cdl if your coach has air brake when traveling in Canada. I have heard both yes and no. Anyone know for sure.....
Just to add to the confusion I called the local RCMP and also chatted with the people (CVSE) in charge of drivers licenses. The police were split 2/2 about needing a air brake ticket and all agreed the CDL is not necessary for a private vehicle.

The CVSE (Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement) people claim that you need an air brake permit. You would have to apply online to ICBC (Insurance Corporation of BC) and get them to e-mail you this paperwork so that you would be legal if you get into an accident. From what they said the whole thing is ICBC playing CYA with you.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #39

Thumbs down restrictions in canada

I heard that if you are towing the vehicle must have brake assist, regardless of weight. Anyone know if that is true?
sailfish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish44 View Post
I heard that if you are towing the vehicle must have brake assist, regardless of weight. Anyone know if that is true?
Here is a link for different providence's in Canada telling what is needed for each.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
tacaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Alaska 2016

Greetings,
Not sure how I missed this post earlier...
We went to Alaska prior to the Newmar International Rally in Pueblo. We left NC on July 14 and spent a few days in Rapid City SD, about a week in Glacier MT on the east side and went straight north, crossing into Canada on August 1.
We took our dog and only had to show his rabies vaccine paperwork. We took a shotgun and had completed the required Canadian paperwork ahead of time. Had to pay $20.00 to register the shotgun at our first crossing into Canada but it was good for 60 days. I took spare drive belts and fuel filter on the advice of Mike from Camp Freightliner. We towed a 2015 Ford F-150 with an RVI2 supplemental brake and a Blue Ox Karguard and windshield gravel wrap.
We had no mechanical issues and came home with the spare belts and filter...
No chipped or broken glass on toad but the paint has many, many chips. Even the wheels got chipped! As others have noted, the area in Yukon just before AK was worst section of highway. They don't call it destruction bay for nothing! Some sections were so bad that 15 mph seemed reckless! Several areas of lane closures with delays waiting for pilot cars and either extreme dust or mud behind water trucks. Yukon dust seems to turn to concrete...
Fuel is more expensive in Canada, even with the favorable exchange rate we had. We paid about $.99 per liter in Alberta and about $1.25 per liter in BC due to higher taxes.
We took over a week to get through Canada at our own pace and took the Alaska Highway from Mile Zero at Dawson Creek all the way to the end at Delta Junction. We did not go to Dawson City or Chicken. We saw all we intended to see in AK except the Aurora Borealis, wrong season...
Weather was excellent except for two days in Anchorage when it was misting rain but we visited museums and took the trolley tour and it was fine.
We stayed at Tok, Fairbanks, Denali, Trapper Creek, Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Palmer and departed from Tok heading south on September 1st. Most places close by mid September. We would have left NC earlier but DW just retired June 30 so we jumped in with both feet!
The only damage we had to the coach was chipped windshield but Safelite was able to repair it.
This was a tremendous experience! The scenery was simply breathtaking. We saw all the wildlife we hoped to see and the eagles at Homer are plentiful! Denali "came out" 100% and is an amazing sight. Cloud cover prevented our flight to Denali from Talkeetna but that was the only Wx cancellation we had. Ate much fresh seafood, had many conversations with locals and a close encounter with a Grizzly (from the safety of our coach)...
Have your paperwork in order and follow instructions at border crossings. Remember, those folks have a job to do.
We took over four thousand pictures and videos. DW started a travel blog but wifi is weak in many places and no signal at all in some areas. Even Sirius Radio craps out!
Take at least one credit card with a chip as some fuel stops are "card lock" unattended stations but you can activate pumps with chip card. We had no trouble finding fuel but I run on the top half of the tank...
I'm still finding dust, dirt and gravel in the nooks and crannies but I highly recommend making the trip. Just take your time! If you stay at Destruction Bay on Kluane Lake tell Loren we said hello!
Safe Travels!
dc3carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
"The CVSE (Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement) people claim that you need an air brake permit. You would have to apply online to ICBC (Insurance Corporation of BC) and get them to e-mail you this paperwork so that you would be legal if you get into an accident. From what they said the whole thing is ICBC playing CYA with you. "

I think you've muddied the waters -you've now talked to Commercial folks
I've found they simply don't understand that we are non-commercial drivers, (even though in Ontario I can drive commercially because I had to take the same test as commercial drivers based on weight and air brakes. No difference in my license - I can go drive a dump truck for a living tomorrow, anything up to a semi).

There are reciprocity agreements in place concerning driver's license between provinces and the US - I can't find the exact one right now though there are several between individual states and a province when you search on Google.

Basically if you are legal to drive in your home state/province, you are legal to drive in other states/provinces. If your home state/province requires an air brake endorsement, you need it if stopped in another province. Fines and violations in one country/state or province are now also coordinated - you can't get away without paying a ticket anymore.

This makes it simple - different states/provinces might have different ages to get your license and have different weight restrictions etc. It would make it a nightmare to travel throughout North America.

The main difference is safety requirements (eg aux brakes) or total length requirements and there are several links on the forums that provide a list of state/province requirements.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote