Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #71

Since you plan on going to Alaska, in addition, plan your trip through Canada. If you enter from East Glacier plan on going through Banff and Jasper with a stop over on the Ice Fields. While in Banff go see Lake Louise and take the drive down Bow Valley Parkway. Lots of wildlife and very scenic and at a slower pace than the expressway. We used mostly card lock fuel stops along the way, very few Pilot or Loves. Buy a copy of the Alaskan Highway Guide to enrich your trip from Dawson Creek to Tok.
ewlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenStMary View Post
We went to Alaska last year and did not need a CDL. They didn't even request to look at my DL. or insurance papers. My only concern about going into Canada was a gun permit. I went online to the RCMP website and downloaded their gun permit form and filled it out. When entering Canada they looked at my form, requested $25 for a carry permit, and asked for no other permits or anything else. Getting into Canada was, for us, much easier than getting back into the US
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc3carl View Post
There is no provision on the Canadian forms for "self defense". There is a provision for protection from wildlife so that's why we took it. We did not take any handgun, handgun parts, handgun ammunition or handgun holster (see a pattern here?).

The Canadian Border Agents will ask pointed questions about firearms and you'd best not have a handgun (or anything related to a handgun) unless you have complied with their very restrictive handgun regulations. We were asked about the shotgun at each subsequent crossing (Canada and US) but no agent ever entered our coach. BTW, we never felt threatened by any human or animal and never used the shotgun. I'm retired L. E. and don't leave home without a firearm...
Now THAT's the kind of information I was looking for when I joined here!

Thanks guys!
Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #73

2nd on the Columbia IceFields Hiway, Banff to Jasper AB. A must see drive. Also if time permits visit Waterton National Park. Canada's sister part to Glacier National Park.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #74

Park
Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc3carl View Post
Good reminder about Bear Spray! Pepper Spray is NOT allowed in Canada but you can bring Bear Spray (?)! I read somewhere that a US EPA number should be on the label and we found it at Walmart!
On occasion we've carried (but fortunately have NEVER had to use it) wasp spray. What we like about it is that it shoots a relatively LONG distance.

Anyone ever used it?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
With Summer fast approaching we are getting things in order I think !!! Direct TV just told me that their tv service will not work in Canada. Anybody experience this?
Thanks
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
With Summer fast approaching we are getting things in order I think !!! Direct TV just told me that their tv service will not work in Canada. Anybody experience this?
Thanks
JP
Dish does not work in Canada, I think too far North
Old 04-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #78

Alpine Owners Club
The typical dome on a MH will not go low enough to get a signal in Alaska or Canada.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #79

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
Thanks
JP

Direct, and Dish, are not licensed in Canada and you won't get aiming info from the receiver.

But, both will work fine with a big enough dish. The domes and tailgaters may be too small as you go further north. I've used both services over the years, using a single lnb 18" dish. There are lots of aiming apps that get you close enough to find the satellites.

I used Dish when I lived in the Arctic. A four foot dish aimed pretty much at the southeast horizon. This was in Kotzebue, 30 miles north of the Arctic Circle.

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Hey thanks for the info on TV service. Do most of the parks have cable in Canada? Or how about in Alaska do the parks have cable? How about OTA reception with the antenna does that receive anything? This is making the wife a little nervous she likes to watch the weather channel and stay up on the current weather.
Thanks
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #81

KZ RV Club
If you're using an open face 18" dish you should get good sat service 200+ miles north of the border. Go to 30" and you'll be OK way far north.

Here's some charts from KVH showing DirecTV coverage for North America with their different sized dishes.

United States Coverage: DIRECTV

Dish has better signal far north.

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #82

You could get a weather radio. It can be very liberating being away for the television!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #83

Heartland RV Club
We had no problem with DirecTV, until we headed further north to Fairbanks. While in Palmer we were able to get our normal reception.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #84

We had more problems with cell phone service than television - we bought "SPOT" satellite locator, set it up and every time we would move we would spot our location and a pre recorded message would be sent to our designated people that would let them know of our location and that we were all right. It also has 2 emergency messages to call 1st responders - one that tells them that we need assistance and another that says immediate attention needed, send ambulance, police, etc.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote