Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Hopper and Joey is Dish Networks whole house satellite system.
Thanks - that reveals how much TV I watch!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Hopper is a whole home DVR. Basically you can set the DRV to record a show and play it back in any room. It also handles multiple TVs at once. I'm not sure what Joey is.

Ok now I'm a little confused. I just signed up for Dish. My 07 Essex has a Direct TV receiver in it. I understand that I need to change a setting or something on the satellite dish so that it points to Dish satellite instead of Direct TV satellite. Other than that and plugging in a Dish receiver in place of the Direct TV receiver why does anything else have to change? What else has to change?

When I spoke to Dish they said the only receiver they offered for RVs was a ViP 211z?
What kind of satellite dish do you have on your Essex? I had a kvh L3 on my 05 Essex, changed it from DirectTV (what the previous owner used) to Dish. I had to call kvh to help me update the firmware in the L3.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Dick:
Let me try and pass along my recent experience upgrading my existing Dish System with my existing Travl'r antenna.
I considered switching to Direct to get the new customer discount.
The Travl'r antennas are provider specific so you will need to spend a bunch to switch providers. Somebody on this thread did it so they should be able to fill that gap. I decided it wasn't worth doing and stayed with Dish.
I got a bunch of run around from Dish employees about the service being in a MH. I suggest you call and insist on speaking to a tier two customer service employee to get it done. The issue for Dish is the installation in a MH. They will not do it and I personally wouldn't want them mounting hardware or running wire in my rig.
I explained I had existing service and just wanted an upgrade.
The tech that showed up was a very nice young man, who was very skeptical that the antenna installation was correct for the Hopper, which uses two coax cables from the antenna. When I installed mine, I rewired the entire project with the new coax provided and installed the second coax, even tho the 722 receiver does not use it.
We have the Hopper at the front TV and a wireless Joey for the rear bedroom and outside TV's. The Joey is small and only requires an AC outlet for power. It connects to the TV via an HDMI cable. You no longer need a coax or HDMI cable from the front to the back or elsewhere to enable additional TV's. The Joey is simple to move when we decide to use TV 2 or TV 3. The wireless configuration requires a Sling, which is their wireless transmitter. It connects to the Hopper and also needs an AC outlet.
I also added a sound bar up front so I added and additional quad AC outlet behind the front TV to simplify powering everything.
We just did the upgrade a couple of months ago and are very pleased with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0674.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	98730  
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go to this thread, I think you will find all the info you need for you wiring connections.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186898
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:46 PM   #19

Thanks for the information Mike. I had the same response from direct TV as far as working on a mh. But they did spend a tech out to check the home antenna to make sure it was working properly sooo while he was there I talked him to check the signal on the mh. He found out the receiver was not set up to get all of the satellites needed, was only getting three of them instead of the five needed for the local channels. If we do change to Dish I think I will just get a Tailgater antenna instead of messing with the roof antenna.
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #20

Not sure about changing the "setting" or something. We just bought a coach that was set up for DirecTV and am in the process of changing to DISH. The sat. dish on the coach was a winegard SWM3. We contacted Winegard and they said that particular dish could be converted to a DISH sat by changing out the LNB and reflector. Cost a little over 300.00 but it is easy to change out. We now get DISH programming but I am battling issue with coach being wired so that bedroom TV is on sep. sat cable and so my DISH 722K will not control all TV's as it does in stick house and I do not want to run new wires or use two receivers.

Hope this helps.
AbenCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #21

Mikelm48 / srh,
I have a KVH R6 in motion satellite. It is setup for Direct TV from the original owner. Because it is not a Winegard does that mean I can't use a Hopper/Joey setup? Do I need to change out the LNB or anything like that? Is this satellite capable of HD?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jager, I had an R5 previously. None of the rooftop dome antennas will support the Hopper and Joey. They can only look at one sat at a time. You can reprogram the kvh to do Dish, but no hopper. If you want the Hopper with a rooftop antenna you need the Winegard Trav'ler.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #23

Thanks Mike. I have been out of the satellite TV game for some time now and am out of touch with all the changes that have occurred. This clears things up for me. I probably won't upgrade right away. We are not full timers and only use it for 30 - 40 days a year so I probably don't need the Hopper right away.

Now that that is cleared up . . . is there a list of satellite receivers that the KVH R6 will support? Which is the best one to get and why?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Go to this thread, I think you will find all the info you need for you wiring connections.

DISH TV RV Network Diagrams - iRV2 Forums
Jager,
I think you will find lots of info on receivers in this thread also. This is my goto thread for sat info. If not search for your receiver on the Forum Search tool. As far as I know Dish only sells the 211Z now. I used a 211K which had an SD output on the rear that went to my rear tv, but all TVs have to watch the same channel. If you don't get the info you need, TechWriter seems to be the very knowledgable on the subject. Hopefully some others will chime in here that know more about receivers than I do.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #25

Ok, mission accomplished. One 722K recvr, programming on all 4 TV's just as in stick house. Did not have to run new cables (just short one from back of bdrm TV to coax hook up in bdrm cab. About 5 ft. Only compromise is that I have to put the recvr in the front A/V cab. Per forum advice I will be installing exhaust fans in the cab. Also since am having to hook up bdrm TV using coax it will not view in HD. That is not an issue at this time. So, I just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance and the Quick Tips site was very helpful.
AbenCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #26

Glad you got it all straighten out. I spent the day taking everything back out of my AV cabinet and replaced my fans.

Added a Blue Ray player and lights (so I don't need a flashlight every time I'm in there) .

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436136221.965163.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	99270

Tags
dish