Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

Trying to decide!!!!!

Hello Friends! I have posted several threads over the past year in trying to reach a conclusion on what to buy!!! Like maybe some of you I started big and when I did my numbers I decided to back off on how much too spend!!! Currently I realy like three models, 1) 2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3812, 2) 2015 Newmar Canyon Star 3953, and the 2015 Fleetwood Expedition 38K. I know these models are still very new, but at least the companies are still around. I know from what I have read Newmar seems to have great quality and I really like that, can anyone tell me if they have had any major issues lately with a Newmar product? Also how does the Fleetwood Expedition compare to the Newmar Ventana LE, I like the Conyon Star 3953 although I know this is a gasser but this model has everything anyone would want on a MH from an extra bed above the driver and passenger front seats, washer and dryer, dishwasher, LED lights all inside, entertainment center outside, beautiful decor etc!! Now the Ventana LE is close to the Canyon Star on options but considering it's a diesel it comes short to the Expedition 38K, the Ventana LE has smaller tires, does not come with an entertainment system outside, has a 340 HP compared to the 360 HP on the Expedition, so for the price each one has their own ups and down. Just checking on the price without really haggling on any of these three units here is what I was quoted. On the Ventana LE 3812 I was quoted $197,542, on the Canyon Star 3953 I was quoted $159,542 and on the Expedition 38K I was quoted $197,560 I really do not want to go over $225,000 with tax and tags, tags in Arizona are VERY HIGH!!!!!! Let me know your thought!!!!! I will be also checking out all of the new units at the Hersheys RV show in September!!!! Should be FUN!!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
We can start by giving you this link with some of the coach's your interested in from Newmar and some of the price lists for options that can be added.
In QT's # 3 there are threads of how others decided on what coach they wanted that may help and people at Newmar to help you decide on items you may want in your coach.
The gas lineup is on Ford chassis and the new chassis is way over the Ford truck chassis' I owned years ago. You can probably service it yourself very easily.
To early for issues with 2015 but chassis' on all have been around for some time now and most coach builds have been the same as the older coach's for the new year.
Can there be problems yes and looking through back threads will point them out what members have run into but most problems do get taken care of and most are happy with their coach even the people with older coach's.
So good luck in your decisions and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Grandcanyon, I haven't personally owned any of the coaches you've asked about but if you want it here's my $.02. I think you'll always find good and bad with any MH, the trick is to find what is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. Gas vs Diesel again both have advantages, however you do pay more for a diesel, both up front and in maintenance. As far as Newmar in general whether it's a gas Canyon Star or a diesel Ventana the quality is there. Newmar doesn't skimp because it's a gasser, you get the same attention to detail and the same customer service across the board with Newmar. If you need reasons why a gasser over a diesel here are a couple: maintenance is cheaper and you can get repairs at most Ford dealers. Todays engines (if properly maintained) will last well over 100,000 miles, the V-10 has been around for years, it's tried and true. The money you save on the engine can be spent traveling and using your new RV. Having a diesel offers it's own advantages: longer wheelbase, quieter at the drivers seat (engine in rear), more powerful engine.

Take them all out for a test drive, they're all very different, and see which you like better. Look at things like fit and finish, floor plan, types of materials used i.e. pressboard or real wood, and how you're going to use it, will it be for months at a time or just the occasional weekend get away. Do you need to tow a four down vehicle or a stacker trailer full of toys?

Again, only you and your family can decide what'll work and what compromises you're willing to make. You're giving due diligence, and it sounds like you're keeping an open mind, so you're doing good. If you've got any questions about something you see or read let us know, that's why we're all here. And if you make a decision please let us know (even if it isn't a Newmar) we're always interested and we all love RV's.

Best of luck and enjoy the show!
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Grandcanyon,
Based on what you have posted and all things being equal (no major issues with any of the products you are considering), consider answering these 3 questions (in order of importance):
1. Which floor plan best meets your needs? This may be hard to do, but it needs to be done.
2. Will the coach carry all your stuff and people? With Newmar this is the NCC rating.
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow? GCWR minus GVWR Also check the receiver hitch rating.
These are the things that will allow you to love or hate the coach every day.

If a coach passes these tests, one can make the decision as difficult as one wants to make it. Consider not getting too concerned with details you will forget the day you pick up the coach.

Edit: I am moving 37.5K lbs down the road with a 330 HP Cummins ISC. Patience is required in the mountains. Other than that, the Cummins is fine.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have been very happy with the Canyon Star. I pull a CR-V so the V10 has no issues. There are many threads on the Canyon Star and I am sure on the Ventana. I myself and my Uncle have owned Fleetwoods, this is my first Newmar and it is number 1 in my book.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2013...te-156120.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/cons...ml#post1794589
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #6

We have the Canyon Star 3610, which is 2 feet shorter than the 3953 you are looking at. It is very similar to the 3953 in weight, it does not have a garage but does have a bath and a half. It really is all about the floorplan that fits your needs the best. We considered going with the 3920, but opted for a bigger interior than the garage. As far as the Ford gas chassi, it has been great so far, the lowest gas mileage we have got is 6 mpg, while the best has been 10 mpg, we can count on about 8 mpg as a rule. Plenty of power, and the towhaul mode really controls the speed on the downhills with minimum braking. We got the 26000 lb chassi (same as the 3953) which has the longer wheelbase as well as the 22.5 tires. I just did my first oil change and lube, and to be honest it was easier than doing my 4Runner as it is much easier to get under, and it cost me about $45 for oil, filter, grease ect.

I think the 159k you were quoted is a little high as when we were looking at the 3920 they had a 2013 for 125k and the 2014 was 130k ( I don't know what additional equipment the might 3953 have). As stated before Newmar puts the same quality build into the gas models as they do the diesel pushers. The Newmar similar to our floorplan in a diesel was about 100k more, and for the money we decided to go with the gas model. I know I'm biased but after going out RVing with several friends and seeing what they deal with you won't be disappointed with any of the Newmar products/service. Good luck and just take your time and drive all the ones you are considering. Don't be afraid to ask for more of a discount, and or contact multiple dealers on line.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We just purchased a 2014 Ventana LE 3436 and couldn't be happier!

My wife fell in love with the floorplan and since it's just the two of us we opted for a mid length coach.

Funny thing is that while talking with the dealer about the coach he didn't even mention the Comfort Drive system till the very end of our final conversation.

So far I honestly have to say that we haven't found anything wrong with this coach other than a sticking basement door latch which I shot with some WD40.

We have had it for over a month now putting 600 miles on it doing three trial runs before we leave for the Twentynine Palms USMC base this October.
Am getting reacquainted with RV driving since we sold our 30' Southwind 15 years ago.

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #8

Hello Again! Thanks for all of the good advise. I can tell you that the floor plan that I need has to have a bath and half, and I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm really leaning towards the Canyor Star 3953 as this has everything we are looking for and more. For 2015 a diswasher is even available and my wife is jumping over that!! One question do any of you have the power MCD windows shades, this is another option for 2015 but I'm not sure how it works any way again THANKS for the help and I will keep in touch.
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

We have MDC window shades on every window. The only ones that are power are the two on the windshield (two separate switches for day/night shade) . Both will only let you go so far down with the engine running. The others are pull down and work very well with no problems. They are easy to clean and well worth the extra cost.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at tiffin

Make sure you look at Tiffin.
WBBB1 is offline   Reply With Quote