Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #1

Trying to remove lens on outside security lights

The outside security light on the driver's side (1/2 way back) is out and since I've only had them on twice it may never have been good.
Can anyone tell me how to get the lens off so I can replace the bulb? It doesn't seem to have any screws so I'm assuming it must just pry off somehow. Then has to be re-caulked around the light housing?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Squeeze it and it comes off. At least that's the way mine works.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Do not know what you have, but if it the large round light it has recessed screws around the circumference of the lens .
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #4

Sorry, as usual I forget the important information. I have a 2015 4018 Dutch Star and the two outside security lights are oval shaped, almost like a football. I don't see any screws around the outside of the light fixture any place.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As "macnut" stated, just squeeze it and it will come off.

Since you may still be a little weak from taking the fuel filter off, you can also get under an edge and pop/pry it off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Squeeze it.....top & bottom.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Since you may still be a little weak from taking the fuel filter off, you can also get under an edge and pop/pry it off.
That's good Don. You undoubtedly know these things from practical experience? I'm lucky to be able to carry my 7' fiberglas ladder over to the side of the coach. I did it yesterday but will have to rest today.
And a thanks to all who responded. With all that caulk around the case of the light I just couldn't see how to approach the thing.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

Just a thought Wagonmaster. Since you have to drag out the ladder maybe a good time to replace with a LED. You know....if you really want to scare people. We call them scare lights.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Just a thought Wagonmaster. Since you have to drag out the ladder maybe a good time to replace with a LED. You know....if you really want to scare people. We call them scare lights.
Will that take a whole new light fixture or just a different bulb?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great advice, twojayhawks. All I had to do was replace the bulb....a lot less powerful more light! :-)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's a standard bulb base, so you can add any LED you want. Buy one of the LED's with 24 or 36 individual LED's on a board with a 3M backing. They typically come with a 1157 base and a plug in base, that you can connect either via a short wire. Use the 3m backing to attach inside the lens and angle it down some for better lighting.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 99 DS and just replaced the bulbs. They are round and lens had screws. Just wondering if our old fixture can use the LED bulb since it takes 1157 auto bulb. We also have the side backup lights and would like to change to LED. Haven't tried to remove those lens. Did not quite understand about why you need a wire if the base is the same.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"roadstar99"....If you look at the little LED light panels, about 2.5" x 2.5" with multiple LED's, they come with a small wire and plug attached. It also will comes with several bases, including an 1157, bayonet and maybe another style, each with a matching plug. This allows you to plug in whatever base you need to make the light work. The wire and plug just makes it more versatile in what it will fit.

I bought what are called COB LED's. When you look at an LED bulb, you usually see several little yellow squares, each are LED's. The COB LED's are those same squares, but huge, putting out a lot of light. My COB LED's are 1" square. I soldered two of them together to one 1157 base and installed them in my scare light. I can light up quite an area when needed.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Must really still be too weak from changing the fuel filters. I must not have enough power in my hands to squeeze the outside of the light enough but I'm making the whole coach shake while trying to pull off the lens.
What is holding that light cover on? What am I trying to overcome in order to get it off? For some reason I'm not doing it right.
I thought about waiting till I'm at Nappanee for my next appointment and having the service people pull it off, but the last I'd read they charge over $20 just for a light bulb if I remember right.

Tags
light, lights