Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Trying to stop the kitchen mirror from falling

What, if any, is anyone with possibly 2014,2015, & 2016, maybe just Dutch Stars, doing anything to prevent the kitchen mirror from falling off the wall? At least one of our Posters has had the mirror fall to the floor and another Poster had work done to prevent this while in Nappanee.

As an individual I'm wondering how we can reach back between the kitchen cabinet and the wall of the small bath to better secure this mirror to the wall. It doesn't look possible to attach any kind of clips like the tall bedroom mirror has since the kitchen mirror has sculptured wood trim around it.

Any ideas on fixing this possible catastrophe?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 04:48 AM   #2

I have a 2015 DSDP 4639 and would be interested in knowing what can be done. On my last trip the DW noticed the mirror was lose from the wall. I pushed it in and it seems to be ok for now but I know it will loosen up again. How many others have noticed it loosening from the wall?
Phil_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:38 AM   #3

Kitchen mirror falling

We attached a 48x20 inch mirror to our bathroom door with 3m extreme double sided tape. Used 15 feet of it to secure mirror. Ran strips the down each side and one in the middle of the door. Mirror has been on now for a yr. No problems....only get one shot at placing mirror. Once tape touchs mirror/door cannot reposition...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #4

I intend to keep a close watch on the mirror but as usual, bad things always happen when you're not prepared. If it does come loose when you can catch it I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to get it set back in place all in one motion in that tight area where it is. I'd wager Newmar set this mirror in place before the kitchen slide was put in.

Been trying to figure out what could be placed on the floor while traveling in case it did come down during a jolting ride in order to protect the floor and hope it didn't break. Maybe wedge a pillow or piece of foam between the cabinet and the mirror.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I intend to keep a close watch on the mirror but as usual, bad things always happen when you're not prepared. If it does come loose when you can catch it I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to get it set back in place all in one motion in that tight area where it is. I'd wager Newmar set this mirror in place before the kitchen slide was put in.

Been trying to figure out what could be placed on the floor while traveling in case it did come down during a jolting ride in order to protect the floor and hope it didn't break. Maybe wedge a pillow or piece of foam between the cabinet and the mirror.
Our model's kitchen mirror is on one wall of the kitchen slide, so we couldn't leave anything wedged there. I might put some glaziers points in the trim to help hold the glass.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

I would only try to wedge something between the small bath front wall and the kitchen slide cabinet after the slide was already retracted. Then it would have to be remove before extending the kitchen slide. Probably wouldn't work though, as what could be used that would be soft enough to wedge in there but strong enough to support the mirror.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #7

Line it up witha straight edge like a 1x3 set one miror edge and then press it in place and hold it for several minutes to let tape adhere.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #8

Has anyone noticed their mirror coming detached slightly from the wall and managed to completely take it down without breaking it? Then were you able to re-attach it yourself, or is this a job for the "professionals"?

Ours seems to be fairly solid up/down the edge by the bathroom door but reaching clear back to the outside wall between the cabinet and the mirror I can tell there is a small gap between the mirror and the wall it should be attached to. But by looking up from the floor I can tell the chair rail that the mirror sets on is also not square against the wall. I wish I had known all this 2 months ago while at Nappanee but I'm sure not ready for a third 900 mile drive to get there. Certainly not one of my favorite travel spots.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
The mirror is attached to the bathroom wall with double sided tape and supported on the bottom with a molding. A small gap which is the thickness of the tape is normal.

2015 DSDP 4369, 2014 Grand Cherokee, SMI AF1, VMSpc. Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #10

another Poster had work done to prevent this while in Nappanee.

Why not call Newmar and ask them?

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My mirror was very loose. I pried it off the wall. It is just held in place with double sided tape. No wonder it does not stay in place.
I scraped all the old tape of, put new double sided tape directly on the mirror and used lots of silicone glue. I used the trim piece along the lower edge of the wall to slide the mirror back in place and then secured it with wedges. Just look at the pictures. It seems to be holding very well. No more movement.Click image for larger version

Name:	20161024_173131.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	142648Click image for larger version

Name:	20161024_182459.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	142649Click image for larger version

Name:	20161024_185747.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	142650
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your post Carefree, its now posted in QT's # 3 Problem Solving
Excellent fix.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #13

Carefree - after applying the double sided tape where did you use the glue?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
In between the tape. I used lots of the glue. The tape is only there to temporarily secure the mirror.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote