Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

TST 507 to EezTire T515

I have had the TST 507 system with repeater for about 1-1/2 years and have just changed to the EezTire T515 system.

The support from the TST people has been outstanding. They have replaced problem component failure items without question and promptly. I have replaced three monitors and several sensors.

There have been a lot of little nagging problems over time and a continuing monitor issue.

507 Issues
The monitor is very dim, even after forcing the backlight to stay on all the time. Most of the time I must use my tactical flashlight to read the monitor. There has been a promise of a new brighter monitor for over a year, but none has shown up.

I have monitors installed in both the MH and toad. On my last trip one toad tire sensor would drop out for a time on the MH monitor and then come back on for a while. The booster was operating at this time as always. When using the toad monitor, the tire sensors did not drop out ever. I consider the toad monitoring to be the most important because a tire problem with it won’t be felt in the MH so I don’t feel comfortable with a toad sensor dropping out.

The last problem was that one MH sensor showed a pressure 10 psi lower than indicated by a good pressure gauge. The gauge and the other tire sensors were with 2 psi of each other.

All in all, it has just become too much hassle, and I decided to change.

EezTire T515
I chose the EezTire T515 system because of the good reviews and because of the special offer of a free repeater for Newmar owners.

So far I like the system very much.
1. The owner’s manual is very professional, well written, and complete.

2. The monitor is larger than TST monitor, and it is much brighter. The alarm messages are shown as real text messages, not just icons.

3. The initial setup is simpler for me than the TST. The alarm settings (high, Low) can be set for each axel on the toad as well as the MH.

4. The coding (coding a sensor to a tire position) of each tire sensor can be done in two ways. The way I prefer stores the sensor code by just screwing the tire sensor onto the valve stem.

5. The non-flow through sensor battery has a life expectancy of 3 to 4 years. The TST sensor battery life expectancy up to 2 years.

6. The time from power on to value display is about five minutes or less. My TST system took from 10 to 15 minutes.

My initial impressions have all been positive. Time will tell the whole story, and I’ll report what the long time results.

Good Luck!
Wil
wca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

Quick question please for the OP. Are the monitors for the TST and the EEZ about the same quality of construction? Thanks in advance.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #3

I'm not sure how to answer that question. I had to replace two TST monitors. They just stopped working. I don't know why. It could have been just a faulty monitor, or something like a bad power source connection, or a bad battery.

The biggest issues for me were:
1. Brightness. The TST is just really dim even in backlight mode.
2. Size. It is very small and the text is not easy to see.
3. There are only icons to indicate what an alarm is, and the icons for those alarms are almost impossible to see when the monitor is on the dashboard.

The EezRV monitor eliminates those issues for me.
It looks and feels well made, but I haven't had it very long, so I don't know about its durability will be.

An interesting side note:
About 5 hours after I first installed the system on the toad the pressure in the front driver's side tire showed a decrease in pressure of about 3 psi. That isn't unusual with varying temperatures, but the pressure continues to decrease very slowly.

I was concerned because that tire pressure changed more than the other three tires. Next morning I re inflated the tire and all seemed fine for most of that day. Just to keep my eye on the situation, I brought the monitor inside to keep watch on it. The pressure continued to drop very slowly.

It could be a leaking sensor or leaking tire, or faulty monitor, and it was very strange that this was occurring on the very first day of the new installation. Soapy water spray on the sensor and valve stem were negative. Soapy water on the tire that I could reach was negative.

In order to determine if the sensor was at fault, I swapped the right and left front sensor locations. The same tire continued to slowly decrease in pressure so the sensor was eliminated as a problem.

This was the strangest tire leak I have ever seen. The rate of decrease wasn't constant. It would just increase and decrease over time. When the pressure in that 30 psi tire decreased to 22 psi, I took the toad to the tire shop. They removed the tire and found that the problem was a sidewall break, and that was why the leak was erratic.

I think the early warning of the TPMS saved the day. It could have been a much more serious thing without the early warning.

This story may influence you to get a TPMS if you are on the fence about the issue.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 06-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #4

While this thread is still active I'll add two additional features I like with the EexRv system.

1. Each toad axle alarm value (high, low pressure) can be set individually. The TST system sets the same alarm values for all toad axles. That didn't mean much to me until the story in my last post. The tires I need for that problem had to be ordered which meant that that strange spare must be used for a day or two. That spare requires 60 psi pressure while the other toad tires require 30 psi. I was able to set the front high pressure alarm at 70 psi while keeping the rear axle high pressure at 45 psi.

2. The EezRv system allows you to drop the display of either the MH or toad. That means you can use the monitor in the MH without without cycling through the toad tires, and you can drop the MH and just cycle through the toad tres. That makes it convenient to use a single monitor for either or both the MH and/or toad.

With the TST system you can only drop the toad tires.

Since I believe it is important to have a monitor in the toad when driving, knowing about this would have saved me buying a second monitor.

Good Luck!
Wil
Old 06-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

Wil, since 2008 all new US autos have had TPMS systems installed. Albeit not on the spare tire. So most toads would have TPMS with some type of warning, either a dash light or many now display all 4 tire pressures.

The built in TPMS doesn't typically show tire temperature.

Trivia fact. Your car can be tracked by the TPMS sensor.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #6

The factory TPMS does not give me the information I want. It did not give me any info about the problem I just had - no warning, no alert, no nothing. My aftermarket TPMS gave me many and ample warnings that saved me from a blowout. I'll continue to use the second monitor in the toad.

But thanks for the info.

Wil
Old 06-03-2017, 05:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Wil
Interesting read. I'm a TST 507 user and have a couple of thoughts. You mentioned you could change each sensor limits with the new T515 system. How does that differ from the TST 507? Also you use two (2) monitors? One for the coach and another for the toad?

I've also had dropped signals and most times it's the battery starting to fail. So I added battery installation dates to my maintenance list. About every 15 months I'll replace them.

Interesting note: on my '08 DS 4023 I needed a repeater to read all sensors. The '14 DS 4364 I no longer need the repeater. I explained to the DW that going to the newer, longer coach saved us the cost of a repeater.

I wonder if the newer upgraded monitor will work with the older sensors?

Nice write up!
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

The 507 sets the same high and low pressure values on all toad axles at the same value. The T515 sets those limits on each axle - up to four axles.

I use a monitor in both the MH and toad. Sometimes I am driving the MH and DW is driving the toad. Both drivers have access to a monitor. I insist on a monitor in the toad, and two monitors is convenient because you don't need to transfer the monitor.

Two sensors on the toad would drop in and out at random times. Replacing the batteries didn't help.
Good Luck!
Wil
Old 06-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We are very happy with our EEZ - no issues at all.
We got the booster for free (The EEZ Newmar offer) & reads the toad just fine.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:57 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wca01 View Post
The 507 sets the same high and low pressure values on all toad axles at the same value. The T515 sets those limits on each axle - up to four axles.
Good Luck!
Wil
Interesting. My sensors are set individually (per tire) on all 12 tires. I must be missing something.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:36 AM   #11

The high and low pressure values are not set for each sensor on either system. They are set by axle.

They are set for each axle on the T515 including each axle on the toad.

They are set for each axle on the MH, but for all the toad axles with one setting on the 507 system.

The coding (assigning a sensor to a wheel location) is done for each wheel on both systems.

Your confusion was most likely the difference between Set function (alarm values) and Code function (assigning the sensors to individual wheels).

Good Luck!
Wil