Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

TST Color Monitor

TST has new color and grayscale monitors for their TPMS.

I'd like to hear your experience with both of the new monitors.

Good Luck!
Wil
wca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wca01 View Post

Good Luck!
Wil
I'm using the color monitor and this is my first TPMS, so can't really make a comparison. What I really like about the TST507 with the new monitor is that it is truly cordless until it needs recharging which is about 2 weeks for my system. Recharge is done via a standard USB cord or cell phone charger that uses USB for charging. This means I have no cords hanging down around the dash, do not need to wire anything in permanently, and can place the monitor anywhere, including a table behind the seat. The unit has an audible arm. It comes with the typical windshield suction cup mount and also a rubber (fairly stable) table top mounting cradle.

Any tire number/configuration can be programmed in. I can push a couple of buttons and take the toad off, or even move the unit to the toad and take the MH off the screen. I would recommend it based on 2 months of ownership.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #3

Quote:

Good Luck!
Wil
I had the B/W TST 507 monitor and it was acceptable. I moved up to the color monitor this past Jan @ the Tampa show. The color monitor is easier to see in bright light. I am glad I went with color.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had the B/W monitor that came with the TST system. Last year at the Pomona RV Show, they were selling the color monitor for $100.00. I bought one. Initially, it didn't come with instructions and didn't set up the same as the B/W model. It wasn't intuitive if you made a mistake and had to reset it. Eventually I got the manual and got it installed.

With all that said, it was nice to have the latest gadget, but I'm really on the fence if it's any better than the B/W model for visibility.

It does come with a nice rubber mount if you just want to set it on the dash. It also has a stubby antenna (about 1/2") compared to the B/W.

Here is a photo of it booting up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090358.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	201376
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have the TST507 color monitor as well. First TPMS So nothing to compare it to otherwise. With sunglasses on I find it hard to read but I think that would be the same with the black-and-white version as well. No problem is without sunglasses.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can’t speak of readability. I only own the original display.

One of the things that I didn’t like about it are the symbols. If it were something you saw everyday...I guess you would interpret their meaning quickly. Personally, I prefer the words. For me...it would take less time for my brain to identify the nature of the alarm.

The EEZ system uses words...

The problem is...how effective is the display in different lighting conditions. I haven’t heard too much praise regarding that for the new color model.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I updated two weeks ago from an older monochrome 510 system to the new larger color 507. Got tired of having to send the sensor back for dead batteries. The color screen is pretty good. Larger display so I can set it further away and still see it. Being colors on a black screen it doesn't shift colors for night time driving but isn't overly bright. The other nice thing is a dedicated on/off switch rather than holding a switch for 6 seconds to shut the system down. Power is via a USB plug rather than a cigarette lighter adaptor which gives me a bit more flexibility.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #8

TST Color Monitor

I have an old B/W 507. Are the sensors compatible with the new color display? If so maybe I’ll upgrade!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I have an old B/W 507. Are the sensors compatible with the new color display? If so maybe I’ll upgrade!
Yes...TST has been to the RV shows offering the standalone color display for a special price.

It will pair to your existing sensors.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I got the color monitor at the IRV2 rally last fall when they announced and first released them. I tried it out for one leg and stopped using it. First major thing I don't like is they reversed the temp and PSI so temp is left on the color where PSI is left on black and white. It's bigger and thicker. I have the LCD display mounted on the shade of the camera monitor, sits perfectly on top. The suction mount for the color display does not stay on well, it fell off. The plastic antenna cap flew off, they are aware of this and told me use a drop of glue. I reported my feedback and never heard back. First and foremost as a software developer we know humans read top to bottom left to right so priority info should be on the LEFT side such as PSI and not TEMP. Why would you switch these? Temp doesn't read at all on mine (i.e. it doesn't show tire temp), my tire temps are ambient temps other than the right rear of the toad which is probably picking up diesel exhaust which again would be ambient temp.

My suggestion - avoid the color monitor, the LCD (B&W) is much better. Also battery life, I forgot. As expected, short on the color, LCD I can go a month. After the color display fell off the window I never used it again, I went back to and am happy with the trusted LCD monitor.

As to the dash mount - doesn't work on the Ventana dash with the angle and the type of rubber it is you can't glue anything to it to help make a friction mount. So both mounting solutions that came with it were unusable for me.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #11

Thanks Neal for the helpful review and insight. Saves me $100, and I owe you a beverage of your choice!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Thanks Neal for the helpful review and insight. Saves me $100, and I owe you a beverage of your choice!
Keg of Guinness please
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #13

I just bought the color monitor to replace the B/W one. Haven’t had it out yet but so far sitting in the shop without any sunlight it seems fine. Possibly even better than before. Will know for sure in a couple weeks.

As far as the question about programming sensors. Just an FYI. I have 6 TST sensors on the coach. 6 TST sensors on the Race Car Trailer and 4 EEZ sensors on my Wrangler. They ALL are on the same frequency and programmed no problem.
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #14

Quote:

Good Luck!
Wil
Had their old monitor and ordered the new color one. I like the color monitor much better because it is easier to use and see, the charging connection is better with the USB cord, and I find it easier to program. The Antenna is more robust on the color monitor as well.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote