Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Turbo cool down

Being new to a DS have been reading a thread about proper turbo cooldown periods and temperatures via a pyrometer ?

I would like to know if the turbo temp is available as a standard feature with a Cummins / Spartan combination somewhere on the instument panel or is it a feature I should add. The coolant temperature guage is apparent but a turbo temp guage is not.

The accepted temperature for cooldown seems to be 350 but is a Cummins ESL 370 HP the same ?

Thanks in advance
gimlimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimlimike View Post
Being new to a DS have been reading a thread about proper turbo cooldown periods and temperatures via a pyrometer ?

I would like to know if the turbo temp is available as a standard feature with a Cummins / Spartan combination somewhere on the instument panel or is it a feature I should add. The coolant temperature guage is apparent but a turbo temp guage is not.

The accepted temperature for cooldown seems to be 350 but is a Cummins ESL 370 HP the same ?

Thanks in advance
That is a new twist on cool down. Never heard of taking the turbo temp prior to shutting down. According to every class I have been to and every article I have read on motorhomes, just let it idle down, watch your coolant temp, and no problems. According to Mike Cody (Instructor with Freightliner) by the time you coast off the interstate into a truck parking spot you have already started your cool down. Now as far as what I will do, I try to get the coolant temp down to mid to low 180 before I shut down,
Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #3

Pretty sure that the temp would be on the data bus from the engine. Using a laptop and VMSPC with the appropriate connectors from Silver Leaf Systems you would be able to see the data.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had a turbocharged Bonanza airplane and it was required to allow the turbo temp to drop below 975F before shut down. But I also have many miles in over the road vehicles and never have worried about turbo cool down. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
350 is around the minimum exhaust temp you will get at idle. That said, your turbo will be cooling down as soon as you let off the throttle. This is because in a diesel engine there is no throttle valve to restrict air flow into the engine like on a gas engine.
The reason for cooling down before shutdown is to cool the turbo and the oil in it. While running down the road, there is enough oil flow to keep the oil in the turbo from turning to charcoal. Also after cooling down, the oil left in the turbo will be able to keep from burning because it will be well below the flash point.
Hope that clears it up a bit for you.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't have a gauge that shows the turbo temp or the exhaust temp. What I do is when I come off the interstate where I have been running at 60+mph and into a parking spot, I put the engine on high idle for 3 minutes. And I use my cell phone to time it. If we are only there for a quick stop like letting the dog to go out and pee, I don't shut off the engine. If I come off the interstate and just drive normally through a town for 5 mins or so to the campsite, I don't do a cool down as it will have cooled down already from normal driving.

But if you've been running hard on the highway, a cool down is mandatory or you can literally cook the turbo's oil inside the turbo and have it stick to the walls of the turbo.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

That leads me to believe that none of the engine builders think that precise turbo cool down temperatures is that important.

I worked in diesel powered equipment for 40 years. I only recall 2 sister vehicles with EGT gauges, 1985 DM 800 Mack trucks. They used a tip turbo fan, intercooler filters, that would plug up and cause high EGTs.

We also ran 2, 1000 HP twin turbo Cat V12 engines, that had E stop systems. Processing yard waste caused hundreds of overheat shutdowns and they still lasted over 10,000 hours before we replaced the whole engine due to dusting.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Pretty sure that the temp would be on the data bus from the engine. Using a laptop and VMSPC with the appropriate connectors from Silver Leaf Systems you would be able to see the data.
I run with the VMSPC and wonder if anyone could tell my on what PID I would find the turbo temp so that when I bring our coach out of hibernation come spring I could setup a simple gauge to show the turbo temp.

Thanks for any info on this.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
'Coking' the oil in turbo's WAS a concern 20 to 30 years ago, but it is a thing of the past now... if you do a google search all the warnings are from old references...

Oils are better, turbos are better, and having driven 4 turbo'ed cars and 3 turbo'ed trucks the last 10 years or so, never worry about turbo cool down....

if you think about it, 99 times out of 100 you've already cooled down by the time you get off the interstate and driven a block to the service station or whatever... in fact, that's a better cool down than idling !

but, if you want to do it, go ahead... it's your vehicle, not mine
Old 11-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
'Coking' the oil in turbo's WAS a concern 20 to 30 years ago, but it is a thing of the past now... if you do a google search all the warnings are from old references...

Oils are better, turbos are better, and having driven 4 turbo'ed cars and 3 turbo'ed trucks the last 10 years or so, never worry about turbo cool down....

if you think about it, 99 times out of 100 you've already cooled down by the time you get off the interstate and driven a block to the service station or whatever... in fact, that's a better cool down than idling !

but, if you want to do it, go ahead... it's your vehicle, not mine
I agree driving a block or so is sufficient to cool down the turbo. But what about pulling off the interstate into a rest area that is right on the highway? No driving cool down time there.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #11

Shoot your turbo with a laser, before shutting down........... Accurate and cheap also.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Shoot your turbo with a laser, before shutting down........... Accurate and cheap also.
Great plan! By the time I lift the bed, then lift the engine compartment hatch, I'm sure the turbo will have spooled down due to ZERO load on the engine. The simple reality, without a load on the engine, the turbo EGT will be down to acceptable limits to shut the engine down within a very short time period. Oh, and don't race the engine just prior to turning the key off.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins says that just slowing down going down an off ramp is enough cool down time, unless you just crested something like Eisenhower pass at full throttle.
In most instances a cool down isn't necessary.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #14

Lift the bed and then the hatch. That's enough for a cool down on ourselves. LOL
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turbo