Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Turn signals not flashing with brake depressed

Turn signals flash normally, but freeze on when brake pedal depressed. Place to start?

2008 Newmar Essex
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have separate brake and turn signal bulbs on the back of your RV? Have you added a trailer hook-up? What you describe often happens when separate Stop and Turn wires are combined into a trailer hook-up without installing a converter.

Trailer Hitch 3 Wire System Universal Fit Wiring | etrailer.com

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Both our Essex and our tow Durango do the same thing when you step on the brake the flasher stop working and that the way it's wired and not a problem. Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Both our Essex and our tow Durango do the same thing when you step on the brake the flasher stop working and that the way it's wired and not a problem. Tom
Well maybe not for you, but other drivers might want a clue as to what you're about to do!

Bob & Donna
Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
BonanzaFlyer,

Is this happening when you have just your left/right turn signal on? Or is it when your hazards are flashing?

We've always had the issue of the hazards stopping flashing when the brakes are applied (which we think is a safety issue, but Newmar seemed to disagree)... but the individual turn signals work.

If it's the turn signals that stop whenever you apply the brakes, I would suspect that there's a short somewhere between the brake signal line and the turn signals. I would probably start testing by disconnecting the toad and the electrical umbilical between them and see if it happens then. If it doesn't, then it's an issue with the wiring between the RV and toad... or in the toad. If it does, then you know it's an issue on the RV.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Is this a new problem or has it always done this? If it has always done this it is most likely how the toad lights are wired into the coach. Some brands, my Honda CRV, may not work properly when just using diodes in the wiring. At least according to Blue OX. Mine has a separate bulb installed in the toad tail light assembly and everything works properly.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #7

If your brake light filament is flashing for turn signals (i.e. two filaments flashing) then its the short between brake & turn. Power on brake + short = solid on signal to both filaments. this could happen at a bulb base w/a short between both contacts.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #8

It's a priority issue. It's more important for drivers to know you are stopping! Normal operatiun.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaFlyer View Post
Turn signals flash normally, but freeze on when brake pedal depressed. Place to start?

2008 Newmar Essex
This is NOT normal and needs attention.

Just to verify some information:

1. Is this for the toad, MH or both?
2. Is this for both sides or only one side?
3. Does this do the same with and without your toad?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
You have seperate bulbs for the turn signals. Each of the four lights have 3 bulds stop, turn and backup. Are you saying your turn signal bulbs do not flash when you put on the brakes?
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #11

I have the same problem but only with my Hazard lights which has gotten me stopped now twice on i70 going over the mountains. Here in CO if you are over 26k pounds you have a different speed limit and the requirement to use your hazard lights on certain parts of 70.... Which is all good except that when the compression break comes on it activates the break lights and my hazards stop working.

Would love to know if anyone has found a work around as Newmar has said ... That's just how it works.
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmc View Post
It's a priority issue. It's more important for drivers to know you are stopping! Normal operatiun.
Not necessarily. If someone passes you as you are turning, slowing and changing lanes, etc. I can't believe this is legal or normal. IF you have red brake lights and amber (or separate red turn signal) they should be completely separate circuits. The only way they can malfunction is if they are wired together, perhaps at a trailer hook up. Usually a separate turn/brake system is hooked up to a trailer connection by way of a converter.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantclan View Post
I have the same problem but only with my Hazard lights which has gotten me stopped now twice on i70 going over the mountains. Here in CO if you are over 26k pounds you have a different speed limit and the requirement to use your hazard lights on certain parts of 70.... Which is all good except that when the compression break comes on it activates the break lights and my hazards stop working.

Would love to know if anyone has found a work around as Newmar has said ... That's just how it works.

If the brake light activate I think the brake lights should take precident over the flashers. There has been much discussion over wether the brake lights should acivate when the supplemental brake system is activated.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
When I have my 4 ways on every light on the rear of the Coach and my Jeep are flashing and when I step on the brake pedel the 4 ways stop flashing and go on solid red (brake lights) and if I let off the pedel they start to flash again till I shut off the 4 ways......Normal.

Tags
brake