Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Turning off water to reduce risk of coach flooding

We turn off the water to our coach (spigot or water pump) whenever we are away - even for a walk around the campground - to reduce the risk of flooding. We have heard this advice from friends who are long time campers and from fellow Newmar owners at a full-timers seminar at the NKK International Rally in Pueblo, CO.

We saw first hand today why that advice is important to follow. During a walk around the campground, we noticed water pouring out of the basement of a high-end fifth wheel. We turned off the water at the spigot and knocked on the door, but no one was home, so we do not know the cause or extent of the damage. We left a note on their door and notified the campground office.

We use a large "Y" connection (from Home Depot) at the spigot that enables us to use a second hose when we need it and makes it easier to turn off/on than the small brass "Y" connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281b.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	183217  
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good idea. I'd especially recommend this for people who like to run at high pressures- it puts a lot of stress on rv plumbing. We have an adjustable regulator so I can keep it at 50 to 55 pounds all the time.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

We also turn off the water at the spigot when we leave the MH for more than 15 minutes. Was walking around the campground with the dog while in Columbia Falls, MT and noticed water rushing out of the neighbor's wet bay. Knocked on the door. No one home. Turned off the water and left a note on the door. Stopped by later in the day when the owners returned. They were sure relieved and grateful. All it takes is once.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Having also seen water coming out of a neighbor's 5th wheel when they were obviously gone for the day & needing to turn it off, we too don't leave the coach without shutting it off at the spigot. If we're at an electric only site or boondocking, we also turn off the pump when away for any period of time. Never can be too careful.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If we're at an electric only site or boondocking, we also turn off the pump when away for any period of time. Never can be too careful.
Yup. I know some folks who run their coaches off the fresh water tank and pump all the time, even when they have a hose connection available. They use the water pump switch or the "salesman switch" to shut off the 12V to the pump when they're out. The reasoning is that the water pump will let them know if the coach has developed a leak. That assumes you can hear it running, though!

The folks who operate this way carry a spare pump with them, usually. I'd probably carry a spare switch, too.

That mode of operation is certainly not for everyone, but I understand the reasoning.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 AM   #6

We turn our off if leaving for the entire day or overnight. We have a regulator with gauge and make sure our max pressure is only 55 going into the coach. We also place 3 or 4 of the water alarms in different places inside, like behind each toilet and under the sinks to alert us to any leaks.

I figure if a pipe or fitting fails it will be during the night and we certainly don't shut the water off every night.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I had this happen to me 8 years ago, sucks for sure. After that I bought an electric solenoid valve with a remote control that we just push the button when leaving and it shuts the water off. Nothing is as failsafe as actually turning the connection off but it has been reliable. It is a normally closed valve so if the electric goes out the water is automatically shut off.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #8

I have always turned the water off when away from our camper. We have had several. I shut the spigot off at night and use the fresh water tank and onboard pump. If I had a leak develop I have a good chance I would awaken to the running pump.
I only have one switch to turn the pump on and off. It is conveniently located within reach from the kitchen sink or you have to walk past the switch to get to the bathroom or shower.
I also shut the water heater off when away and at nighttime. It only takes a few minutes to rewarm the water and may prevent heater damage if water leaked out and you weren't there to notice it.
I'd rather be proactive than reactive.
Lynn
Old 11-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
We turn off the water to our coach (spigot or water pump) whenever we are away - even for a walk around the campground - to reduce the risk of flooding. We have heard this advice from friends who are long time campers and from fellow Newmar owners at a full-timers seminar at the NKK International Rally in Pueblo, CO.

We saw first hand today why that advice is important to follow. During a walk around the campground, we noticed water pouring out of the basement of a high-end fifth wheel. We turned off the water at the spigot and knocked on the door, but no one was home, so we do not know the cause or extent of the damage. We left a note on their door and notified the campground office.

We use a large "Y" connection (from Home Depot) at the spigot that enables us to use a second hose when we need it and makes it easier to turn off/on than the small brass "Y" connections.
As we travel often in the shoulder seasons and have been the victim of HIGH pressure water we usually just use the on board water - filling every few days as needed, added benefit of on board water the temp is higher and takes less energy to reheat it.

jmho,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would say its a good idea especially if you have children traveling with you.
We came back to water running out of the bottom of MH from the rear bath after gone for the day, it seems a child brushed his teeth and thought he shut off the faucet which he almost did except for a small trickle which kept running all day to fill the tub and overflow onto floor of bathroom.
Gray tank valve must have been closed ,another mistake, after morning showers so it didn't take long for the over flow of tub.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #11

It was about a year ago and new King Aire traveling with water pump on had a lot of electronic damage done by flooding while traveling. For sure don't travel with water pump on when going down the road.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

We also turn off the water when we leave the coach. We have been doing that ever since we purchased the coach. Last year, we came back to the campground to water running out of the bottom bays of a Class C. We turned off the water and knocked on the door but no one was there. We told him when he got back. What a mess!
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You don't have to spend a lot of time in campgrounds / RV parks, before your going to come across a RV with water pouring out of it. Pretty common occurence!
Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #14

Woodsogood thank you for attending our Fulltimers seminar in Pueblo last year. I am glad you found the information useful and that you shared it here. As one of our long time members says, there are two kinds of RV owners, those who have experienced a flood in their RV and those who will in the future

We are the ones who had a flooding situation during the middle of the night when our toilet valve stuck and the bowl overflowed. We always tune off our outside water when we leave for any period of time and every night. We run off the pump at night. If we have a leak we will hear the pump running.

Letmgrow you may want to reconsider turning off the water heater so often. We had to replace our water heater after only four years when it rusted from the outside. I cant prove it but I think it was caused by repeatedly heating then turning off the water heater allowing it to cool and allowed condensation to form in the space between the water heater and the styrofoam. It is a Suburban gas/electric model. Again I cant prove it was the cause but it does make sense.
Onegeorge1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water