Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #1

TV cable routing

I have a couple questions on my1999 Dutch Star. In the overhead compartment on the left side there is a 110 volt outlet for the TV set, there is an antenna booster for the winegard antenna, and there are two cover plates the same size as the 110 volt plug, one of these plates has a label that says "TV #2", the other has a label that says "cable TV", is this the cable going back to the rear TV and the input from the cable connection in the electrical bay at left rear of coach. They both have a male "F" type plug in the center. Thanks.
nutcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless I've missed something, the answer is YES. If you want a better amplifier for the antenna, and a visual strength meter for aiming it, take a look at this:

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-...ard+sensor+pro

This will help you aim your antenna and it has a gain booster for both antenna and park cable.

I installed mine on the door frame in front of the video box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp Install.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	160002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thru Glass.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	160003  

Old 04-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks RJOL, I replaced the original TV up front and am going to remove the Sat Dish on top, going to try the Direct TV on AT&T internet service. Not sure what to do about the rear TV yet, I wasn't going to replace it but looks like I may be forced to if I want to watch anything back there. It's the original 13 inch analog. So far I can't even get local (antenna) channels back there. think I will order the amplifier you suggested, looks like a great item. Again thanks.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a new 19" LCD in the bedroom. Made an insert to cover the cabinet where the old TV was and put it on a hing. The new TV is mounted on that cover and swings out so I can store stuff behind it. If you're interested, I can post some photos when I'm home.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #5

Would love to see photos of your install. are you happy with the size of the 19 inch LCD, we put a 24 in the front and it fits really nice but would be easier on these old eyes if it were bigger. we just need to get close to it.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #6

nutcker,

At home, DW and I are huge fans of the ROKU player, using our wi-fi router signal. Since we can hotspot to our iPads, I installed another ROKU in our coach.

The previous owner had installed a newer flat screen with an "interesting" folded sheet aluminum mount. After negotiating removal of the flat screen, I installed the ROKU box in the left-hand cabinet using one of two AC receptacles and routed an HDMI cable to the back of the flat screen.

We mostly watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and listen to Pandora.
clayfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TV cable routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcker View Post
.......are you happy with the size of the 19 inch LCD, we put a 24 in the front and it fits really nice but would be easier on these old eyes if it were bigger...........

Nut, we had the same problem with size on the front tv. Previous owner had installed a 23" wide flat that fit the original CRT box. We replaced that with a 38" wide we got from DD and SIL. I have to modify the overhead cabinet to accommodate, but that's not hard and I'll get it this summer. Meanwhile, the size is great!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfeet View Post
nutcker,..........The previous owner had installed a newer flat screen with an "interesting" folded sheet aluminum mount...............

Clayfeet..... could you describe this " folded sheet aluminum mount" a bit more? Or would you happen to have a pic?

Thanks!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfeet View Post
nutcker,

At home, DW and I are huge fans of the ROKU player, using our wi-fi router signal. Since we can hotspot to our iPads, I installed another ROKU in our coach.

The previous owner had installed a newer flat screen with an "interesting" folded sheet aluminum mount. After negotiating removal of the flat screen, I installed the ROKU box in the left-hand cabinet using one of two AC receptacles and routed an HDMI cable to the back of the flat screen.

We mostly watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and listen to Pandora.
I think I said 19" by mistake... It is bigger then that, but I'm not where I can measure it. Here are a couple of photos showing the install on the new door, the latch, and the area behind that is now available for storage...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New LCD TV.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	160102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Latch Closed.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	160103  

Name:	Door Latch2.jpg