RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #1

Hi all.............Stuff happens when you are on the road. I have a 2003 Dutch Star bought in Aug'02. The TV set over the dash was changed to a Sony flat screen in '03 models. There was a recall on the TV because it was falling out. I asked the dealer if the recall was done and he said "Yes"

Long story shorter...........Two dealers and the factory have donr fixes and yesterday the TV started sliding out. I took the frame off today and the two aluminum L brackets on the top corners of the TV cracked along the right angles. I now have the tv tied in with a "clothes line". Anyone have this issue?

I'm sure I have to take it back to a dealer or back to the factory again. But is there another fix??

Thanks in advance...and enjoy your adventures this summer..............Fritzo

Fritzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #2

Hi all.............Stuff happens when you are on the road. I have a 2003 Dutch Star bought in Aug'02. The TV set over the dash was changed to a Sony flat screen in '03 models. There was a recall on the TV because it was falling out. I asked the dealer if the recall was done and he said "Yes"

Long story shorter...........Two dealers and the factory have donr fixes and yesterday the TV started sliding out. I took the frame off today and the two aluminum L brackets on the top corners of the TV cracked along the right angles. I now have the tv tied in with a "clothes line". Anyone have this issue?

I'm sure I have to take it back to a dealer or back to the factory again. But is there another fix??

Thanks in advance...and enjoy your adventures this summer..............Fritzo

Fritzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of the TV's in my coachs were mounted on a mounting plate screwed into bottom of TV then this plate was screwed into floor of TV cabinet.
The surrounding frame was than mounted to the cabinet box. The bedroom TV had the same plate and held in by a wood brace at the top.
You or they should make up a metal mounting plate the size of cabinet floor and mount to bottom of TV drill two holes in front corners to screw into floor once TV is inserted in cabinet. Should work, has worked on 5 motor homes I have had.

By the way welcome to irv2 and to the Newmar forum. You can have your title changed to a member of the Newmar Forum by me, if you like.
Also you have a DS but do not see what chassis you have, you can place that info in your "signature profile block" on the second page of your profile and this info will follow your every post.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #4

I just experienced the "TV falling out" problem with my 2004 Kountry Star. One screw broke off, one vibrated out and the one in the top middle of the bracket was screwed into the vinyl ceiling material only. The set couldn't actually fall out (2 factory-installed wood brackets at bottom of set), but it could tip out. I fashioned a metal L-bracket for center top for support and installed new screws. Have been across the Top of the World Highway (gravel!) and several hundred frost-heaved miles of Alaskan highway, and the set is secure.

Good luck

Dale Crouse
crouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I'm new here, need help getting TV to fall out. Actually we are trying to take out the over the dash TV and can't get it out. There seem to be 4 screws at an angle holding the facia on but can't get to them. Any suggestions? We have a 2000 Dutchstar 34' Ford V10.
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Movin' on to the Newmar forum and irv2
Have you tried looking in side cabinets for screws into the facia, also the metal plate tv is screwed to has screws into floor of cabinet. You may need short handle screwdriver to get at some of the screws. The screws have the square hole sometimes phillips will not work.
Hope you stay for a while and not move on. Enjoy the forums and post often. If you are looking for some KARMA I can take care of that for you also.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:58 AM   #7

I hit a bump (okay, a bad bump) and the tv in my '00 KSDP leaped out of its frame and bounced off of my hand before rollind around on the floor. The feet on the bottom of the set broke off, leaving the screws and feet in the metal plate on the frame. I replaced it with a computer monitor because we never use a tv.

(The hand hurt for a few days but only the tv was broken.)
Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Must have been some bump Ken,you and wife could have had a worse situation.
Maybe everyone should check how their TV is set in the box to avoid this themselfs.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenSherwin:
I replaced it with a computer monitor because we never use a tv.

(The hand hurt for a few days but only the tv was broken.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could use the tuner in the VHS player in a pinch for TV reception (I know you don't use the TV but I mean the "Rhetorical" you)

You are probably ready for HDTV, as well, using a good flat panel monitor. And last but not least, some computer monitors now are 12 Volt powered.

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The new LCD I installed,in bedroom post up above, works on 12 volts to my surprise if I still had the kids traveling with me I would probably wire it to 12 volts like the good old days.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #11

Removed our TV and replaced it with a framed piece of stained (leaded)glass. The frame has a piano hinge so we can change the light behind the glass. Really nice nitelight.Looks cool and matches the stained glass in the front door. Flat screen sits on the dash while parked. One loose TV was enough for us. The one in the bedroom seems secure.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #12

On a trip last weekend, our front overhead TV was making a BAD cracking noise everytime we would hit a bump in the road. So took our 2003 DSDP 3802 to our Newmar dealer to check the TV. It is being replaced under warranty since our DS was delivered in 2004. The TV case was cracked.

2003 Newmar DSDP 3802
RVCPA is offline   Reply With Quote