Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

TV problems

Where do I begin. The TV mounted in the televator is not getting any signals from the antenna or satellite. The main DISH receiver has to be rebooted and turned on many times to stay on. We are in a campground with cable and getting nothing. The input options are satellite-we have a wooded site and it is mounted on the roof, so no signal coming through; , bluray,-the unit accepts the disc, but it does not start; antenna,(although the antenna never lists the stations in the area we are in. It still has the stations from Nappanee), and comp. I am assuming comp is for cable. What can I do to get some TV???
Thanks for your help!
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Hi Candygirl,

Do you receive a signal(i.e., can watch tv) over the air, I have a solution. On the wall behind and to the right of the copilots chair is an antenna booster. It has a small green led. If this is lighted, the incoming signal is boosted. For cable and satellite reception, this should be turned off. There is a button to do this on the switch plate. The booster is there when you are using over the air signals for reception.

If this doesn't fix the issue, you next have to look in the AV cabinet. Before going there, try the booster thing first.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

For all over the air channels, you will need to reprogram the channels each time you change locations.

It's the same for cable channels.

The input for both air and cable must be changed in your TVs settings. It isn't in the input selection.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

Did you do a "set-up" when you moved to the campground you are now in? You need to reset the available channels every time you move. The ones you see from Nappanee might not be working stations, now. Same for antenna/over the air & cable. Usually, the set-up is similar to this: Select menu, select set-up, select auto program. Give it a minute to scan for available channels.
One more thing. Do you have a "switch-over-box"? The box that you select, cable, antenna, aux? If so, set it on the source you are scanning. Our cable is labeled, "cable", not comp. That used to refer to audio, so, that's a bit puzzling.
Good luck.
schools out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

We have a 2016 DSDP 4369. Can not locate the antena booster. Any help?
bctravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bctravelers View Post

Bc travelers,

Look at my post #2 for the location of the booster. Your's should be there too.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
What brand tv is it? Mine are Visio and here are the steps to get both antenna, cable and DVD to work.
First find the button that selects between antenna and cable. My '06 Essex has it located in the cabinet above the passenger seat and is next to the controls to raise/lower and rotate the antenna. Set the button to whichever you want, i.e. In is antenna and out is cable.
Next, on the tv select the correct input. On mine the selections are basically tv, dvd or satellite. Whichever one is for antenna is also the one for cable, they share the same physical input on the tv. Then go to menu and look for something like 'channels'. Select that, next menu should have a place to tell the tv that you want to scan for channels as well as whether you want to scan for cable or antenna channels. Select the appropriate one and Hit the go button and wait for the tv to finish its scan and you should have tv. The tv has several physical signal inputs that you have to select depending on what you want to watch. Generally they are a coax input for the antenna/cable plus one or more HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) inputs for things like DVD players, satellite receivers and Blueray. The one that says comp is for composite video and is rarely used unless you have a vhs tape player or some other older device. It corresponds to an input that takes a video plug plus a left and right audio plug they will be color coded yellow (video) and red/white for left/right audio. Just hit Google for the operators manual for your particular brand/model of tv for instructions.
The only tricky part that won't be covered is the external switch that selects whether the antenna or the cable signal is sent to the RF coax input on the tv.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

Thanks HavingaBlast. I should have said, there is not a booster where you suggested. I have called Newmar they said it is by the passager' chair, not there either. Very confused.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Girl View Post
Where do I begin. The TV mounted in the televator is not getting any signals from the antenna or satellite. The main DISH receiver has to be rebooted and turned on many times to stay on. We are in a campground with cable and getting nothing. The input options are satellite-we have a wooded site and it is mounted on the roof, so no signal coming through; , bluray,-the unit accepts the disc, but it does not start; antenna,(although the antenna never lists the stations in the area we are in. It still has the stations from Nappanee), and comp. I am assuming comp is for cable. What can I do to get some TV???
Thanks for your help!
Candy Girl
Whenever you move your RV to a different area you probably will not receive any OTA, (over the air) TV stations on the TV... (unless/until you preform a channel search on the TV set).

BTW if you get a picture on the TV screen from an OTA TV station but no channel information displays on the TV screen you have a "TV set problem"... not an "antenna problem".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks HavingaBlast. I should have said, there is not a booster where you suggested. I have called Newmar they said it is by the passager' chair, not there either. Very confused.
BCTraveler, our antenna booster is in the cabinet above the driver's side. I have to stand on the cap's chair to see it, as it is on the wall toward the back. We have a Ventana, not a DS, but worth a look.
schools out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #11

Thank you all for your responses!!!

I have the blu ray working on all TVs. The satellite seems to be very touchy when it comes to location. It has to have a nearly perfect view of the sky. It is an In Motion satellite dish. Still not working on large TV. Still having issues with the main receiver. Not happy with the satellite at all. I have DISH.

Cable still not working on any TV.

I have found how to program for antenna.

It seems all setups are done through the TV. There are no boxes to touch to set the media we want. We had that in our 2000 Dutch Star.

Will keep plugging away!
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #12

This is the antenna booster plate that is on the wall beside the passenger seat, next to the floor. The tiny black button turns on the booster.

They come in black or white.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0642.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	134600

Tell me what TV you have and I'll walk you through the cable set up.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If you have the new Winegard Rayzar Automatic antenna, there is no booster seperate from the antenna control.

When the Antenna control is powered on, it is boosting. To turn off the booster, just power down the Antenna control.

The antenna control may be on the side wall near the passenger seat or in your upper control panel cabinet
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #14

Thanks PDR John. We have looked there no booster. Thanks Norm Mac. We do have the Winegard Automatic antenna. We know how to program the TV. This is our 9th RV. The problem is the picture sometimes is fuzzy and the next day you have to reprogram the TV because you have lost channel you had the day before. This happens on all 3 TVs. So thanks everyone we did not realize there was not a booster. So now we must have another problem.

Tags
ems, problems