Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 AM   #1

TV, Satellite, cable, OTA

I have Direct tv for satellite and it works as it should. Tried to use the Wineguard razor OTA for first time, powered it up, it searched, found 8 channels, set tv to Antenna, ran auto program and it could not find any channels, no picture or sound,this occurs on all TV's ? Tried to use CABLE for first time, turned off OTA, hooked up cable at elec compartment, set tv to cable, ran auto program, found 30+ channels, however all channels are very snowy and not clear, sound ok. this is on all tv's. What I have tried; changing to a cable I know is good and hooking up to a pedestal I know is good. Any help appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There must be some way to switch the signal to the TV from sat, to cable to OTA antenna. Is there some sort of box with buttons or switches in the compartment with all you A-V equipment?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Just thinking out loud over my first cup of coffee... Satellite System PROBABLY has a coaxial cable that runs direct from the dish to the satellite receiver and then via HDMI to the TVs. The Rayzar and cable are PROBABLY direct coaxial cable to the TVs using splitters... You MOST LIKELY have either (or both) a loose coaxial cable connection OR a bad splitter... And I'm thinking most likely a bad splitter because all the TVs are involved. Now you have to locate it... Might start with a 1-800-NEWMAR call to locate the splitters...
Old 03-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
On our 2016 DSDP 4018 the splitter is in the basement compartment on the passenger side. It's the one before the very last one. Lay on your back and look up.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
On the cable, and probably for the antenna also, you need to run the TV's program to find/program channels. There will be a way to get to settings on the TV. Looking at the TV's manual will probably be the quickest way.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
When viewing cable channels, make sure your OTA booster power switch is OFF. If you have the OTA amp turned on, it will cause snow on cable channels.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
If you have a cable butt connector replace the splitter with it and connect one tv to see if it clears up
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #8

Are you sure anything is wrong. Have you checked with other RV's how their picture quality on the cable is? On most cable setups that I have used at campgrounds the PQ is snowy. This is mainly due to it be SD instead of HD.

Also how close or far away are you to the TV towers? Are others getting more channels than you?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:21 AM   #9

Update; Yesterday after searching all over the coach for splitters (only one found so far is under kitchen sink where I will have to remove a panel to get to it to check), and verifying that all connectors were in place and tight, (they all appeared to be), I once again in desperation checked the cable and OTA for reception. Everything worked as it should, and on all TV's. I now suspect that one of the coax crimped ends may be the problem, however at this time I have no idea. If the problem is indeed a loose connection it is sure to show up again. I will then check every thing with a tv on next time to see if I can locate the problem. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:45 AM   #10

Can you run a bypass line to a TV and avoid all connections as a test directly from the cable signal?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
When viewing cable channels, make sure your OTA booster power switch is OFF. If you have the OTA amp turned on, it will cause snow on cable channels.
Jim is right about this. Not sure about location on a LA but in ours it's low on the wall behind the passenger seat, push button on a switch cover that looks like a 12V socket. You have to turn it on or off, depending on OTA or cable/DTV. If it's in the wrong position, you will not detect any channels on the TVs. Push the button and you're in business.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #12

I f you read this mornings post, you will see I have had some success with this issue. I do understand about turning off the OTA system to use cable, and during the testing process I hooked up cable to a pedestal I had verified as good, and with a cable I knew was good. If indeed it is a bad cable connection, it will just take a while to find. thanks

Tags
satellite