Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
UAV

Two Choices

Hey there...

I posted the same questions on the Entegra site and thought it might be nice to get the Newmar Owners perspective.

We have narrowed our choices: Wife likes the 2019 Newmar Dutchstar, I lean toward Entegra Anthem. But we like both a lot. And both are fine coaches.

Other than floorplan, and assuming you were in the same position, why did you choose the Entegra Coach over a Newmar? Better service? Quality of construction? Goodies?

This could get interesting...

Thanks for any input.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #2

One big difference: Comfort Drive on the Dutch Star
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally....I think Entegra, Tiffin and Newmar are all fine coaches. When I bought my first Newmar in 2014, my decision over the Entegra and Tiffin products was driven by the fact that I wanted a 40' coach with a tag axle.

Now that I've owned a Newmar, my decision to buy another is driven by Comfort Steer and the ability to personalize the coach, like color combinations, cabinet upgrades and a long list of options.

I like the paint better on Tiffin coaches and hate the front and rear caps on Entegras…..they look like a lot of plastic and cheap.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

I test drove both, and ended up buying a DS. I also liked the fact Newmar is still an independent vs
Thor now owns Jayco which owns
Entegra.
I see you have a 19’ Fleetwood Discovery, do you not like it?
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
I test drove both, and ended up buying a DS. I also liked the fact Newmar is still an independent vs
Thor now owns Jayco which owns
Entegra.
I see you have a 19’ Fleetwood Discovery, do you not like it?
I need to update that...we were supposed younger the FW but found out that when exposed to cold and the slides are out there is no protection for the water lines.

That was a deal breaker for us.

So far, most of what I am seeing is very personal choices that make one choose one coach over another.

Not seeing too much as far as the bones of each coach goes which is a nice thing.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Comfort Steer is a HUGE item when it comes to the mechanics of the coach. Many test drive a coach with Comfort Steer and don't see the advantage....and you won't. Comfort Steer is really not noticed until you get on the road and drive for several hours or hit heavy winds. You realize, after driving all day, that you're not exhausted from fighting wind or constantly steering the coach.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #7

At the Pomona RV show yesterday I was checking out a Anthem. Even though I’m partial to Newmar for multiple reasons, the Anthem is probably the best bang for your buck in the Entegra lineup.

If you’re willing to wait another year, the Anthem will get their version of comfort drive
Old 10-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #8

I have owned both, 4 Entegras and now a Newmar. The comfort drive does not drive better than the Entegra in my opinion, both drive and handle great. I bought the Newmar this time because it is the best small (34ft) on the market. There are trade offs for sure, some things are better on the Entegra and some better on the Newmar. Spend a lot of time studying the features of both, the floor plans and actually in and around both and find the one that best suits what you do and like. All JMHO
Old 10-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar is the choice. Take the Newmar tour (as many times as you need to). See how and why the coach is built the way it is. Being able to customize? Newmar is the choice. Service beyond the warranty. Newmar is the choice. Family owned and debt free. Newmar will be there during the next downturn (and there will be one). Will Entegra? Newmar is the choice. Livability is a personal choice.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Newmar all the way. We were really hi on Entegra requesting some simple changes. To the point of being rude we were told take it someplace else to make changes.
Since then in addition to the customization of which we ended up doing a lot of, Comfort Steer and dealer support and service have been outstanding.
lagawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #11
TDL

When I talk about Newmar vs anything else, it comes down to comfort drive, customization and the escape door. The first and last item represent significant safety features unsurpassed in the industry. Just my humble opine!

Tom
Old 10-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Hey there...

I posted the same questions on the Entegra site and thought it might be nice to get the Newmar Owners perspective.

We have narrowed our choices: Wife likes the 2019 Newmar Dutchstar, I lean toward Entegra Anthem. But we like both a lot. And both are fine coaches.

Other than floorplan, and assuming you were in the same position, why did you choose the Entegra Coach over a Newmar? Better service? Quality of construction? Goodies?

This could get interesting...

Thanks for any input.
All you have to do is tour both assembly plants. Choice will be very clear....
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitztrux View Post
All you have to do is tour both assembly plants. Choice will be very clear....
Interesting, I have heard the exact same thing from Entegra Owners.
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #14

I like both.. I'm still in the decision making phase myself..

I took both tours.. I liked what I saw from both tours... I'd probably be happy with either coach.. both give excellent customer service..

The one thing that stuck out to me, and makes me lean towards Entegra, is the insulation.. I noticed Entegra insulates the entire wall (I especially like the Reflectix) - I was disappointed by the fact the insulation only went up about 1/2 on the Dutchstar.

I think from a sound/heat/cold standpoint.. that will/can make a difference !!

However, at the end of the day.. it will come down to floorplan/styling/options/chassis. Once I factor all those to make the best possible decision, I'll let the GF tell me which one we're buying !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote