Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Type of ECM diagnostic plug.

I want to buy the Silverleaf VMspc for my 2001 Dutchstar 3852 on a Spartan chassis but I am 7,000 miles away from my rig right now. Does anyone know if it has the 6 or 9 pin diagnostic plug under the dash.

Jim
Jimwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #2

Your motorhome has a 9 pin plug. (Only 4 of the pins are used by the VMSpc.)
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a picture of mine.... It is the 9-pin. You can see the 4 used pins that Norm mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0306001403.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	9583  
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I assume if i order it from Rvupgrades it will have the USB interface and not the serial to USB adapter.

Jim
Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimwo View Post
I assume if i order it from Rvupgrades it will have the USB interface and not the serial to USB adapter.Jim
Probably true since that is the newer version of VmsPC. I bought the older version with the serial interface since I could save about $200 by getting one of the older, trade-ins, from SilverLeaf. I already had a serial to USB converter so it worked out for me.

I use a netbook PC that I set on the dash in front of me, giving me something like a 10" "headsup" display. I love it... feel lost if I dont have it hooked up.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
What is VMspc?
rcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcatter View Post
What is VMspc?
"VMSpc is an intelligent data translator that links your serial port to the engine diagnostic connector on your rig"

VmsPc is the version of the engine/transmission monitor that is used in conjunction with a PC. SilverLeaf has other models that have their own display module, but the PC version is the most economical.

As I said above, I have mine displayed on a netbook PC that I place on my dash.

Take a look at their website for a complete explaination.

VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VmsPc-1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	9603  
Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #8

Ron,

Does the netbook just sit in there or do you have a platform? I am new to iRV2 and was wondering if it would be possible to start a file section so people can upload and share VMspc screen files.

Jim
Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimwo View Post
Ron,

Does the netbook just sit in there or do you have a platform? I am new to iRV2 and was wondering if it would be possible to start a file section so people can upload and share VMspc screen files.

Jim
The photo shows it sitting in the opening to the dash fuse box. Since then I have moved it forward against the windshield. The dash in that area slopes down from the dash level in front of the driver so the screen on the netbook is well below driver eye level, but still easily viewable without taking one's eyes of the road. No platform was needed, however it does sit on the defroster outlet. I guess if that became a problem I would have to construct a slight riser platform to place it on.

There is an additional benefit or it sitting in that location, and centered in the driver side windshield... if I keep the width of the screen between the center line of the highway and the line on the right side of the lane, the coach is centered in my lane, and I dont have to keep checking the rearview mirrors to see if I am between the lines (centered). I have been in construction zones with concrete barriers on either side, without much side room, and had to keep taking my eyes off "front" to check the side view mirrors... NOT good when it's a winding construction zone.

It might be good to have screen files saved here somewhere, since the are so many variations that can be configured, and it can take quite a bit of manipulation to get a screen that is informative and pleasing to the eye.

I stole one from Norm4015's website as a basic layout and then modified it to suit my interest.

The SilverLeaf site has some, but not many.

007 would be a good one to address this suggestion. He is the "librarian" here.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I could add this link VMSpc Silverleaf Electronics in Quick Tips & Mods for reference. I would add this thread also.
There are many links within the Silverleaf link to separate.
Are these connectors on just Newmars?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #11

The connectors are on all makes of DP's as far as I know. The Silverleaf VMspc works on all DP's with the connectors. An area in the files section of iRv2 would be a great way for people to share custom screen setups. The files are very small in size.

Jim
Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club

You mean to tell me that YOU DON'T that a SilverLeaf ??? You had better get one STAT!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Which jib do I need for a 2003 Dutch Star with a 350 cummins?

Thanks
rcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcatter View Post
Which jib do I need for a 2003 Dutch Star with a 350 cummins?
I can't tell you, maybe some that has the same model coach can. You will have to check your data port to see which connector you have. Grey or black, and how many connectors the connection has, six or nine.

SilverLeaf will ask you so you should locate the connector... should be under the dash.