Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #99

Mid Atlantic Campers
Running 60-62 I think is more of a herd mentality. Comfortable for most? Yes but not for all. My number is 67 just because the TV is happy there. Best option is to stay with the traffic flow. On the east coast you are lucky to maintain 60-65 with all the traffic. Out west in big sky territory different story. Enjoy the ride and don't become a road hazard yourself.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The interstate speed limits seem to be raising in spots...has that affected anyone's cruising speed?

I find myself at speed limit or 5 less. Typically one notch above most of the truckers. The exception is mountain pass downhills in the middle of the night...I think my night vision is getting worse because the speeds have gone way down in the last few years.

Each vehicle has it's happy zone of speed. Most of the time I am in that zone.

Who are all these folks that say they go 60-62? On interstates? We must never travel the same days because I hardly ever see anyone going that slow. Stay with the rest of traffic...that's the safest speed. And in the right lane...
I do 62-64 on cruise all the time with traffic and weather permitting..no police worries..no deadlines..good mpg...a hot cup of joe..my humming duramax and I'm good to go!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #101

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Sometimes slower is not safer when you become a hazard to others.
How many times have we all been doing our comfortable 62-65 on a freeway or highway and suddenly we end up with someone doing 40 in front of us or pulling out in front of us?

We find that our only option is to hit the brakes harder than we'd like because we can't get around to pass.

I find slow drivers on the freeway incredibly dangerous.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post
How many times have we all been doing our comfortable 62-65 on a freeway or highway and suddenly we end up with someone doing 40 in front of us or pulling out in front of us?

We find that our only option is to hit the brakes harder than we'd like because we can't get around to pass.

Can't argue that one!

Old 12-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post

I know someone like that. He will anchor in the left lane at EXACTLY the speed limit, and would not move to the right for anything. That’s my right he says? [emoji23]🤣[emoji23]
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
I know someone like that. He will anchor in the left lane at EXACTLY the speed limit, and would not move to the right for anything. That’s my right he says? [emoji23]🤣[emoji23]
Wrong, left lane in many states cannot impede traffic even at max speed limit. Purpose is to stop road rage. Well at least that's the theory.[emoji12]
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #105

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
I have a friend like that too Just can't convince him to use left lane for passing only! We have these huge signs by the highway saying to "Keep Right Except To Pass" Also signs telling you to let faster traffic pass on your left. He just doesn't get it!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:02 AM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
As I remember, in Germany they used to give you a ticket if you drive in the left lane on the Autobahn. It was to be used for PASSING ONLY.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
I enjoyed reading this thread. I appreciate all the comments regarding driving speeds of 62-64 - that seems to be the speed I find works the best for me.

I just drove our coach to an RV resort about 10 miles south of the North Carolina border - right down 95. No problems doing so - and yes there were a few cars merging on doing 40! I had no problem moving over to left lane and then quickly moving back to right lane.

I arrived safely after a seven hour drive - relaxed even though there was lots of traffic. I saw a few motorhomes “fly” by doing 70+ and at the next rest stop, I pulled in a couple minutes behind them. They had been weaving from lane to lane passing all of us “menaces” on the road driving 62-64.

I parked our coach until January 1 - don’t have to worry now about getting it covered with salt and brine!

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and the best of the New Year!
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #108

I was not offended by the remarks regarding the "dangerous slowpokes". I took it to mean that the dangerous ones are the SLOW-slow slowpokes, as in 40 mph. Yeah, if I'm going 66, and come up on a 40 mph, I drive up close to his rear bumper and I lean on the air horns. Just kidding, just kidding.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #109

Quote:
As I remember, in Germany they used to give you a ticket if you drive in the left lane on the Autobahn. It was to be used for PASSING ONLY.
If the current laws were enforced here (stay in the right lane, except for passing), I believe the roads would be safer for all, transportation would be more efficient, there would be less road taxes required as a result of the efficiency gained.

Now, we also have to pave the right lane a little more frequently than the left, at least in Michigan, because I find myself traveling in the left lane too often because the right lane is so pummeled due to the increase in use.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #110

Quote:
I know someone like that. He will anchor in the left lane at EXACTLY the speed limit, and would not move to the right for anything. That’s my right he says? [emoji23]��[emoji23]
I've known several folks like that also..."They are dangerous people who truly need to get some psychological help"! Driving in the Fast Lane with that attitude I'm sure is only the tip of the iceberg!

Old 12-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #111

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I find myself traveling in the left lane too often because the right lane is so pummeled due to the increase in use.
Great point.

Sometimes the right lane is so rough it's likely doing damage to our rigs. At the very least, it's an uncomfortable ride.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #112

We were in New Mexico for the month of November. They (NMDOT) "spot maintained" the roadway (probably between major maintenance cycles). Just filling in the coach rattling damaged roadway. The more traveled right lane drove just a smooth as the other lanes. It was very refreshing to see...and experience. Kudos to them!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel