Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2007, 05:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi:

I am contemplating the Ultra-Power CAI, ECM, and ignition wires "enhancement". I was wondering, I hear a lot of people have issues with the induction noise from the CAI. Does anyone have experience with the CAI on a Scottsdale? (2003 Workhorse 22)

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi:

I am contemplating the Ultra-Power CAI, ECM, and ignition wires "enhancement". I was wondering, I hear a lot of people have issues with the induction noise from the CAI. Does anyone have experience with the CAI on a Scottsdale? (2003 Workhorse 22)

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
Old 06-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Yes, the CAI is loud when the rpms are between 3 and 4 grand. But, as the ECM learns your driving habits you will not be dropping into 3rd (for a 5 spd) or 4th (for a 6 spd).

I added a ram air scoop to my DIY CAI and it silenced the 3rd gear noise to almost nothing. I am sure the connecting tube between the CAI and the scoop makes the difference. Not all rigs have room for the tube and scoop.

I have made a proto type for the current Brazels CAI.I will check the space need for the connector and tube and update this post.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased the ECM, CAI and wires several months ago at Centralia. We left the second week of may for Toppenish, then to Lewiston, Cour d'Alene ID, Hamilton Mt then to West Yellowstone where we are tonight. It's a very mountainous drive at times. I'm about 1/4 deaf and it tears my ears and the wife -----------. The performance is great but the cat and DW are freaking out. Pulling a toad on a W-24 and taking the back highways from Hamilton MT to Yellowstone, I was in 2nd gear and 3rd many times at 3500 to 4000 on some of the grades. One was because you have to start the grade from a stop and it's very hard to get momentum. This is from Virginia City MT to Yellowstone. The noise was deafening. Another issue was our grey and black takes were full and had about 1/2 tank of fresh. We were dry camping a week and had no dump station available.

OEMTECH - is your scoop between tne box and the grill? I have also added the Workhorse cooling scoops and hoses and may make it pretty tight in there.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Oemtec: Have you heard from Brazels about the possible effect of the scoop and tube on the performance of the "standard" CAI installation?

Also, how did you attach the tube to the CAI, what size is the tube, and where did you get the tube and the scoop?

I'd be interested in making the same modification since the wife is not real impressed with the noise in the 3-4K rpm range (me either, for that matter).

Thanks for the idea. Isn't this forum full of the most intersting stuff? Love it!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by park_ridge_dave:
Hi:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave;

I have the CAI installed on my 03 W22. It is noisier than before but tolerable. When we returned from CA this past March we went to Flagstaff from Phoenix and the noise definitely is a lot louder above 3500 RPM. That being said neither my wife or I are unhappy with the CAI nor are we contemplating removing it.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
rlbow43/KayLarGo

Measuring the effect of the ram air scoop is difficult and probably not cost justifiable. Trying to gage 60+ mph air into the scoop with the rig tied to a chassis dyno is not what I would call fun.

The parts needed are:
1) 6" start collar
2) 6" expandable aluminum tube
3) 90 degre floor register.
Note - You must crimp the round portion of the elbow so the tube fits over it.
4) Some sort of grill material
5) Parts source - Lowes - Home Depot

To add the ram air scoop to the current Brazels CAI you need an adapter to mount the start collar and you need to cut the current CAI so that the 6" hole in the CAI matches the adapter hole. You also need about 6" or 8" in front the of the CAI to attach the connection tube.

Here is a link to the CAI V2 Build
Old 06-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Park Ridge Dave, I have the Brazels CAI and next time the coach is in P.R. I'll take you out for a ride and let you be the judge. It may be a little louder than stock, but nothing to be worried about. Our CAI was louder before the latest upgrade from Brazel's, now it is pretty quiet! I am storing my coach in Union for the summer when not in use.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob what was it that Brazels added to your CAI that cut down the noise? Have installed CAI just have noise at higher rev's but very little noise at 2200 RPM were it is most of the time in cruise.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Bob what was it that Brazels added to your CAI that cut down the noise? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be able to make the trip to Union Bob, As I would like to do some soaring at the glider port. Maybe I could get some "pics"?

Also, to all who have posted to my original question, THANK YOU !!!! That's what is sooooooo great about this forum. "News you can use" not just "rants". I have been real happy with the tips and help that I have received here. I can't thank you all enough.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Bob what was it that Brazels added to your CAI that cut down the noise? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Double OH!, The v2.0 CAI enclosure attenuated much of the sound that I previously experienced with the open faced model which I originally installed.

The v2.0 CAI that I am now using has a rectangular opening which is slightly offset from center. The box being more rigid removes the tendency for the enclosure to introduce noise as experienced in the previous shape. You could almost compare it to a bell since it was wide open. Adding rigidity to the face has removed most of the noise caused by the enclosure.

Now for all those folks that have an issue with the sound that is produced as the air is ingested by the CAI I'm guessing that you are looking for a way to quiet that down.

We're used to it and expect it at this point because performance and quiet are almost at opposite ends of the expectation scale.

Once I have achieved cruise, the CAI is as quiet as the stock unit and I know that it's filtering better and passing more air since the the system is optimally designed to pass more air.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
rlbow43/KayLarGo

Here is a link to the CAI V2 Build </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dale, I think after my success with the US gear, and the base plate install that I will give the DIY CAI a Try. Your install looks great!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Dale ----If I were at home I would do what you did. We are now in Custer SD heading for Lincoln Neb and points E until the rally at Branson July 15. We have taken mostly back roads and many mountain passes along the way. If your mod really works it would be a God send. On the open road it's wonderful. I hope from here on E it will get flatter and the noise will be less freguent.

Again thanks for the link and advise. I would go for the prefab offer as I think that would expedite things. Maybe in branson if they have an Ace Hardware.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
DriVer I too have the new box and as you say the sound is normal when at 2200 RPM just louder at higher RPM's as would be expected.
Wife hears more of it than I, I'm deaf on that side.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote