Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve and Jack both make good points. While this is a blending of the auto and home industry, which are by nature very different, I agree that things found on the first trip or first 5 days of living in the coach probably should have been caught during assembly or certainly before delivery to the owner. I agree things change after driving many miles, earthquake after earthquake and those issues really become more of a robust design issue than assembly issue.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon129 View Post
How can you relate building a Home to the auto industry? How many of the quirks we have to deal with are automotive?
How many people do you no of that have had a home built for themselves? (Guilty) Any problems after moving in? Where does the list begin? Now take that same Home and run it through earth quake after earth quake. Things work loose, things fail.
Now take a look at the components the Mfg. buys for the Home, from A/C units, Furnaces, Appliances ect. If there is any component failure we have a tendency to blame the Mfg. of the RV.
Yes bring on more competition, I want top notch quality as well, but this is a Home, most issues are home related and very few problems are the same.
There is absolutely no excuse for the poor quality and workmanship in the RV industry. Forget the automotive industry for a moment and compare it to ANY manufacturing industry. There should be quality practices in place that prevent RV's from being delivered with multiple serious quality issues such was faulty plumbing, AC, etc. Add another $250 to the price for heavens sake and invest in real quality control and inspection!
Old 04-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
There is absolutely no excuse for the poor quality and workmanship in the RV industry. Forget the automotive industry for a moment and compare it to ANY manufacturing industry. There should be quality practices in place that prevent RV's from being delivered with multiple serious quality issues such was faulty plumbing, AC, etc. Add another $250 to the price for heavens sake and invest in real quality control and inspection!
A valid point as all mentioned. Most builders demonstrate proudly an inspection redundancy factor to all posts and phases in the build. Which I truly believe. But, I humbly submit, one thing that ruins all of that is the human factor. Meaning the one person in the chain who might not if even for a moment...care. Eventually they are found out and most likely terminated or disciplined. But how many units got by the worker/inspector before it was found out? You get my drift. One who is conscientious and focused on pride in work goes a long way. I'm sure most are as such, but I have witnessed bad eggs myself. The RV industry I believe is not exempt from it. To be fair, you have to allow a small percentage for just plain honest mistakes, to that no one is exempt. The human factor again.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #60

Well said Electra! we have visited Nappanee and took the Newmar tour, we was told and during our tour, EACH Motor home has over 1000 quality inspections during the build process. The human factor does come into play. However I have been following a few rooms here on IRV2. Fleetwood, Entegra, Thor, and Tiffin have many more complaints from what I have read over the past year.
Do I sound pro Newmar? I hope so, we bought what I thought was a good deal on a 2014 Anthem From a dollar stand point, yes a very fair deal, from a quality of home and drive stand point, He!! no! After I drove a Newmar at FMCA in WI last summer, I discovered what a quality drive feels like in windy conditions.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon129 View Post
How can you relate building a Home to the auto industry? How many of the quirks we have to deal with are automotive?
How many people do you no of that have had a home built for themselves? (Guilty) Any problems after moving in? Where does the list begin? Now take that same Home and run it through earth quake after earth quake. Things work loose, things fail.
Now take a look at the components the Mfg. buys for the Home, from A/C units, Furnaces, Appliances ect. If there is any component failure we have a tendency to blame the Mfg. of the RV.
Yes bring on more competition, I want top notch quality as well, but this is a Home, most issues are home related and very few problems are the same.
Very good points. There is a difference.

However some of it is like when you have your house build by a tradesman vs a craftsman.

You may find a thing or two in a house built by a craftsman but you will expect to find many things in a tradesman built house. You will also find a substantial difference in cost.

If you measure the quality by cost some of the coaches should not have many issues when they leave the factory.

Down the road there may be things that surface but the coach manufacturer has spent many years developing a craft that should be aware of the road issues and mitigate those issues during manufacture.

You know the stupid definition: "Repeating the same mistake hoping for a different outcome."
Closed Thread