RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I wanted to add that I used the 110 VAC option to drive my controller. I placed the power brick and controller in the first bay on the DS. It is plugged into the outlet for the Dometic Freezer. I chose this option for a couple of reasons.

1. Clean install in a secure location
2. I like to leave the 12VDC systems alone to minimize messing with systems that may mess with the coach.
3. To have it on a GFI circuit should something get wet or a wire gets cut or going to ground. DC to me can really heat up a circuit if it shorts.

On another note the idea of tying into a small gauge wire (like the step light) carrying the load of approximately 48 feet of LEDS plus 70 feet of 4 conductor lead wire is asking for a lot of heat. The Boogey system with 48 linear feet of lights and the wire is getting close to a 9 amp draw.

Iím just an old chicken I guess.

John

Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #30

Looks great! On my list of things to do

Old 01-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For my DIY 12vDC direct wiring installation of full surround LED Under Glow lighting, I started with developing a "wiring plan" that would allow me to minimize the separate and individual LED wiring run lengths and provide the least amount of current drop.

As shown, the use of pole terminals and common chassis grounding is one way to do that and will produce an installation that is safe, reliable and efficient. I should also mention that I used 16 AWG wire for the main power leads between the pole terminals and primary junction box located mid-ship of the coach.

Clicking on the image below will enlarge it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BOOGEY LIGHTS WIRING DIAG.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	189926

More information and detail on my installation can be viewed here in the forum at DIY Installation of Ground Effects LED Lighting
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
For my DIY 12vDC direct wiring installation of full surround LED Under Glow lighting, I started with developing a "wiring plan" that would allow me to minimize the separate and individual LED wiring run lengths and provide the least amount of current drop.

As shown, the use of pole terminals and common chassis grounding is one way to do that and will produce an installation that is safe, reliable and efficient. I should also mention that I used 16 AWG wire for the main power leads between the pole terminals and primary junction box located mid-ship of the coach.

Attachment 189926

More information and detail on my installation can be viewed here in the forum at DIY Installation of Ground Effects LED Lighting
Rick, your plan and posts show that you are much smarter than the average bear! Your work is amazing.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post

Attachment 189926

Rick,

I want to add I was not having any issue with what you planned or executed. It was more in response to the poster that was tying his system into the purple wire under the stairs. That seemed like too small a gauge wire for me.

On another note I have been dithering on installing the lights across the back. Are there any specific pictures of your post that are of the rear install? Did you use the same method as you did in the front? I'm working on the ground in AZ and since we are FT'ing it I don't have all my old tools.☹️☹️☹️

John
Old 01-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Rick,
Are there any specific pictures of your post that are of the rear install? Did you use the same method as you did in the front? John
John, the answer is yes, quite a bit more detail and photos can be located in the IRV2 Forums / RVForums / RV Systems & Tech / Gear Discussions and as per the link below. One of the Moderators suggested I post the info on my DIY Installation there as more befitting location;

DIY Installation of Ground Effects LED Lighting

As you will see for the rear of my coach did as follows:

1) measured, cut and used a section of 1"w x 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock (from Home Deport or Lowes)

2) mounted the LED aluminum channel extrusion to the bar stock (not necessarily required as one can adhere the LED lighting strip directly to the bar stock if desired).

3) Identified areas inside of and along the horizontal length of the rear fascia/bumper panel where I wanted to suspend the LED lights from, then used 5/16's" US course thread all-thread cut to desired length to which I drilled into and attached to various sheet metal panels that exist at the rear and below the engine compartment. Using the all-thread rod allowed me to adjust the height and level of the aluminum bar such that is both secure and level across the rear of the coach. The all-thread also allowed me to randomly pick locations across the width of the rear to attach and suspend the the aluminum bar from. Then it was just a matter of drilling the holes in the aluminum bar to match up with the pre-determined locations of the all-thread which are again randomly spaced across the back/rear of the coach.

4) Final step was to install the self-adhesive backed LED lighting strip into the channel, run my wiring leads out and away from it and install the lighting diffuser panel (also optional). Note: when doing in the manner described its important to place the LED lighting on one side of the 1" aluminum bar stock (and not center it) such that there will be space left to drill the holes and mount the bar using the all-thread bolts.

Note; I positioned by rear fascia/bumper section of the LED lighting at approx. the same height as the top of my rock guard and approx. 4 inches behind it both well inside of the rear fascia wherein it is not otherwise visible from outside the coach.

Should you have any further questions or need more clarification don't hesitate to contact me. I posted my installation solely for the purpose of sharing it with others whom may be contemplating a similar DIY installation themselves.

Here are a few more photos of the rear (rock guard area) that I may not have posted in my original series of threads;

Denotes position of horizontal aluminum flat bar mounted using all-thread from LR to RR corners of the rear fascia/bumper area just ahead of rock guard.

Name:	IMG_4369.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	190579
Another view of the all-thread used to mount the aluminum bar to various sheet metal locations at the rear of the coach. As I recall, I used 4 separate pieces of all-thread to secure the aluminum bar across the rear of the coach.

Name:	IMG_4370.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	190580

Tools needed/used for the section of LED lighten installation were limited to only a drill & 1/4" bit, 2 9/16's" open/box end wrenches and a phillips head screwdriver (optional, for use with mounting alum. channel to alum. flat bar).
Old 01-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Glad that helped.

Some additional notes:

1) For mounting the 1" aluminum bar, I made reference to using a drill & 1/4" bit; it was actually a 5/16"s bit.

2) I ran the wires from the section of LED lighting into my chassis battery compartment (RR) where I bridge connected them with the LR & RR sections that are mounted after the tag axle using a marine grade post terminal block.

3) commonly grounded the 3-LED lighting sections via the post terminal block to the chassis inside of the battery compartment

4) ran 1 single 14-AWG power (Pos +) wire forward to midship of the coach where I connected it to another pole connector inside of a junction box that host the Pos + wires from other sections of the LED lighting as well as the RF LED controller

5) installed a master on/off power switch in the junction box

6) ran 1 single 14-AWG power (Pos +) to my electrical bay and connected it to a spare fuse terminal on the 12v DC fuse panel using a 20A fuse for all.

Now when I want to use the lights its a matter of turning on the master power switch at the junction box (located inside my passenger side basement compartment just ahead of the wet tank basement) and using the RF remote control to operate the lights (i.e. on/off, dimming, twilight modes, etc.).
Old 01-31-2018, 03:08 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
After reading through this thread I am left with one question: Why?
Are these lights for Security? Safety? Decoration? Something else?

Just curious
Speckled Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #38
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckled Hen View Post

Just curious
This is one of those: "If you have to ask why then it's not for you"

NealC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #39

lights

My plan is to use the lights to help deter rodents. Mice tend to shy away from well lit areas.
Hope it looks great also.

Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Just curious
FYI & FWIW,

Newmar actually offers the full coach body surround LED lighting as an optional accessory on its Luxury coach lineup and I believe it's standard on the King Aires. Deciding that I wanted them on my new Essex, I obtained quotes for a post-production installation from both the Newmar Service Center (in Nappanee) as well as from my Newmar retail dealer before deciding to do the lighting installation myself. I would imagine that Newmar is now offering it as a factory option on the New Aire as well.

As to their (or my) intended purpose, we'll I want to respond by saying "everything you said", but for me it was a combination of the increased safety benefit by having additional lighting around the perimeter of the coach at night (such as when I'm working in the wet bay, hooking up/unhooking from shore utilities, or dealing with my towing gear) and for increased lighting in early evenings when entertaining outside the coach.

As stated in my post (above) on my DIY installation of the LEDs, they will be used with discretion as well as respect for our fellow neighbors. In other words, we won't be using them all the time and certainly don't plan to leave them on all night long.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #41
Newmar Luxury Owner

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Just curious
Welcome to the forum,

It is just for cool looks, and it would be a great effect on your on order New Aire.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #42
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lights on awning area are for actual visibility at night. Under glow is just for looks.

NealC is online now   Reply With Quote