Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Understanding the 3 zones on the A/C’s

I thought I knew about the a/c's but I guess I don't. My bedroom a/c isn't working again. Going to replace when I get home next month. I was running the other 2. The front one had reached the set temp and the 2nd kept running. The only air that was coming out was in the bathroom vent. I thought the 2nd would have air coming out in the kitchen area. The only time the kitchen area blows is when the front one is on. Is this the way it's supposed to work? The 2nd one seems to run alot more than the front one does. Is there something wrong with the sensor that I don't know about or is the 2nd one on its way out also?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
I thought I knew about the a/c's but I guess I don't. My bedroom a/c isn't working again. Going to replace when I get home next month. I was running the other 2. The front one had reached the set temp and the 2nd kept running. The only air that was coming out was in the bathroom vent. I thought the 2nd would have air coming out in the kitchen area. The only time the kitchen area blows is when the front one is on. Is this the way it's supposed to work? The 2nd one seems to run alot more than the front one does. Is there something wrong with the sensor that I don't know about or is the 2nd one on its way out also?

I'll assume your MADP is nearly the same as my Essex ... 3 rooftop A/C units and (in my case) HydroHot. My thermostat shows 4 zones. 3 zones are for Air/Heatpump and 1 zone is for HydroHot. My zones are designated 1,2, and 4 for the rooftop units (yours may be different but the operation is the same). Zone 3 is HydroHot.
If I turn on zone 1, I can hear the front A/C and feel cool air progressively from front, mid (kitchen), hall bath, and finally the bedroom. Zone 2 (alone) is strongest in kitchen and hall but quite noticeable in front and bedroom. Zone 4 is forceful in bedroom and progressively less in hall, kitchen, and finally the front. In other words, I get cool air in all rooms from any of the 3 A/C units. And, as expected, the most forceful is directly under the unit being used. Since the ductwork is interconnected front to rear, any A/C unit should reach any room.

In your example, with only the mid unit running, you should feel cool air all the way from the front to the bedroom with the most cool air in the kitchen and hall.
I am currently in Florida and it is 82 degrees outside. I am running the front A/C (1 unit) and it is 76/74/74/73 at the four sensors (front to rear). Sun is on the front. I have 3 - Dometic 15K Brisk II heatpumps and a CCC2 thermostat. Everything is about 3 years old.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I did not know the duct work was connected as you describe. That would explain what I was getting out of the ducts. Now if there is a way to determine why the 2nd or middle unit stays on so much longer than the other 2. Is the sensor that's across from my refrigerator malfunctioning, assuming that is the one that sends a signal to the thermostat. I have a thermometer by this sensor to monitor and it is always cooler than what the sensor is reading.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #4

Quote:
I did not know the duct work was connected as you describe. That would explain what I was getting out of the ducts. Now if there is a way to determine why the 2nd or middle unit stays on so much longer than the other 2. Is the sensor that's across from my refrigerator malfunctioning, assuming that is the one that sends a signal to the thermostat. I have a thermometer by this sensor to monitor and it is always cooler than what the sensor is reading.

You could try varying the set point on that unit and note whether the A/C comes on and off at some point and compare that with your thermometer. My sensor for the mid unit is opposite the reefer and is on a corner where the wall meets the slide .... this position is typically hotter than the room .... I think there is less insulation at this corner.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
My front sensor is next to the wall and passenger window. The center one is in the middle of the coach. It's behind the TV. The TV isn't putting out enough heat to affect it according to the thermometer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_065812.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	235322
Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
My front sensor is next to the wall and passenger window. The center one is in the middle of the coach. It's behind the TV. The TV isn't putting out enough heat to affect it according to the thermometer.
Attachment 235322

Easy to do a quick test ... hold or hang a ziplock bag of ice on the sensor .... should shut down the unit quickly. There is a method to test the sensor with an ohmmeter.

Everything you need to know:
https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...1DometicAC.pdf

Here is a doc showing the ductwork (near end of doc):
https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...s/SS2011AC.pdf
Old 02-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Bruce.