RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Universal Toll Module - Newmar customer satisfaction survey

As I plan my order this thing popped up and I like the idea as long as it works and is, or the most, part trouble free.

So Im looking for anecdotal evidence of satisfaction or dissatisfaction, and reasons for both, and also any comments on the learning curve, ease of set-up, account maintenance, over-charges, missed charges, etc. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #2

You'll not find a "universal" module since the East coast uses EZPASS and Tx uses a different system and has millions of customers.
I purchased one in FL that is compatible with 18 states but not TX. https://epass.cfxway.com/EpassWeb/ It was reasonable and you precharge the system with some money to cover tolls. So you may have to buy 2 if you plan to travel west.

An explanation https://www.wired.com/story/national-tolling-system/

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The question concerns this item on the Newmar options list specifically:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7871466E-AA18-4E13-ADBC-F83BA9C67803.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	268192  
Old 11-28-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I donít know what that option actually is, but I got my toll system for free from the state toll collection agency. Donít see any reason to pay hundreds of dollars for one when you can get it free for the asking.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We thought about this when ordering our coach. The way it was described is a system that will work with multiple toll systems making it like a universal system. In addition to the fee to have it installed, there were also fees to use it. We primarily travel in the east so we will stick with EZPass and use it for free.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
As was mentioned by Rick and others, no one system works across the country. Newmar needs to provide more information as to where it works. The toll systems take years to comply. I would pass on it. EZpass-Xtra for the east coast.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #7

Universal Toll Module - Newmar customer satisfaction survey

This is the system that they are selling. It look like it works in all the states. I order it on my MA so we will see if it works as advertised

https://rvtollpass.com/

These are the locations it works in

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+Toll+Pass.pdf
Old 11-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
The question concerns this item on the Newmar options list specifically:
My question is, WHY would one spend $273 for an item that can be secured at basically no cost through the EZ Pass! There is a "stick -on" transponder, & can be relaoded by your phone.
Certainly not a worthwhile option, in my opinion!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
My question is, WHY would one spend $273 for an item that can be secured at basically no cost through the EZ Pass!

And don't forget the $14.99 monthly fee the RV Toll Pass charges (which EZ-Pass and the TX tolling authorities do not).
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
My question is, WHY would one spend $273 for an item that can be secured at basically no cost through the EZ Pass! There is a "stick -on" transponder, & can be relaoded by your phone.
Thats my question too JJ, which is why I posted it here. If the benefits outweigh the costs for my purposes then its worth it. If not, then it wont find its way onboard my coach.

My experience with tolls has been almost entirely in the cash lane, with the exception of a borrowed vehicle with ez-pass which was convenient, and a rental car that cost me three bucks for every .50 toll so I turned the thing off.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #11

More toll roads are going transponder only, no cash. I had to drive through Houston this summer because there were no "Cash" toll roads. I did drive on one toll road that did license lookup to pay the toll and that cost me $10 for a $1.75 toll. With toll roads going cashless, like most everywhere else, a country wide transponder looks very attractive. I wouldn't pay Newmar $273 when you can order one for $95, https://rvtollpass.com/. The article says, https://www.motor1.com/news/385308/r...wide-coverage/, you only get charged the monthly fee for the months in which you use the transponder. So I could see if you only use it once a month it would seem like a $15 service fee, but I would have gladly paid $15 to take a toll road around Houston than the nightmare I experienced driving thru it! Buying a single transponder that keeps me from having to worry about finding cash lanes, getting on a cashless toll road, or figuring how to get the right transponder for the roads I plan on traveling is very worthwhile to me.

I too would love to hear from those that are using this RV Toll Pass transponder and how it is working, if it's true your only charged for the months you use it. I wouldn't mind paying $94.95 for the country-wide transponder and $15/month for the months I use it. It's worth it to me to be able to drive worry free around this country on toll roads if I need to. You may only use it a couple of months a year, but it certainly would be worth it when you need it!
Old 12-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After digging around a bit I found that the unit mentioned above (Transcore RV Toll pass avail at Wesco for $94.95) is the same unit used by Newmar and Rev. just $178.05 less expensive. Maybe the up charge is for installation of a hard wired unit?

“The RV Toll Pass has a five-year battery life with typical use. It is available for immediate purchase online from major RV equipment suppliers WESCO Distribution and REV Group Parts.

TransCore also has collaborated with Newmar Corp. to pre-install RV Toll Pass in new RVs. Owners will simply activate the device online.

“This product makes perfect sense for any RVer who is traveling cross country on toll roads,” said John Sammut, VP of sales and marketing for Newmar.”

Reading the FAQs it looks like this would be worthwhile.

Here’s where it does and doesn't work (35 states)
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+Toll+Pass.pdf
Here’s where it can be purchased for $94.95
https://www.wescofastec.com/rv-toll-pass
Old 12-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
You'll not find a "universal" module since the East coast uses EZPASS and Tx uses a different system and has millions of customers.
I purchased one in FL that is compatible with 18 states but not TX. https://epass.cfxway.com/EpassWeb/ It was reasonable and you precharge the system with some money to cover tolls. So you may have to buy 2 if you plan to travel west.

An explanation https://www.wired.com/story/national-tolling-system/
According to their website, the Universal Toll Module now works on all toll roads in the US plus recently added Canada and Mexico. I read that a directive was issued to the DOT by congress that all interstate toll road tolls must be able to use a common toll module.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
I had to drive through Houston this summer because there were no "Cash" toll roads. I did drive on one toll road that did license lookup to pay the toll and that cost me $10 for a $1.75 toll. .... So I could see if you only use it once a month it would seem like a $15 service fee, but I would have gladly paid $15 to take a toll road around Houston than the nightmare I experienced driving thru it!
Why would you pay a $15 fee to avoid paying a $10 fee?

Tags
newmar