RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #1

unknown wire cut under 2014 DSDP

i retruned from trip and noticed a loom with white and brown wire , noted # of 1320 on the wire, just on the inside of the electric step that was cut and hanging down. I have no idea what this goes to as my trouble shoot seemingly has everything working. It seems to run down the length of the coach towards the tow plug.
Any ideas on what this may be?

thank you

kittellm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #2

I can't speak for Freightliner, but Spartan Chassis will sell you a complete electrical schematic -- specific to your coach! And that document contains ALL the wire color codes and fuses and circuit numbers for the Spartan Chassis. You send them your VIN number and some money, and they'll send you the electrical manual. I have a pdf version for my 2008 KSDP -- it's 125 pages!

I looked in my electrical manual to see if maybe I could find a similar wire, but couldn't. The highest wire number in my coach appears to be 1209, and I only found a very few multi-color wires. Almost all my wires are a single color.

Unfortunately this electrical system manual is ONLY for the chassis -- not the Newmar body. So if this wire is part of the coach body, the chassis electrical manual won't help.

So far, I haven't found such a detailed electrical manual from Newmar for my coach. I sure wish I had one.

P.S. If your wire is really cut in the middle -- you can easily splice it back together. I recommend the appropriate sized crimp butt splice -- with waterproof shrink tubing.

Don't solder. If the splice were to heat up, the solder can melt, and leave you with perhaps a hot wire floating around.

Either get the butt splice with built-in waterproof shrink tubing attached, or get some waterproof shrink tubing (a.k.a. Thermoset adhesive -- Anchor brand at marine hardware stores is great) and put it over both exposed ends. Once properly crimped and heat-shrunk, it'll be 100% waterproof, dustproof, and should be as good as the original solid wire.

Good luck!

WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:57 AM   #3

Thank you very much for the information. My idea was to splice as well, but I could not locate the other end....my chassis is a freightliner.
kittellm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Can't locate the other end. Oh boy. That tells me it was under tension -- and that's probably why it broke or came loose. I wonder if it got caught in a slide mechanism and was pulled until it let go? Or something else snagged and pulled on it.

Have you contacted Freightliner or Newmar to find out what that wire number and color code cross-references to?
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote