Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Unusual Oasis issue

Hoping someone has had this same issue:

No hot water present. Turn on bypass switch and hot water is present. Turn off bypass switch and hot water is present for several days and system performs normally. This scenario has repeated itself three times now. I called ITR and they really weren’t much help. They said maybe a loose connection or bad summer loop pump.
Any suggestions?
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

Oasis

You may want to check the 110 volt wires going to the burner box. They are connected with wire nuts. (Not the best for something that moves) ITR has always been very helpful to me. An intermittent pump could be the problem but in my experience either they work or they don't. I would lean towards a loose wire. The wires going to the pumps are a regular spade connection. Getting to them is the fun part. Are you familiar with the pumps location? I would definitely check the 110 volt wires to rule them out from a safety point of view. I'm sure others will have some ideas also.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The summer loop pump will not initially turn on until the fluid reaches a set temperature. Do you have the oil burner on when you are doing this? If you are using electric, is it possible the fluid hasn't reached the correct temperature? When you turn on the bypass switch you turn on the heat loop pumps to get hot water.

My guess is you have a sticking summer loop pump or a bad temperature sensor (lose wire?). Also, the previous poster mentioned the 110 V power lines. It always good to check your coach ammeter when you turn on AC1 and AC2. By running hot water faucets you should see the electric elements turn on. Verify that by turning AC1/AC2 off and on you should pick up about 12 amps on each side of your incoming line for a total of about 24 amps.

Here is the service manual if you want to continue to resolve this problem on you own.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oasis_Service_Manual.pdf (1.08 MB, 35 views)
Old 09-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

It could be an aquastat mechanism that is sticking. There is an aquastat (water temperature switch) that senses when cold water is coming (when you turn on a hot water faucet) into the tiny potable water plate heat exchnager that is inside your distribution module cabinet at the top. The heat exchanger is what heats up ypur potable water. If your space heating loop pumps are not operating (space heating is not called for), the switch turns on the summer loop pump to circulate hot glycol through the warm side of the plate heat exchanger to heat the cold water on the other side of the plates. The aquastat is located at the top of the cabinet where the cold water pipe comes in. The aquastat is clamped onto the oputside of the cold water line in a flimsy way and could also become lose so it does not contact the pipe well. When I replaced my aquastat, I wrapped aluminum foil tape around the switch to reinforce the connection to the pipe.

I am surprised the guys at the manufacturer, Iternational Thermal Research, were not much help. They are usually excellent.

Keith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
To finish up this post;
I went ahead and changed out the summer pump. It’s been a week now with no problems. Apparently the old pump worked intermittently. Glad I carry a spare pump.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you got it fixed. My first summer loop pump lasted around 6 months. I have around 2 1/2 years on the second one now. We also keep a spare.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
ptw,
IF the issue recurs, look at the aquastats!! Having said that and just for your edification, the pumps are magnetically coupled! In the photo of one of my failed pumps you can see where the magnetic shaft has split. As the centrifugal force of the shaft spinning causes the crack to grow and expand the shaft begins to drag on the housing. This failure tends to occur over time and thus the failure can be intermittent! I had a pump I nursed for a year before it hard failed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712a.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	887.2 KB
ID:	262399  

Tags
oasis