Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Upset with newmar customer service

Our windshield on our 99 Dutch Star cracked and during replacement, the serviceman stripped our windshield wiper base (pantograph adapter). He also installed the windshield incorrectly and now have to have it reset but that's another matter.
Called Newmar to order the part and was told it would ship that day and would cost $26 plus their 5% gratuity fee and shipping and we would receive it UPS. I asked the cost of shipping. Was told he did not know. Though everywhere else I shop on the web can tell me the cost of shipping, Newnar has never been able to.
Waited for the part to arrive for 8 days and no part. Cannot use the windshield wiper without this part and we are planning to go on a trip week.
Called Newmar and asked about the part and was told they didn't have the order in their system but then he found it and said that that part was on backorder and would not be in until the 26th. I asked why they didn't call and and tell me it was on backorder and I could have bought it elsewhere because we would be leaving this week for a trip. His reply "I doubt you can find this anywhere else!" "We don't have time to call customers about orders." He said he could ship the part straight from the warehouse UPS air and I could get it on Friday if I wanted to pay the expensive extra shipping charge. I asked how much that would be and he said "I don't know." When I paused to think, he said "Do you want the part or not?" "Well, it depends on what it will cost me." "Can you call the warehouse and ask and call me back?" "Well, how much are you willing to pay?", he said. I told him I wasn't willing to pay $100 which is what I was quoted a few months back for a small part. He said it wouldn't be $100 but how much would I be willing to pay? under $30? not over $30? I told him if the shipping was not over $30, I wanted the part shipped if they could guarantee that it would arrive by end of day Friday. He said, "Well, no one can guarantee it. The plane could crash, the plane might not start..." At which point, I interrupted him and told him he was being rididulous, that I am not a child and do not wish to be talked to in that manner. He asked again if I wanted the part or not. I told him to ship it. Total now was $58 including $30 shipping.
Several hours went by and no phone call. I searched the web and found the part at Cleveland Ignition Co. for $12. It is being delivered today in 2 days.
Called Newmar back and was explaining to the clerk in parts what had transpired and asked why they didn't call me back. Was told "we don't have time to call customers back and you said you'd pay $30 for shipping so no point in calling you back." So I asked if the shipping was $30 and he said it was and if I wanted the part, he could ship it that day because the part came in the day before. I told him I was just told it was on backorder and won't be in till the 26th so why didn't you know it was in stock when I called earlier. No answer. Just another condescening "Do you want the part or not?" I told him no and ... He didn't give me an opportunity to tell him I'd found it somewhere else for less than 1/2 what they wanted plus they knew how much it would cost to ship. He just said, "Okay. I'll pull the order and cancel it." And he proceeded to hang up on me.
We bought this Newmar used. We have spent thousands of dollars at Newmar for parts. I'm sure there will be manufacturer-only parts I will have to order from them but I will scour the internet and pay whatever their price before I'll call Newmar and that would be a last resort.
I also resent having to pay a 5% fee just for the privilege of spending my money with their company. Just paid them $2000 for 3 bay doors and the list is long and that 5% has added up to a lot of money. And how hard is it to look up the shipping charge? I have UPS rates on my computer and it's easy to find the charge when I sell on eBay. Surely they know the weight of their own product.
I see on the forum a lot of praise for the workers at Newmar and maybe I got this treatment because I am female. I have had contact with some workers who were nice and patient. Maybe this was an exception but I prefer to deal with someone who is respectful that I bought their product to begin with and that I am spending more of my limited funds to buy their products. Just because we own an old RV, does not mean we are rich on our Social Security.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

My experience with Newmar customer service was also poor. I finally had to file a complaint with BBB to get some action, even after letters to owner and president.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
They have always thought there products were " Gold lined " and top notch but they need to wake up service you got was poor and uncalled for and to pay to use there company is uncalled for too
Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My experience has been the opposite from the preceding posts in the three years I've owned a Newmar. I have found their customer service individuals to go above and beyond what you might normally expect......perhaps it is the approach ???
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

Also, never had a problem. In fact just the opposite Newmar has told us where to get parts for less in many cases.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope someone from Newmar reads this and contacts Roadstar99 to apologize and more importantly make sure this sort of customer "lack of service" never happens again. A company that does business like this is not going to be in business much longer. I know there are always two sides to a story but I have no reason to not believe the OP. If this is indeed an accurate decription of this transaction, I'm embarrassed to be a Newmar owner.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It shouldn't matter if your male or female you shouldn't have to be treated that way. Unfortunately customer service isn't what it's been in the past with a lot of companies. Sorry you were treated like that and maybe an email or call to someone in management could possibly help any future transactions not only for you but someone else. Good luck and hope you get the part that you need from the other source.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #8

I have never had this type of treatment from Newmar, quite the opposite. Their service both there or by telephone has always been remarkably good. Perhaps it was the approach, as suggested, or perhaps this particular employee. Did you get the name of who you dealt with?

I understand the want to know the shipping cost, but Newmar is not a mail order house. It is only recently that they take phone orders and ship direct, this is not their traditional method of business. They would prefer you order through an authorized dealer. I would think if they got more compliants from clients regarding the handling of phone in parts orders they may very well discontinue this service.

Sorry, I'm not saying you are wrong at all, just looking at the other side of the table.

Peter
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I have never had this type of treatment from Newmar, quite the opposite. Their service both there or by telephone has always been remarkably good. Perhaps it was the approach, as suggested, or perhaps this particular employee. Did you get the name of who you dealt with?

I understand the want to know the shipping cost, but Newmar is not a mail order house. It is only recently that they take phone orders and ship direct, this is not their traditional method of business. They would prefer you order through an authorized dealer. I would think if they got more complaints from clients regarding the handling of phone in parts orders they may very well discontinue this service.

Sorry, I'm not saying you are wrong at all, just looking at the other side of the table.

Peter
I have to agree with this quote also there has been many threads on Newmar parts, their costs and getting better pricing from other dealers.
Some items only Newmar will have, like doors for instance, but smaller items can get from others.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99
Our windshield on our 99 Dutch Star cracked and during replacement, the serviceman stripped our windshield wiper base (pantograph adapter). He also installed the windshield incorrectly and now have to have it reset but that's another matter.
Called Newmar to order the part and was told it would ship that day and would cost $26 plus their 5% gratuity fee and shipping and we would receive it UPS. I asked the cost of shipping. Was told he did not know. Though everywhere else I shop on the web can tell me the cost of shipping, Newnar has never been able to.
Waited for the part to arrive for 8 days and no part. Cannot use the windshield wiper without this part and we are planning to go on a trip week.
Called Newmar and asked about the part and was told they didn't have the order in their system but then he found it and said that that part was on backorder and would not be in until the 26th. I asked why they didn't call and and tell me it was on backorder and I could have bought it elsewhere because we would be leaving this week for a trip. His reply "I doubt you can find this anywhere else!" "We don't have time to call customers about orders." He said he could ship the part straight from the warehouse UPS air and I could get it on Friday if I wanted to pay the expensive extra shipping charge. I asked how much that would be and he said "I don't know." When I paused to think, he said "Do you want the part or not?" "Well, it depends on what it will cost me." "Can you call the warehouse and ask and call me back?" "Well, how much are you willing to pay?", he said. I told him I wasn't willing to pay $100 which is what I was quoted a few months back for a small part. He said it wouldn't be $100 but how much would I be willing to pay? under $30? not over $30? I told him if the shipping was not over $30, I wanted the part shipped if they could guarantee that it would arrive by end of day Friday. He said, "Well, no one can guarantee it. The plane could crash, the plane might not start..." At which point, I interrupted him and told him he was being rididulous, that I am not a child and do not wish to be talked to in that manner. He asked again if I wanted the part or not. I told him to ship it. Total now was $58 including $30 shipping.
Several hours went by and no phone call. I searched the web and found the part at Cleveland Ignition Co. for $12. It is being delivered today in 2 days.
Called Newmar back and was explaining to the clerk in parts what had transpired and asked why they didn't call me back. Was told "we don't have time to call customers back and you said you'd pay $30 for shipping so no point in calling you back." So I asked if the shipping was $30 and he said it was and if I wanted the part, he could ship it that day because the part came in the day before. I told him I was just told it was on backorder and won't be in till the 26th so why didn't you know it was in stock when I called earlier. No answer. Just another condescening "Do you want the part or not?" I told him no and ... He didn't give me an opportunity to tell him I'd found it somewhere else for less than 1/2 what they wanted plus they knew how much it would cost to ship. He just said, "Okay. I'll pull the order and cancel it." And he proceeded to hang up on me.
We bought this Newmar used. We have spent thousands of dollars at Newmar for parts. I'm sure there will be manufacturer-only parts I will have to order from them but I will scour the internet and pay whatever their price before I'll call Newmar and that would be a last resort.
I also resent having to pay a 5% fee just for the privilege of spending my money with their company. Just paid them $2000 for 3 bay doors and the list is long and that 5% has added up to a lot of money. And how hard is it to look up the shipping charge? I have UPS rates on my computer and it's easy to find the charge when I sell on eBay. Surely they know the weight of their own product.
I see on the forum a lot of praise for the workers at Newmar and maybe I got this treatment because I am female. I have had contact with some workers who were nice and patient. Maybe this was an exception but I prefer to deal with someone who is respectful that I bought their product to begin with and that I am spending more of my limited funds to buy their products. Just because we own an old RV, does not mean we are rich on our Social Security.
I have heard a lot of complaints recently about their service. Not sure what is going on with them. Was a time they had an outstanding reputation. Something has changed and prospective buyers are listening to the complaints.
THCarter0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seeing as they now sponsor this forum they may check this thread out its not like Newmar to have their reputation disassemble this way.

Their Mission
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #12

May I ask how they sponsor this forum?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Very satisfied with service since 2010, when I bought my 2006 DSDP - so I am sorry for this event and hope it is corrected by the Company
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I am sorry to hear that you received such poor service. It is totally silly for any company to expect you to agree to pay shipping charges without a solid estimate of the amount you will be charged. I am happy you found the part and wish you safe and happy travels.
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, service