Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
Not 100% sure but I thought he mentioned it wasn't necessary since its hot water which would already be good. I think they also mentioned not worth the effort to rinse it out either....
Just out of curiosity how often do you sanitize your system? Why?
Any campground you visit has chlorinated water. Fill the tank, let it sit for a few minutes then dump it unless you are going to use it soon.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Any campground you visit has chlorinated water. Fill the tank, let it sit for a few minutes then dump it unless you are going to use it soon.
Lynn
Hmmm, most of our campgrounds have well water, I thought these weren't required to be chlorinated...just pass water tests. Is my thinking wrong?
Old 09-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Lynn
I do it when the coach has been sitting for a while and just before a trip. Been sitting for a month or so and about to begin a cross country trip, which I will be using my FW tank a bit as I likely will stop at Walmarts, Cracker Barrels , etc. In case I need good water I will have it in my tank.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
De-winterize is the same thing your doing before trips, this is the link I gave you if you looked further.
Puring a cup of bleach into your water hose which has some old water removed will also sanitize the water hose.
Remove your whole house filter before putting in bleach, shut of WH and empty tank so bleached water sanitizes the tank and you will not have egg smelly water during the hot months of summer.
You should only need to sanitize maybe a couple time a year, your coach is well sanitized.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4946219]De-winterize is the same thing your doing before trips, this is [B][URL="http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/storage/dewinterizing.php
the link[/URL][/B] I gave you if you looked further.
Puring a cup of bleach into your water hose which has some old water removed will also sanitize the water hose.
Remove your whole house filter before putting in bleach, shut of WH and empty tank so bleached water sanitizes the tank and you will not have egg smelly water during the hot months of summer.
You should only need to sanitize maybe a couple time a year, your coach is well sanitized.
O now I gotcha
Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #34

Raw Bleach in pump

Quote:
Did this pump fit directly, or did you have to make any mods. I'm crunched for time so need a fast fix.
The typical 30 gallon tank needs 2 Tablespoons of bleach to sanitize. I agree with previous poster who said raw bleach ruined the rubber seals or impeller. Try mixing 2 Tbsp in a gallon of water and use that to sanitize.
Davemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Take the pump off and take to the cw dealer and ask for. Equivilant
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same thing happened to me last year.
Take the pump intake tube that goes into the pump and lift it as high as possible, pour water into the tube...fill it.
Then run the pump. When it primes you will hear a definite change in the motor sound and the fill tube will empty.
Having done this, your pump should be wetted and primed, ready to go.

Advise, please if this was the solution.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #37

Urgent and you put the question on a web site? Did you call Newmar? If the pump is not working, replace it.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our RV hadn't been used for about 7 months when we bought it. The water smelled kind of funky so I drained & sanitized the system following the instructions in the Operators Manual. It said to use the gravity fill port. If there is one, I haven't found it. I tried to pour it in through the tank fill port but there must be a check valve in it. So I drained the water hose, poured in the diluted bleach solution, connected it to the tank fill port and ran the water until the tank was full. I didn't bypass the hot water heater so I pulled the drain plug to get the bleach water out. Good thing since the sacrificial anode (which I didn't know was there) looked pretty sacrificed. So it got replaced. We're leaving for our first trip Monday 9-16. I can't wait.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #39

X2 on that. I've had the same panic attac.
Phlyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #40

I turn on the pump with the filler pipe in bleach and all I get is a medium humming sound. No hunt of it trying to work at all.
If the pump is humming and vibrating a bit, it is most likely running. With water in the FW tank, usually 25% or more, put the valve in the city position. Turn on the pump, open the low point drain until water comes out under pressure and you hear the pump begin to labor. You've just lost your prime. Give this a try.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #41

Urgent Water Pump Help

I agree your pump is not pumping, or you would hear the usual pumping sound that you usually heard. The humming sound will be the pump burning up, inside.
I have a number of rules that I try not to ignore, and one of them is "spare water pump" never leave home without one. I'm not sure what number it is but it is high up there on my list. And if the same model # of the pump you have now is the same as the new one then you should have no problem putting the new one in. Otherwise I have found that most not all but most of the pumps at the RV parts store are configured about the same.
mtnpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
After a trip to CW and some painstaking troubleshooting with fuses, etc, I have a working system. Now Az here we come!!

Thanks to all for your advice! I still would like to hear how y'all think I should inject some bleach into the FW tank without going thru the winterize process with the correct values open to the tank?
Update: Just used the pump in a real world trip to Green Bay and back. Turns out the pump fits the footprint for the install but NOT the specs required for my coach. Took a shower with ah 450d turned on full blast(diesel\elec) and within a few seconds the water turned ice cold. Turned off for a few seconds and back on and the water was hot again for a few more seconds. Talked to newmar (sitting in their old CG) and they got AH folks on call and I was told that the pump was putting out to many GPM. They stated that the 450d can take no more than 1.5 GPM. Now trying to see if I can return for a new on at CW where I purchased. The pump I replaced was rated 3.5GPM and the new one was rated 5.3. Tried to fix by installing a 1.5 gpm shower head and that did not help enough.

Tags
water, water pump