Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 09:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
US 101 California/Oregon

For those out west have you traveled the Northern California or Oregon coast on US 101? How is the the road traffic these days?

I have been on this road some 40+ years ago and remember it to be somewhat narrow but a gorgeous route to take north. Then again my memory isn’t so great and don’t know if I should just go north on I-5

Thanks for input from those who have traveled in last 5 years
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I believe the 101 is still closed above Brookings, OR because a slide destroyed the road. In general the 101 is fine but expect several areas of road construction but nothing too bad. It is a beautiful drive.
Flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We took this last year from San Francisco to just north of the Oregon border. 3 years earlier we took it all the way to Washington.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:18 AM   #4

We drove from Paso Robles Wine Country (great place to stay at Cava Robles RV) to Brookings, Oregon on 101. Beautiful drive through the redwoods in Northern Cal. Be sure to stop and walk through the redwoods of Jedediah Smith State Park near Crescent City. CA Hwy 1 from Hearst Castle to Monterey is also a beautiful ride when it is open. I-5 is kind of a boring drive. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:24 AM   #5

Awesome trip, been doing it for years from Southern California to the Oregon Coast. Because of the heavy rains the last few years in the area, there are many sections that are down to one lane due to construction, causing significant delays, if your not in a hurry, it’s an awesome trip, enjoy the camping along the way.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv2ly View Post
we drove from paso robles wine country (great place to stay at cava robles rv) to brookings, oregon on 101. Beautiful drive through the redwoods in northern cal. Be sure to stop and walk through the redwoods of jedediah smith state park near crescent city. Ca hwy 1 from hearst castle to monterey is also a beautiful ride when it is open. I-5 is kind of a boring drive. Have fun and enjoy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	240217Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0975.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	240218
Old 03-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

It all depends on how much time you have. 101 is much more beautiful, but will take a little more time. 5 is not as beautiful, but faster. That would be my way of looking at it.

In addition to Jedediah Smith there is also Redwood NP near Orick in CA. On up the OR Coast are many attractions including Sea Lion Caves a bit north of Florence where, if you don't mind the smell, many of these mammals spend the winter.

Any closures on 101 in OR are repaired fairly rapidly, at least to single lane, as it is a main N-S transportation route. We use the southern part, Coos Bay to Brookings, several times a year and I don't remember there being much construction to contend with there. There was a recent closure in that area that could still be single lane traffic.

One possible problem is that once you commit to 101 in OR, there are only a few routes to get back to I-5 if you should decide to do so. All of them are curvy and slow going.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #8

We've driven 101 from San Francisco to Port Townsend, Washington many times. It's one of our favorite drives. Don't avoid it. We stayed at the state parks with our 40' MH. If you decide to cut over to I-5 then any of the roads are just fine. Yes, they may be slower but very doable. However, it's best to continue up 101 instead of I-5.... much more pleasant with gorgeous scenery!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When we travel major interstates and smaller highways, we use 50mph as a time calculator to our destination. On the 101 in Oregon, 35-40mph is a better time calculator. The roads are good, but a lot of stop and go and short hill climbs with curves. There are a lot of beach side turnouts with beautiful views. Be prepared to pull over quickly, to take advantage of these.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all that have commented. I didn’t need much convincing because there were so many places between SF and Cannon Beach Oregon I wanted to visit. We are not in a big hurry, as we full time.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure you stop near Golds Beach (several campgrounds) and take Jerry's Jet boat ride up the Rogue river. They have several during he day, including a lunch and dinner ride. Make a reservation at least the day before.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Make sure you stop near Golds Beach (several campgrounds) and take Jerry's Jet boat ride up the Rogue river. They have several during he day, including a lunch and dinner ride. Make a reservation at least the day before.
Thanks for suggesting but website says they don’t start till May 1st, will be passing thru mid April. Need to be in Calgary May 3rd. Next trip thru.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A great place to stay and see the redwoods. Be sure and look for the wooden fish high up in the trees. It marks the high water mark of the 1964 floods. Be sure and call to make sure they are open as they have a short spring / summer season.

World Famous Avenue of the Giants | Ancient Redwoods RV

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Didn't realize you were going that early. You'll have a great trip, but expect some rain that time of the year.

Tags
california