Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

US GEAR TOAD Brake System

Does anyone have this type of brake system? I bought the coach and TOAD as a package and can't get it to work/activate. Found a loose wire connection, fixed that but the module on the coach dash should show several flashing red lights and then go green and stay green. I get nothing, like no power signal to coach module. Wayne

wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked the seven pin connector in rear of coach, wires will some times loosen up in plug and plug connector.

7 PIN CONNECTOR

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
US Gear

Have had that system since 2006 on my toad. Have had no problems but have called their tech support which has been great. Have had a loose pin in the connector wire from the MH to the toad.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #4

Check wire connections under the dash where it joins onto the Chassis wiring. Then the 7pin plug, of course. Finally, your "brain" might be bad in your toad. I replace mine about every two years....seems to be a weakness in the system.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #5

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will look at the 7 pin connector closely and Slabman, I did find a loose connector wire (purple I believe) going to a black box located in the Toad on the left sidewall drivers foot space. I reconnected it and cleaned all the wiring by retying them as they were a mess down there. I thought that would do it , but still nothing. The device on the coach dash, is there anything up there I should be looking at?
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wracinti View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions, I will look at the 7 pin connector closely and Slabman, I did find a loose connector wire (purple I believe) going to a black box located in the Toad on the left sidewall drivers foot space. I reconnected it and cleaned all the wiring by retying them as they were a mess down there. I thought that would do it , but still nothing. The device on the coach dash, is there anything up there I should be looking at?
I don't use that system but maybe this link will help, or a call to the tech support if all else fails.

http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm
Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #7

Have you tried pulling the break away? That will test the system in the car.

Next, test the plug on the coach. Test and eliminate 1 piece at a time.

When we changed Jeeps and I took the plug off the Jeep I found a surprising amount of corrosion on one wire. It was only a matter of time till that wire broke.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On that system (Which I had) if you measure the voltage at the towed end on the BLUE wire, Disconnected from the RV you should see 9 to 12 volts. If you see this then odds are the towed portion is good

on the RV side you should see no voltage

The BLUE wire is the control wire, the red wire is towed charge and is connected via circuit breakers to the batteries on both the Motor home and the towed.

Now, when you plug in you should see only the GREEN led, then if you depress the lever on the TC-6000 controller you should see the red lights march across the board.. An observer outside should hear the vacuum pump on the towed engage and may even notice the brakes being operated (you can if you look at the pedal)

That is about all i can tell you from here.

When you apply the Motor home brakes you should immed hear the vacuum pump on the towed kick in (The observer should that is) soon as the brake lights come on, You may see ONE red light.

When you are rolling and use the motor home brakes you should see the red lights march accross depending on the speed and how hard you stand on the pedal. More stopping power = more red lights.

Tags
brake, toad