Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
So, what I’d like to do is rig one as a USB input to my Radio head, and the other one a high-speed charger like above.
OK … thanks for all the input. I never knew any of this. Actually the above is what I would like to do as well. I have the standard Sony radio in mine. I will keep watching this thread for a couple days and then see if I can figure it out.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing, RB! You found a dual-port round one? Share what you used, please!

Wondering if this one would work...

Dual USB Charger Socket Power Outlet - Quick Charge 3.0 & 2.4A Port for Car Boat Marine Rv Mobile with Wire Fuse DIY Kit (QC 3.0 - Green) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FLTTXBD..._Z8uTCbD164BSQ

i actually have 2 DUAL port USB plugs at the left side of the driver’s console. So, what I’d like to do is rig one as a USB input to my Radio head, and the other one a high-speed charger like above.
The part you linked to would be ideal.

I took a standard cig lighter accessory charger and disassembled it. I then connected the end of the USB cable that normally went to the radio into the accessory and hardwired the power by soldering leads. I then used a small pill jar to encase everything.

Now that I see your part, I wonder why I did all that :(
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #17

FLSteve, I have the same setup, my Garmin came with the cig lighter charger, I plug it into the dash with a splitter as my Even Brake needs 12 volt in the same vacinity. The dash usb will charge my TPMS.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #18

I believe mine are the opposite,when phones are plugged into the 110 side they will not get any power unless running on some type of shore power.The usb ports on dash no problem with phones.I use radio usb to play Pandora thru speakers.
mustangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman View Post
I believe mine are the opposite,when phones are plugged into the 110 side they will not get any power unless running on some type of shore power.The usb ports on dash no problem with phones.I use radio usb to play Pandora thru speakers.

MustangMan, you missed the OP’s issue. Let me bring it back on track for you.

It’s not whether the 110v/USB outlets have power or not; of course the inverter or shoreline must be on, in order for them to work. When powered, these outlets apparently feed a pretty decent current of 2 amps or more.

It’s not about cellphone, or tablet charging, as those devices will accept any current (amps) from ANY of the USB plugs, whether 1A, 2.1A, or fast 3A+. BTW, those are all USB standard voltage of 5v.

The issue is that GARMIN GPS units such as the 770, WILL NOT CHARGE if fed less than their required 2 amps.

And, since the 12v plugs around the dash, whether a “cigarette lighter” receptacle, or the single/dual USB plug, all have a LOWER current of 1 amp, those WILL NOT charge the GARMIN GPS units.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Simply using the cigarette lighter plug that GARMIN supplies, is a TERRIBLE option for folks like myself who only have ONE cigarette outlet right by my ignition key and drawer to my right. This forces me to mount my GARMIN in the center, rather than the preferred place on the left window.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The part you linked to would be ideal.

I took a standard cig lighter accessory charger and disassembled it. I then connected the end of the USB cable that normally went to the radio into the accessory and hardwired the power by soldering leads. I then used a small pill jar to encase everything.

Now that I see your part, I wonder why I did all that :(

Aw, bummer! Sorry, but you’re lot more industrious than I, so I’m sure you did a good job. ;-)

But, actually, the part I showed you doesn’t exactly do what we are wanting, at least for one plug. It would be beneficial to have a combo USB receptacle in which one of the USB ports goes TO THE RADIO’S USB input, the other port be a HIGH-SPEED USB port. That would be cool.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
@captaingizmo:

Use the part you found, but locate it inside the dash. Use the qc3.0 port for one of the USB cables from the built in port, and run the other to your dash radio primary USB. Hardwire the port you found to 12v power, and as a bonus buy an extension and run it to another useable location for a tablet etc.

Put the wire end of the USB port from Amazon into a pill bottle and secure with tape. This is all hidden nicely and solves your problem without a drill.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #22

Quote:
... P.S. Simply using the cigarette lighter plug that GARMIN supplies, is a TERRIBLE option for folks like myself who only have ONE cigarette outlet right by my ignition key and drawer to my right. This forces me to mount my GARMIN in the center, rather than the preferred place on the left window.
I added a dual cigarette lighter socket extension under the dash by cutting off the plug and hard wiring it to 12 volts. A convenient source under the dash is the wiring running to the existing cigarette lighter socket. Then I connected my GPS and dash cam to this and tucked all the wires up under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual sockets.png
Views:	36
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	242265  
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
@captaingizmo:

Use the part you found, but locate it inside the dash. Use the qc3.0 port for one of the USB cables from the built in port, and run the other to your dash radio primary USB. Hardwire the port you found to 12v power, and as a bonus buy an extension and run it to another useable location for a tablet etc.

Put the wire end of the USB port from Amazon into a pill bottle and secure with tape. This is all hidden nicely and solves your problem without a drill.

The problem is that this receptacle is SIMPLY 12v POWER only, NOT USB inputs. Still looking. ;-/
Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gluckman View Post
I added a dual cigarette lighter socket extension under the dash by cutting off the plug and hard wiring it to 12 volts. A convenient source under the dash is the wiring running to the existing cigarette lighter socket. Then I connected my GPS and dash cam to this and tucked all the wires up under the dash.

Thanks. This is fine IF YOU HAVE a cigarette plug cable, such as the GARMIN, and a definite solution even if you only need a SINGLE receptacle and want it hidden.

I’ve actually found at least 1 spare 12v lead floating around behind my dash...insert “scratching my head”. ha.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The problem is that this receptacle is SIMPLY 12v POWER only, NOT USB inputs. Still looking. ;-/
WOW ... a light bulb just came on.

So a USB plug can only be for 12v power ... or ... it can be a full USB plug that does more than just deliver 12v power?

Even though they all look the same from the front.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #26

USB standards are 5V DC not 12V (in addition to the data)
https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Car-S.../dp/B002HQYM5E
Old 04-17-2019, 01:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
WOW ... a light bulb just came on.

So a USB plug can only be for 12v power ... or ... it can be a full USB plug that does more than just deliver 12v power?

Even though they all look the same from the front.

FLSteve
You're on the right track, but let me get you all the way 'round it.

USB ports carry 5v as THE STANDARD. Ok, now that you think you can rely on that, I'll now confuse you and let you know that the newer QUICK, or FAST, charging USB ports can/will go up to over 9v! If you wanna know more, PCmag has a great article on the QUICK/FAST USB chargers.

So, that's power, and all USB ports carry power.

BUT....USB ports CAN be DATA ports as well and...as you've come to learn...there AIN'T NO standards for labeling them as such!!! STOOOOPID, huh?

In my perfect world, they'd be lit, labeled, carry data, be Fast charging and...of course...make me espresso whenever I want!

HTH
Old 04-17-2019, 03:47 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a plug that has USB extensions. https://amzn.to/2GpqmH8