Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #1

The Poll about Percentage off list price has prompted me to raise a question I have about prices of used RV's and where to get good information regarding the value of a used RV.

It appears that most people say you should be able to get between 25 and 28 off MSRP fairly easily on a new order. So for example if I look at a DSDP 4023 the MSRP of just the coach is $281,775 (got the number off the Lees RV site) 28% off brings the cost to $202,863.

Now if I go into the NADA guides and look at the 2007 4023 it lists the low retail at $213,760 and the average retail at $257,540 (or about 55K higher than I can get a new coach). Continuing this out the 2005 is also more according to the NADA guide than the new unit.

So - - what am I doing wrong? Where can one get the real cost of a older coach?

Thanks in advance
-Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #2

All things being equal, 2% per month depreciation.

Hummer H2
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #3

Bill Moss the true 'cost' of a used coach be it Motor Home, 5th, TT all the way down, is "How much does the dealer have into it". The NADA book only gives an approxamite selling price. When a dealer gives a price of a trade in he is making sure that he has as little money into your unit as possable. He gives you a low ball trade in price,' Wholesale', and then telling you he is selling you that new coach at close to his wholesale price. But who really knows what he paid for that unit (they never really show you their invoice from the factory with all there markdown incentives that the dealership receives.

2006 Permobil Wheelchair
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Moss:
The Poll about Percentage off list price has prompted me to raise a question I have about prices of used RV's and where to get good information regarding the value of a used RV.

It appears that most people say you should be able to get between 25 and 28 off MSRP fairly easily on a new order. So for example if I look at a DSDP 4023 the MSRP of just the coach is $281,775 (got the number off the Lees RV site) 28% off brings the cost to $202,863.

Now if I go into the NADA guides and look at the 2007 4023 it lists the low retail at $213,760 and the average retail at $257,540 (or about 55K higher than I can get a new coach). Continuing this out the 2005 is also more according to the NADA guide than the new unit.

So - - what am I doing wrong? Where can one get the real cost of a older coach?

Thanks in advance
-Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been studying this subject intensely for two months since I have both a 2006 Discovery and 2006 DSDP 4023 for sale. What I find is that a fairly consistent set of numbers exist which is 18% off original selling price the first year and then 10% off the next several years then gradually decreasing %. In terms of NADA, I find that the Internet edition is not equal to dealer edition. Using the Internet addition, requires using the low retail with no adders and then to arrive at dealer trade-in(wholesale value) subtracting 10%-15%. The more expensive the motor home the more the discount factor moves toward the 15% level. I recently tested this information by negotiating the possible sale of the 2006 D to a well known very large FL dealer and their number was right on the money.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #5

Forget low retail, average retail, etc. The real value of a used coach is the NADA wholesale value.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dav5942:
Forget low retail, average retail, etc. The real value of a used coach is the NADA wholesale value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The low retail is the selling price a dealer will attempt to get or one that the owner can do likewise.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now if I go into the NADA guides and look at the 2007 4023 it lists the low retail at $213,760 and the average retail at $257,540 (or about 55K higher than I can get a new coach). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In this example the Wholesale price is about $171,000 or 80% of Low Retail. That is the amount a dealer will have in that motorhome. He can ask any amount he wants, but I would offer $176,000.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #8

Based on a couple of years of study while going through the buying process myself, I submit that as a rule of thumb you should pay 75% of MSRP for a new coach, 60-62% for a one year old, 55-57% for a two year old, and 50-52% for a three year old. Condition, mileage, and popularity of the coach can make a difference, but that's about average. For a coach more than three years old, reduce the price by 5-6% per year.

Whether you can buy at that price or not is, as mentioned above, dependent on what the seller has in it. In particular, trying to buy from an individual who is "upside down"--an unfortunately common circumstance--is tough.

That said, I wouldn't quibble over a percentage point or two if it's a coach that I'm convinced will work for me for many years. Being happy with what you bought is worth a few thousand, assuming you can afford it.

2001 Grand Cherokee
ViperDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the responses.

ViperDriver as a follow-up question How can one get the MSRP of RV's for years gone past?

Thanks
-Bill
Old 02-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #10

Bill, I don't know of a central source for previous year MSRP's--others here may. In our case, we quickly narrowed our search to Newmar diesel pushers about 2-3 years old in the 36-40 foot range. I then found people on this and other forums who had models in that range and PM-ed them for info and opinion. Most were very gracious and offered invaluable info, including several who shared pricing with me. I also spent a lot of time on the online sales sites and built a spreadsheet from what I found. Finally, NADA provided guidance, as several above have discussed.

Another option that I didn't take advantage of is the RV Consumer Group's CD. They get mixed reviews but the majority of people who have used them seem to be satisfied.

Finally, Bob Gumersall has a nice article on used RV pricing. I'll also be so bold as to point you at an article I wrote on the overall cost of owning and operating a motorhome for full time use. It summarizes what I've learned by reading and asking questions of anyone who will listen.

Sorry if that's too many words but I hope it helps.

2001 Grand Cherokee
ViperDriver is offline   Reply With Quote