Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Humm, get an electric snow blower and exercise the generator, running that
Great idea

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #30

Using Generator to Run AC While Driving

I agree with those who believe the net effect to the mpg using the engine A/C is negligible. Running the genset under load for a time while on the move is a good idea, especially on gas. It's seems like you're splitting hairs to be overly concerned about the V-10 mpg. The mpg is low, you know that it's low when you purchase the coach & if it's a critical issue, then don't by a class A RV, gas or diesel.

Dngreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #31

this conversation about fuel mileage and the Generator needing to be run periodically to keep them in working order gives me pause:

What about all of the standby generators at homes and businesses that hardly, if ever, get any usage? Do they not work when needed simply because they did not get any practice every month?
I've never owned a home generator, so I don't know much about them, but my generator on my coach has always worked fine regardless of how much I use it, or don't use it... it's an engine, just like my lawnmower, and I don't use it for many months or more and don't go out to exercise it during that time.

as for fuel mileage, I'm not sure that my chassis Fuel Mileage indicator takes any generator usage into the equation. My understanding is that it measures the amount of fuel going to/through the engine, not a measure of the level of the fuel tank.
So I would assume that running the generator while traveling will not be reflected in any dash indicator of fuel mileage for the coach, but your fuel gauge will indicate that you have to fill your tank more often...

The fuel mileage impact of running the generator will probably be less when you are interstate driving at 60mph versus stop and go driving...for instance,
if I get an average of 11.4mpg normally at 60mph, I would then get around 9.58mpg while running my generator, if at a 1gph generator usage rate.

check my math, though : )

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

What about all of the standby generators at homes and businesses that hardly, if ever, get any usage? Do they not work when needed simply because they did not get any practice every month?
: )
Many, of not all, standby generators are routinely run.

I know our Long Island Fire Department runs their's every week.

The power company, in Marathon FL., runs some big, rail car size, backup units about once a month.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
For 3 or 4 min, why even bother?
You have to shut them down to hook up to shore power anyways.
96 Wideglide
Because of the way the automatic transfer switch in my coach works my generator doesn't have to be shut down while I hook up to shore power.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #34

I do this for driving in hot temps;

I hang a bed comforter from ceiling to floor, behind the pilot and copilot seats, then run the dash air. I use an adjustable shower rod and its so happens my 2 forward slides line up to hold the curtain rod. Without slides I would probably have to use a longer rod with 2 comforters.

I'm a solo traveler which probably makes a difference in using this technique.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
...So as it gets to hot for the dash A/C, I start the generator and turn on the roof A/C, running both the dash and front roof unit. (I usually have my roof A/C preset so that all I have to do is turn it on).

Once we arrive at our destination, on hot days, I'll turn on the rear A/C and leave both of them running while we check in and move to our site. Once we're plugged in, I shut off the generator.
Don - So I have two questions about the info above. I believe my last DP was set up the same as the new DSDP i have on order, and I want to get it right. On my 2004 itasca w/onan 7500 genset, I avoided loads at genset start up for an additional minute or so (beyond the electronically imposed ~30 seconds or so), so having the A/C preset to go was something I avoided. Also, I always shut down the genset and A/C equipment before plugging into the shore power to avoid 'stressing out' the coach's transfer switch. (Incidentally I also never shut down the genset at simple power down with A/C's running to avoid spiking/stressing the A/C units.) From the above it would seem that it isn't necessary or is undue worry. Have I had it wrong all this time? Thoughts?
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #36

in summer there are many times we've run the air conditioners with the AGS and have never had any issues with the generator starting or stopping with the units ON, it takes a minute before they kick on when the generator starts anyway... I believe they are designed to start the fan only first, then the compressor
Old 12-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #37

Motorhome fuel economy?

When I am fueling my rig and the guy next to me who is fueling his Prius asks me how many mpg I get, I always laugh and say oh about 7.5 and when they say wow that's not very good, I simply ask how many miles per gallon their house gets?

With the cost of fuel today, does it really matter? In 2014 when diesel was close to $4.00, a tenth or two in mpg made an impact on the bottom line after filling that 100 gallon tank.

This past summer we traveled through TX, NM,AZ,NV and UT with temperatures pushing 100 every afternoon. I started the day of travel with just the dash ac and when the DW said she was hot I started the gen set with the front roof ac thermostat already on. Then ran both dash and roof until the DW said she was cold, and then I would turn the dash compressor off and let the blower continue to recirculate the inside air. About an hour before arriving at the next stop we would turn on the other two roof units to cool the whole coach. When the DW is happy everyone is happy!

As far as fuel consumption goes the engine driven compressors today are far more efficient than years ago when they were two cylinder units that cycled on and off. Starting the gen set with the ac units on does not harm the gen set because they start with the blower and have a delay on the compressor coming on.

In reality the ac is free during the summer because the engine uses less fuel to propel the coach than in the colder months. This is due to the air being less dense therefore the aerodynamic drag is less and additionally the tires run hotter and have a reduced rolling resistance. Large truck fleets have significantly lower monthly fuel costs during the hot months, compared to the winter months.

In addition, the average motorhome is driven less than 10,000 miles per year, so why fret over a few tenths of a mpg to be comfortable while traveling.

Also those that think you can calculate mpg numbers with an accuracy greater than 10% when traveling from day to day over different highways in different wind and temperature conditions and be able to repeatedly fill your tank to the exact same place every time, are kidding yourself.

Enjoy your RV travels and please don't worry about ac affecting fuel economy.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Once again, we sure appreciate everyone being so helpful and giving us all your suggestions great information.

Love this forum and kind people!

Happy Holidays!

Tags
generator