Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Using the Engine Brake

How are most of you utilizing the Engine Brake, when on and when off?

If it's left on continually it seems to get very frustrating to have it start downshifting every time the throttle is released especially in stop/go traffic. Going down a long grade it works fine to leave it on but on a gradual down/level/down type grade having it down shift/level off/down shift again and so forth seems there should be a better solution. I find I'm leaving it turned off more so than having it on.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wagonmaster2,
My brake is off unless a long grade is going to be encountered.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 for only using it when it is needed. Sometimes I may forget to turn it off, but rarely do I forget to engage it. Mountains and steep declines make me very attentive and cautious.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Same here, on only for grades and sometimes exiting highway speeds.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We use the exhaust brake only on the open road. When we get near a town or other inhabited area, it gets switched off. As others have said, the primary use is on long, downhill grades.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #6

There is a thread some place here on getting the engine brake reprogrammed so that it doesn't engage as soon as the throttle is released. From memory an easy re-program, pretty popular and I think that it engages the engine brake when the air brakes are applied.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #7

I use it in thick traffic since the four wheelers don't seem to know I leave room to be able to stop. They think they are supposed to cut in. Of course, I always have it on when traveling in the mountains, etc. Love the exhaust brake!!!
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If and when the exhaust brake in on the engine will not coast when the accelerator is released, and therefore (apparently) use fuel.

With my SilverLeaf VmsPc I can see the fuel usage and with the exh brake off and the engine coasting the fuel mileage goes up tp 256 MPG; with it on the fuel mileage/usage will vary with the transmission gear selected, but much less than 256 MPH. So... I am believer in the exh brake off when travelling over rolling hills where I can coast and gain fuel mileage. Of course when descending a long steep grade I use the exh brake. I also use it in town or anytime I want to minimize service brake use. I can easily use it in this manner since I have a foot pedal-switch to actuate the exh brake. I do not have the normal dash switch.

Here's how I use the exh brake in traffic: when traffic slows I press the exh brake pedal (left foot) and the transmission begins to down shift to 4th gear, and the coach slows. As I get closer to the stopped traffic I apply the service brakes to bring the coach to a stop. This way I am using the transmission more than the service brakes.

I was going to install one in line with the foot pedal, but have found that I really have no use for an on-off switch... the pedal works great.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll jump on this bandwagon! There's a time for auto-activated stuff, but it's not all the time. I turn on the exhaust brake, I turn on the headlights.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is always on, but usually only on the low setting, when I get to a 6% downgrade I might need it in the middle position. Have hardly ever felt the need for high. According to Cummins high gives about 600 hp of hold back on our ISX.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #11

The thing about Jacobson brakes. if that is what you have on your engine, the application of engine braking occurs milliseconds after your foot is off the gas pedal, long before you even get close to the brake pedal. That is the safety factor.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #12

Great question about the engine brake. I have no idea what I should be doing, but here is what I am doing...

I am generally driving in the mountain west... AZ and UT. Plenty of long, curvy highway and steep, rolling grades. My goal is to keep my speed at 55mph. I want to avoid going slower than 50 and avoid going faster than 60. (interstate speeds on I17)

My challenge is the high setting will slow me down too much at times and the low setting is not strong enough. So, I end up with one hand on the wheel, and the other hand on the engine brake switch.

There are times where I am rapidly flipping the brake switch from low, high and off. Damn switch sounds like popping popcorn. I am not happy about this, but the only alternatives are too slow, too fast, or too much use of the service brakes.

Also, I am trying to somewhat manage fuel mileage. So, coming out of a steep decline and the road is straight-flat or straight and uphill, I will turn off the engine brake a little early to build some speed for the straight away (or climb).

My concerns are two-fold;
1. I am going to wear out the switch
2. At times, I need a 3rd hand... 2 for the steering wheel and 1 for the switch.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:09 AM   #13

Mine is always off until needed also. When it is needed I go right to the highest setting as the low setting has almost no impact at all.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Mine is always on, but usually only on the low setting, when I get to a 6% downgrade I might need it in the middle position. Have hardly ever felt the need for high. According to Cummins high gives about 600 hp of hold back on our ISX.

I'm with Mr D. I leave it on low. I feel it gives me an edge stopping with shorter distances if need be, and I've learned that I never can know when that need will be. The mpg difference is not as important to me as the increased safety factor.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine